Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2015, 07:57 AM

38 posts, read 96,306 times

Advertisements

So my wife has just been offered a great opportunity to go to work with Kaiser out in Roseville and I an a nervous wreck. I have heard that Kaiser is one of the best health systems on the west coast. We actually went and visited the area a little bit last summer in the middle of July and actually enjoyed the weather...certainly better than Chicago! We have a 3 and 5 year old and know that Roseville is full of great schools and surrounding areas. Her salary will be approx 57k and I will be moving with no job lined up as of yet. I am in the automotive field. I think that is what makes me the most nervous if we can survive on one income for awhile. I do have a small cash reserve saved up (actually invested) but the moving expenses alone are going to drain some of that. The address of her work is 1001 Riverside Avenue. Are there some affordable 2-3 bedroom apts or houses for rent in the area that people have first hand experience with? When we went last year the pictures online were not at all what it looked like in person so I would much rather go with a in person point of view.

This is the biggest decision of my life and I just want to make sure I am doing the right thing. All the people seemed very pleasant and welcoming when we visited CA last year. We are very out doors type people and love hiking, biking, running, doing mud run/obstacle courses and I love playing volleyball too. Our kids love being outside at parks and playgrounds, waterparks, pools..ect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2015, 11:36 AM

323 posts, read 1,008,681 times
Welcome to California. 57,000 a year with two kids is not ideal, but not impossible, especially if temporary. It looks like you can get a Townhouse type situation in Roseville for around $1600. A full house with yard is going to be in the $2000s.

Padmapper is good for checking out rentals. http://www.padmapper.com/

Old 03-13-2015, 12:04 PM

Mr ozo

Thanks for the great link I didnt know about that reference before!

Old 03-13-2015, 04:39 PM

119 posts, read 285,540 times
Hmm. 57K for a family of four will be quite tough.

We are only talking about $3.5K to $4.0K per month in take home salary. Housing will be half of that for a good place in Roseville.

Also Roseville is a nice place so things tend to be more expensive there (think Restaurants, participation in sports activities etc.) so you may not get to enjoy the area as much as you would like.

You would need a minimum of $90K to really enjoy life there.

Old 03-13-2015, 04:53 PM

2,410 posts, read 4,457,153 times
I don't know exactly what you mean by being in the automotive field, but Roseville Auto Mall is just down the street from Kaiser--most of the makes have dealerships there.

Old 03-14-2015, 12:33 AM

21,882 posts, read 25,154,836 times
In much of California, you'd be nuts to. Sacramento is relatively affordable, however. You'd be better off renting a house which in Roseville would run you about $1700+. Not many apartments are 3bd and those that there are are closer to $2000. It'd be tight until you find a job, but if you're willing to do house dad you could pinch the pennies and make it work. Citrus Heights is cheaper, you could find something in the $1,200 - $1,500 range. The schools definitely aren't as good.

Old 03-14-2015, 10:39 AM

We would not need to live in roseville as long as the commute stays within reason. Is Rocklin, Loomis or Folsom more affordable with the good schools? I didnt think about the prices of Park district programs. My 5 year old currently does karate and my little guy loves doing all different sports, soccer, t ball, basketball..ect.

Does anyone have a good elementry school district that they have their children in that they can commit on? Also how safe are the apartments? I have a nice trans am that I have always had garaged and kinda worried about it in an apt parking lot.

Old 03-14-2015, 11:57 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,285,320 times
Folsom is about as expensive as Roseville, Rocklin is about the same and Loomis isn't much cheaper--you'd probably pay the differential in gas. So no, there's no real advantage to living farther away from Roseville. Citrus Heights, on the other side of I-80, might be a little cheaper while still having proximity to Roseville.

Old 03-15-2015, 06:56 PM

2,499 posts, read 3,249,049 times
Kaiser health care is excellent and also a top employer. With a job lined up you guys will do great. The towns around Roseville are family-oriented and mostly "safe" places to live. Good luck!

Old 03-15-2015, 10:30 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Folsom is about as expensive as Roseville, Rocklin is about the same and Loomis isn't much cheaper--you'd probably pay the differential in gas. So no, there's no real advantage to living farther away from Roseville. Citrus Heights, on the other side of I-80, might be a little cheaper while still having proximity to Roseville.
I was thinking Citrus Heights too, it borders Roseville and has really improved since they got their own Police Dept. and is one of the most affordable suburbs in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento