Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 04:45 AM

528 posts, read 866,922 times

Advertisements

Has anyone here ever gone there and gotten a full food experience? I know I have and personally the food down there could rival the Bay Area. Its so authentic you could swear it is and with easier parking.

King Palace is one of my favorite places and the supermarket next to it has the best lobsters. I figure for once I will post a truly positive thread. Chinatown down in South Sac has some of the best food I've had and East Sac believe it or not has a few but overall that Chinatown has some interesting restaurants, old but with good atmosphere too.

Do some of you go there, or rather avoid because its in a bad part of town? I'd go for the food personally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 07:45 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,840,768 times
Nope, been there many times.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:04 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,279,161 times
I used to drive to Goldstar Market for specialty ramen a lot, but then realized there was a place on Broadway that was nearly as good and closer to home. There isn't really a particular "Chinatown" neighborhood, just a large Asian population that runs from roughly Southside Park into South Sacramento. I like some of the recent additions, like Taiwan Best Mart on 10th and W Street, and the "Quickly" boba tea place (which I realize is a chain, but don't care because it's fun) on 16th and U. A lot have gone away as the old-school Chinese neighborhood has changed over the years and Southside gets more hipsterish (the old Japanese restaurant is an organic donut shop, for example) but it's still there.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:34 AM

2,220 posts, read 2,800,406 times
When I think of that area, I don't think of "Southside Park"; I think of the area along Florin Road. Once moribund, the new businesses there are quite nice.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:52 PM

660 posts, read 1,081,491 times
Pretty sure OP is talking about Little Saigon along Stockton Blvd between Florin and Fruitridge, not Southside Park.

Old 05-13-2014, 10:50 PM

Point taken, maybe he thinks Saigon is a city in China (the Chinese have made the same assumption once or twice.) But of course there isn't really a Chinatown in Sacramento anymore, just a wide swath of the city with a more noticeable Asian population--and the northern edge of that wide swath is still in Southside, even though it goes all the way past the city limits, and of course isn't solely Chinese.

Old 05-22-2014, 11:16 AM

82 posts, read 132,371 times
so whats oak park called if south sac is called chinatown?

Old 05-22-2014, 01:21 PM

South Sacramento isn't called Chinatown, but there is a "Little Saigon" neighborhood in South Sacramento. Oak Park is called Oak Park, and just south of Oak Park are Colonial Heights and Colonial Acres.

Old 05-22-2014, 02:59 PM

82 posts, read 132,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
South Sacramento isn't called Chinatown, but there is a "Little Saigon" neighborhood in South Sacramento. Oak Park is called Oak Park, and just south of Oak Park are Colonial Heights and Colonial Acres.
when i was at church's chicken, i overheard some fine gentleman callin oak park -> smoke park

Old 05-26-2014, 04:58 PM

528 posts, read 866,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeroyDeshawnJenkins View Post
when i was at church's chicken, i overheard some fine gentleman callin oak park -> smoke park
Why.. because they smoke eachother in the back alley? The closet gang bangers who go out there in the night maybe? they all collect back there and do some random sex acts when nobodys watching them? And the fact this was at a Church's Chicken makes it all the more fitting and in that Oak Park one, anything is possible.

I used to go to Churches once in awhile when I lived in Florida. They're good, never saw anything too bad when I walked into one, none of those smoke acts for sure or gangbangers running around.. just the black counter servers. So to say that theres non stop violence in the hood, I feel its a myth and this was like at 11pm or something. So ya I go to the hood dawg . Actually in all seriousness, I'd rather go to the black hoods in FL than go to many of them here unless its the Chinese section. I feel the bad parts of Sacramento exceed the bad parts of the Tampa area. I won't lie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento