Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2007, 10:35 PM

32 posts, read 155,525 times

Advertisements

how reputed is a business degree MBA or equivalent from CSUS as compared to a few other universities in the region? i have a career opportunity to move to sac, and also wish to pursue a part-time MBA. say if i dont get into UC davis which would be my first choice (& also if the davis mba is too expensive for me) ill think of going for CSUS.
also how would csus compare v/s ASU phoenix for a business degree? i know ASU is better but is the difference a LOT?
are there any other universities better in status to CSUS near the sac davis region??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2007, 10:23 AM

50 posts, read 271,022 times
I graduated last year with a bachelors degree in business from Sac State. I would probably rank Sac State slightly above average for a business degree from a CSU State school. I felt they had a good undergrad program with a lot of good professors in the field. But academics and reputation are, unfortunately, not related as much as they should be.

From everything I know UC Davis has an excellent well known business school, if you are looking for reputation and academics I'd look there. I looked into their program a little bit, they offer a traditional on-campus day time curriculum and an off-campus night time curriculum in downtown Sacramento.

Also I know a lot of people talk about Golden Gate University, but I don't know much about it.

Old 12-14-2007, 10:53 AM

424 posts, read 2,697,423 times
Things have changed since I received my MBA from CSUS!

At that time (mid 1990s) CSUS's business school was ranked 24th in the nation. They were using the same curriculum as Harvard. We had students that transferred from Penn State and other well known universities because the curriculum was better at CSUS. At that time, Davis did not have as good a business school as CSUS.

I've heard that CSUS also has an executive MBA program that is designed for students who are working and going to school. Maybe more people will comment, but I felt that the business school at CSUS was good and I enjoyed the focus on case studies in many of the MBA level courses. CSUS tends to be a commuter school and Davis tends not to be, so if you will be working and going to school part time, CSUS may work out better for you. And it is cheaper.......

Old 12-15-2007, 10:47 AM
CEO

39 posts, read 178,363 times
In my opinion, within the CSU system Sac State is probably in the mid tier. But around Sacramento, a MBA from CSUS is not worthless and very valuable. It will not compare to ASU, i think ASU's business program is ranked at least in top 100.

Old 12-16-2007, 04:00 PM

192 posts, read 264,039 times
I lived in Berkeley from 1989-1995 and new a guy, who was a Sac State Business School Graduate. He was very sharp and honest. He definitely made a favorable impression on me. He worked as a Toyota salesmen and was quite successful. He probably is doing better now. He just had a winning attitude.

Old 12-23-2007, 04:32 PM

152 posts, read 878,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidBlue View Post
At that time (mid 1990s) CSUS's business school was ranked 24th in the nation.
Now I don't care too much for rankings, but this seems like a bit of a stretch. Do you mean 24th overall, or 24th for a specific category such as minority student enrollment, etc?

Old 12-30-2007, 10:50 AM

216 posts, read 377,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcapitan View Post
Now I don't care too much for rankings, but this seems like a bit of a stretch. Do you mean 24th overall, or 24th for a specific category such as minority student enrollment, etc?
Right. That's what I was thinking.

Generally the top tier universities are for full time students and the Cal
State schools are great for people who are currently working and need
flexibility when they take classes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento