Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 11:49 AM

68 posts, read 315,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludachris View Post
I wouldn't go as far as calling you names. I'm just saying that statements like the one you made are a little sad - especially for people who are the target of the comments. I hate to think that my daughters will grow up with people not wanting to send their kids to the schools they attend because of... well, people like "them".

This was not attended to be a race issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 12:26 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,544,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRobbins View Post
This was not attended to be a race issue.
If it was not intended to be a race issue, why would you say "I thought of Roseville but heard the schools are filled with mexicans. Don't want that!".

Why should that even matter so long as Roseville has good schools and safe suburbs? As it sounds like that's what you're looking for. If it wasn't intended to be a race issue, ethnicity wouldn't have been mentioned. As far as I know, Roseville has everything you're asking for in the title of this thread - yet, it does have Mexicans living there and going to school there too. I'm not sure how much that overrules the other factors for you.

Old 02-25-2010, 12:41 PM

68 posts, read 315,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludachris View Post
If it was not intended to be a race issue, why would you say "I thought of Roseville but heard the schools are filled with mexicans. Don't want that!".

Why should that even matter so long as Roseville has good schools and safe suburbs? As it sounds like that's what you're looking for. If it wasn't intended to be a race issue, ethnicity wouldn't have been mentioned. As far as I know, Roseville has everything you're asking for in the title of this thread - yet, it does have Mexicans living there and going to school there too. I'm not sure how much that overrules the other factors for you.

I just don't want my kids to feel ashamed of being white! Being mixed I've been on both sides. Why is it ok for non whites to crack jokes or say things about "The White Boy" or "White Gir"l , but if a white person says anything about a non white its racist? Why do I get dirty looks from mexicans {my own race} because my husband is white. Or I'm called a "wanna be white girl" cause I have blond highlights? Or "Oh, you don't speak spanish? Or "Oh your husband is WHITE"? The fact is mexicans think there better than anybody, and they feel Whites stole there land!

Old 02-25-2010, 04:13 PM

6 posts, read 29,928 times
According to my wife, Roseville/Rocklin is a bit racist. I didn't feel it when we moved here, but my wife did. I'm Asian and grew up in red-neck Texas so I guess my "racism-meter" is not as accurate. My wife grew up in Asia and didn't come over to the Americas until college and lived in Canada, Bay Area, SoCal, and now Roseville.

According to her: She felt that service at restaurants were less attentive to us than to other white customers (which usually is everybody else except our table). The clerks/cashiers at stores and markets seem less friendly and snobbish at times with almost an attitude of "why are you living here and buying stuff here, shouldn't you be somewhere else?".

What I've noticed is that the customers at the big-chain restaurants (Olive Garden, Fridays, BJ's, etc.) are almost all white. But, once you go to an ethnic restaurant, you see a huge mix of races. Before we found the Mizu's and Adalberto's, we were really wondering where all the "colored" people are. Now we know, they just don't frequent the white establishments...

Old 02-25-2010, 09:34 PM

133 posts, read 584,566 times
Well...so you were trying to incite something then? Not nice LOL. All kidding and/or accusations aside, I sometimes have a hard time putting into words nicely the same sort of thing. I'm Asian...born in Japan...mom's Japanese, dad's of Chinese descent. BUT...I would feel extremely UNcomfortable living in a predominantly Asian community, particularly among people who may be 1st generation. Without sounding racist, how would I phrase a question where I was truly wondering what the cultural and generational makeup is...unless I just asked bluntly, "Are there a lot of Asian immigrants?". Sometimes, a person knows what he/she wants to ask, but the obstacle course of political-correctness gets in the way.

Quote:
How did I know I would get a response like that! I can say it cause I'm half mexican!

Old 02-25-2010, 09:44 PM

133 posts, read 584,566 times
Sometimes, you feel less racism against you when you're truly a minority in an area - like being Asian in Lubbock, TX...or Beaumont, TX (giving West & East Tx fair representation here)...because you're quite frankly still a 'curiosity' in their midst. Sure, kids may stare at you, pull their eyelids up, and make that "asian" slant-eye face...but is that really racism? Or is racism the way some people may automatically *assume* I'm in a gang if I happen to have the wrong color shirt on and I cross the line between Gardena and West Compton....or Westminster and Fountain Valley? Or is racism the reason I had a hard time getting dates with blonde-haired, blue-eyed cheerleaders when I was growing up? Or that when I started in a new school, all the teachers ASSUMED I would be a math whiz..??

Interesting topic...not meant to incite, but this thread just got me thinking along these lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning80 View Post
According to my wife, Roseville/Rocklin is a bit racist. I didn't feel it when we moved here, but my wife did. I'm Asian and grew up in red-neck Texas so I guess my "racism-meter" is not as accurate. My wife grew up in Asia and didn't come over to the Americas until college and lived in Canada, Bay Area, SoCal, and now Roseville.

According to her: She felt that service at restaurants were less attentive to us than to other white customers (which usually is everybody else except our table). The clerks/cashiers at stores and markets seem less friendly and snobbish at times with almost an attitude of "why are you living here and buying stuff here, shouldn't you be somewhere else?".

What I've noticed is that the customers at the big-chain restaurants (Olive Garden, Fridays, BJ's, etc.) are almost all white. But, once you go to an ethnic restaurant, you see a huge mix of races. Before we found the Mizu's and Adalberto's, we were really wondering where all the "colored" people are. Now we know, they just don't frequent the white establishments...

Old 02-25-2010, 09:53 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,282,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by x15 View Post
Roseville is in fact 81.2% white and 13.6% hispanic. It not entirely that different from the 95816 zipcode where Wburg lives which is 78.3% white and 14.1% hispanic. In fact the zipcode where Wburg lives really isn't that different from Placer County which is 84.4% white and 11.7% hispanic.

You would think people living in glass houses wouldn't be so eager to throw rocks, but you know Wburg...
Sorry, wrong house!
I know you enjoy manipulating numbers to show things that aren't true, x15, but this is very clearly an apples & oranges comparison. If you're going to compare where I live to Roseville, compare the city and county where I live to the city and county you're comparing it to. Otherwise you're just cherry-picking ZIP codes

I used Wikipedia for my source, but I'll use your source.
Roseville: White 81.2%, Hispanic 13.6%
Sacramento: White 51.1%, Hispanic 24.6%

Placer County: White 61.7%, Hispanic 19.8%
Sacramento County:84.4% white, 11.7% hispanic

As to the ZIP code of my neighborhood: My neighborhood is Midtown, whose borders are J to R Street between 16th and 29th. This means that the ZIP code of Midtown is split between the 95816, 95811 and 95814 ZIP codes. 95816 skews white because most of that ZIP code is in East Sacramento and McKinley Park, more affluent predominantly white neighborhoods. But that ain't my hood.

So let's take a look at all three of those ZIP codes, using the source you provided:

95814/95811: White 60.9%, Latino 36.1%
95816: 78.3% white, 14.1% hispanic
(Note: 95811 was split out of 95814 since the last census, thus the figures are effectively identical.)

Now, I live right near the 95814/95816 border, so let's split the difference and call it even: White 69.6%, Latino 25.1%

And if you want to get really technical and claim that Midtown is C Street to W Street, 16th to 29th (with Downtown being west of 16th) that adds in a chunk of the 95818 ZIP code, which is 60.8% white and 14.1% Latino. So sure, you could claim that my neighborhood is slightly whiter than Sacramento's average, in a particularly nonwhite city, but that's about it.

Now, all this has nothing to do with the OP's request, other than the fact that if she thinks Roseville has too many Mexicans she won't even be looking at East Sac.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:57 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,282,794 times
Quote:
I just don't want my kids to feel ashamed of being white!
And they absolutely shouldn't. But they shouldn't be ashamed of their Mexican heritage either, or feel like they have to hide it.

Old 02-26-2010, 01:41 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,895,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Sorry, wrong house!
I know you enjoy manipulating numbers to show things that aren't true, x15, but this is very clearly an apples & oranges comparison. If you're going to compare where I live to Roseville, compare the city and county where I live to the city and county you're comparing it to. Otherwise you're just cherry-picking ZIP codes

I used Wikipedia for my source, but I'll use your source.
Roseville: White 81.2%, Hispanic 13.6%
Sacramento: White 51.1%, Hispanic 24.6%

Placer County: White 61.7%, Hispanic 19.8%
Sacramento County:84.4% white, 11.7% hispanic

As to the ZIP code of my neighborhood: My neighborhood is Midtown, whose borders are J to R Street between 16th and 29th. This means that the ZIP code of Midtown is split between the 95816, 95811 and 95814 ZIP codes. 95816 skews white because most of that ZIP code is in East Sacramento and McKinley Park, more affluent predominantly white neighborhoods. But that ain't my hood.

So let's take a look at all three of those ZIP codes, using the source you provided:

95814/95811: White 60.9%, Latino 36.1%
95816: 78.3% white, 14.1% hispanic
(Note: 95811 was split out of 95814 since the last census, thus the figures are effectively identical.)

Now, I live right near the 95814/95816 border, so let's split the difference and call it even: White 69.6%, Latino 25.1%

And if you want to get really technical and claim that Midtown is C Street to W Street, 16th to 29th (with Downtown being west of 16th) that adds in a chunk of the 95818 ZIP code, which is 60.8% white and 14.1% Latino. So sure, you could claim that my neighborhood is slightly whiter than Sacramento's average, in a particularly nonwhite city, but that's about it.

Now, all this has nothing to do with the OP's request, other than the fact that if she thinks Roseville has too many Mexicans she won't even be looking at East Sac.
What I find amazing about you is the off the charts extremely judgmental righteous indignation juxtaposed with rank hypocrisy. The only individuals that are almost comparable to you are fictional ones like Ignatius P. Reilly from the "Confederacy of Dunces".

You infer such nefarious motivations because people of the same ethnicity as you choose to live in a community that looks remarkably similar to the zip code that you in fact live in (as much as you now try to deny it and reinvent some sort of new phantom zipcode to deflect your strident hypocrisy). Statistically, there really isn't much difference between the demographics you condemn in both Roseville and Placer County and the demographics of the 95816 zipcode that you actually live in.

Yet you live in this fact free universe, self-righteously passing judgment on others for the very same choices you in fact made (as much as you want to pretend otherwise - you still never-the-less do live in the 95816 zip code).

For someone who does posses such self-righteous indignation I really do wonder how you live with yourself? When you assume that nefarious intent underlies why others people move to other neighborhoods that are similiar lily white as your own. It makes me wonder about your own motivations in picking a house in a lily white zip code like 95816.

You live in the glass house and you just love throwing rocks. Why?

Old 02-26-2010, 07:32 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,222,159 times
I'm not locking this thread just yet...but I'm getting close.

If you look at the original posting, and the current thread discussion, looks like it got off course just a wee bit there.

As long as it stays civil I'll allow some debate here, but try to keep it non-personal.

Otherwise...I'm locking this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento