Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2018, 01:07 AM

1,999 posts, read 4,873,701 times

Advertisements

Their are other hotter locations in the Central Valley,and it's even much worst with the summer heat in places like Las Vegas or Phoenix.

Winters in Sacramento is a breeze....Up in Reno it's worst.

The Sacramento Region probably has the mildest weather in the Central Valley when it comes to Summer or Winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
What's with the nonsense of Sacramento having great weather? It's horrible: very hot in the summer and very foggy and frosty in the winter!!!!!!!!!!!!! Watch: 106 in probably 2 weeks from now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2018, 01:12 AM

527 posts, read 1,323,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californiaguy2007 View Post
Their are other hotter locations in the Central Valley,and it's even much worst with the summer heat in places like Las Vegas or Phoenix.

Winters in Sacramento is a breeze....Up in Reno it's worst.

The Sacramento Region probably has the mildest weather in the Central Valley when it comes to Summer or Winter.
the only thing I can deduce from that person's comment is the underlying issue of bay area vs. sacramento and just hating for no real reason other than a perception that it's hot like vegas.

Old 05-21-2018, 02:29 AM

6,888 posts, read 8,263,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob98LS1 View Post
the only thing I can deduce from that person's comment is the underlying issue of bay area vs. sacramento and just hating for no real reason other than a perception that it's hot like vegas.
It’s a combination of hate, ignorance, and Bay Area arrogance. From some reason people on the Cali Coast have no clue that most of the rest of the nation has hot and uncomfortable summer weather.

Sac averages 10 days/year of 100F plus, if u factor in heat index Sac averages only 5 days. Unlike most cities, the heat index is lower than the standing temp in Sac because of our low humidity.

Phoenix is around 90 days, Austin around 60 days of 100F plus per year.

Old 05-21-2018, 10:24 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,923,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob98LS1 View Post
This doesn't make much sense. "often 105".... right.... Having grown up here I feel like you get probably 2 maybe 3 weeks spaced out where you get 100 or higher out of the 52 weeks of the year. Doesn't feel often especially since it hasn't been hot here since last september which was 8 months ago which has been mild. Chimerique am I in the ball park here?
Just last year and year before, Sac. was over 110 and around that for nearly entire week. 2 years ago, people were collapsing one by one during the heatwave. San Jose completely missed out with temps only in the upper 80's. When Sacramento is 105 and above, SJ is only in the upper 80's and low 90's! Sac. got the blistering hot northerly winds while SJ had northwesterly sea breeze. People don't go outside in many days in Sacramento due to the high heat. San Jose normally doesn't hit 100 degrees at all for the year. Sacramento weather is bad, period!

Old 05-21-2018, 10:54 AM

764 posts, read 2,036,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
people were collapsing one by one during the heatwave
lol

Old 05-21-2018, 10:11 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,958,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
It’s a combination of hate, ignorance, and Bay Area arrogance. From some reason people on the Cali Coast have no clue that most of the rest of the nation has hot and uncomfortable summer weather.

Sac averages 10 days/year of 100F plus, if u factor in heat index Sac averages only 5 days. Unlike most cities, the heat index is lower than the standing temp in Sac because of our low humidity.

Phoenix is around 90 days, Austin around 60 days of 100F plus per year.
I am a lifelong resident of Orange County and think Sacramento summers are, behind maybe Las Vegas, Redding, and Fresno, the most miserable I've experienced.

Is it because of ignorance? Nope. I have spent ten weeks in the summer in New Orleans, which is as hot and humid as it gets in America. And Sacramento summer days are much more brutal than those of the Gulf Coast.

Is it because of arrogance? Nope. One of my favorite cities is Biloxi, Mississippi--a town that is by no means any more wealthy, prestigious or glamorous than Sacramento. If anything, it's more religious and conservative and un-hipster. But Biloxi's got its charms--85 degree Gulf of Mexico waters, barrier islands, bayous, and pine forests. Fine, Sacramento's "close" to Tahoe--by "close" I mean 2 hours. What's in Sacramento itself? Ugly looking, out-of-place Douglas fir trees, and once you're in the suburbs, it's dead, brown, bone dry, pan-flat prairies.

Why are Sacramento summers even more brutal than those of New Orleans? It's simple. Those "heat indexes" account only for the actual temperature and humidity. They don't account for the cloud cover, wind speed, or rain. In New Orleans, sure, it's very often 95 degrees with an 80 degree dew point, producing a heat index of 115F, but there's lots of cloud cover, lots of shade, and a breeze coming in from the Gulf. Not to mention most afternoons at 3 or 4pm some rain will come in dropping the temperatures by 20 degrees.

Compare this to Sacramento. Sure, maybe it's bone dry humidity, but most summer days there's not a single cloud in the sky. There's not a flicker of wind, UNTIL the sun sets and the delta breeze kicks in, making for very chilly nights. Rain in the summer to cool you off in Sacramento is a pipe dream--rare as snow.

Old 05-22-2018, 12:17 AM

Jester,

I completely disagree with you on just about everything you said.

You clearly admit that the heat index is out control in the humid south, heat indexes of 115F in New Orleans and it never cools down, A/C has to run 24/7. Night time temps in the 90's. It's never that uncomfortable in Sacramento in the summer. I might add a Sacramento summer is more comfortable than the northeast as well, spend a summer in NYC or DC, hot sticky, smelly, moldy.

A Sacramento summer brings you an average heat index of 86F-90F for a high temp throughout the summer, but more importantly it brings you an average of 58F-62F low temperatures at night and in the morning. That means you don't have to run your A/C as long, and you have actual relief from the heat in the morning. From 6am to Noon you have very comfortable temps.

Sacramento can also count on the winds from the cold Pacific to cool us down as opposed to the wind in the gulf which is humid and sticky and the wind in Phoenix and the desert southwest is bone-dry fire hot with huge dust storms.

You talk about cloud cover, well, a cloudy overcast sky during the summer fools you into thinking that the sun isn't as damaging, but it it because ultraviolet rays penetrate through clouds and do just as much damage.

Sacramento is big on trees and covered patios as we are the 3rd sunniest major metro in the nation during the summer. Simply stay out of the direct sun especially during the hottest times of the day, which again is why I love Sacramento summers because we can count on it cooling down 25-30 degrees.

Sacramento humidity is just about perfect too because the humidity is dry around 10-20% during the hottest time of the day, but not bone dry like 2-5% in desert climates. Sacramento summer humidity jumps to 60-70% at night combined with cool winds from the Pacific (Delta Breeze) which is a lot better than a bone dry at night in Phoenix, Vegas, Redding or Bakersfield, and better than 100% humidity hot and sticky in Houston or New Orleans (NO). I've spent many a summer in NO as well and summer thunderstorm gives you "2 seconds" of relief and it jumps right back to feeling heavy hot sticky and uncomfortable.

Last edited by Chimérique; 05-22-2018 at 01:10 AM..

Old 05-22-2018, 12:50 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,923,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Jester,

I completely disagree with you on just about everything you said.

You clearly admit that the heat index is out control in the humid south, heat indexes of 115F in New Orleans and it never cools down, A/C has to run 24/7. Night time temps in the 90's. It's never that uncomfortable in Sacramento in the summer. I might add a Sacramento summer is more comfortable than the northeast as well, spend a summer in NYC or DC, hot sticky, smelly, moldy.

A Sacramento summer brings you an average heat index of 86F-90F for a high temp throughout the summer, but more importantly it brings you an average of 58F-62F low temperatures at night and in the morning. That means you don't have to run your A/C as long, and you have actual relief from the heat in the morning. From 6am to Noon you have very comfortable temps.

Sacramento can also count on the winds from the cold Pacific to cool us down as opposed to the wind in the gulf which is humid and sticky and the wind in Phoenix and the desert southwest is bone-dry fire hot with huge dust storms.

You talk about cloud cover, well, a cloudy overcast sky during the summer fools you into thinking that the sun isn't as damaging, but it it because ultraviolet rays penetrate through clouds and do just has much damage.

Sacramento is big on trees and covered patios as we are the 3rd sunniest major metro in the nation during the summer. Simply stay out of the direct sun especially during the hottest times of the day, which again is why I love Sacramento summers because we can count on it cooling down 25-30 degrees.

Sacramento humidity is just about perfect too because the humidity is dry around 10-20% during the hottest time of the day, but not bone dry like 2-5% in desert climates. Sacramento summer humidity jumps to 60-70% at night combined with cool winds from the Pacific (Delta Breeze) which is a lot better than a bone dry at night in Phoenix, Vegas, Redding or Bakersfield, and better than 100% humidity hot and sticky in Houston or New Orleans (NO). I've spent many a summer in NO as well and summer thunderstorm gives you "2 seconds" of relief and it jumps right back to feeling heavy hot sticky and uncomfortable.
When it's over 105 in little over a week from now, sit outside on your rocking chair and enjoy your comfortable and toasty beautiful day with few whispy high clouds, along with balmy hot winds.

Old 05-22-2018, 01:09 AM

Jester,

Right now: Costa Mesa(Orange City) 60F, Laguna Beach(Orange Cnty) 58F, Sacramento 58F, San Jose 56F, Oakland-feels like temp is 51F; San Francisco-feels like temp is 48F.

I'm from SD, spent my teen years hanging out at all the beaches in SD, especially La Jolla Shores, and PB (Lived in Clairemont-SD neighborhood) Later lived in Hillcrest for a while. And I've lived in the coolest hippest neighborhoods in Los Angeles, even before they were hip like Silverlake/Los Feliz. I've lived in Hollywood, North Hollywood and Little Santa Monica Canyon which ends at Will Rogers Beach (the Big Beach before you get to Malibu). I went to UCLA and later worked in the Wilshire District. I lived in Hancock Park (any native Angeleno knows that Hancock Park was the Beverly Hills before there was a Beverly Hills.) I know LA and SD very well. I've spent many a weekend in Laguna Beach as well. I know SoCal very well and and I visit family and friends down there regularly.

You ask what is in Sacramento itself, talk a long walk in midtown, or in Land Park, and notice how green and how many trees there really are. Check out the Beer and Coffee places. Sacramento County is not all flat as you go east towards Fair Oaks and Orangevale it gets hilly and when you get to Folsom (Sacramento County) it is very hilly. BTW I love that Sacramento City is flat easier to walk and ride a bike.

Sacramento County is by far greener than Orange County. Sacramento is a lot greener than SoCal. It rains twice as much in Sac versus Orange County, and if you account for the surrounding area around Sacramento it rains 3 to 4 times as much as most of SoCal. I recommend a trip down the American River right in Sacramento from the Sunrise Bridge to River Bend park. You might see Sacramento in a different light. My Bay Area friends have already come up to Sac for a day on the river, and they can't wait to do it again.

You keep harping on how close we are to Tahoe (2hrs). You obvisouly don't know NorCal very well (especially, the Sac-Tahoe area). If you go just 30-40 minutes towards Tahoe you are in the Mountains, heavily forested mountains, by far more forested than anything in SoCal. You don't have to go all the way to Tahoe to be in the Mountains. Less than an hour up the 3 forks of the American River you have white water rafting in deep canyons, with very freshing mountain runoff. Your point of reference is Davis, well if you lived in Roseville(Sac Area) or Folsom(Sac Area) than the Mountains and Tahoe are 45 mins closer.

Old 05-22-2018, 11:00 AM

10 posts, read 10,611 times
I'll gladly deal with Sacramento summers over anywhere along the gulf coast. At least in Sacramento, I won't be dripping with sweat by just standing. Gulf coast heat is so suffocating, my whole body is drenched within just minutes without any kind of physical activity.

I love the predictability of Sacramento weather. It's nice never having to worry about freak random summer thunderstorms while you're in the middle of an outdoor activity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento