Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 06:56 AM

6 posts, read 13,060 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,
We are looking at a move to SLC in early 2011. My husband is from there and I lived there briefly once before but this is going to be a permanent move back to the area. We would prefer to be more on the east side of the valley near SLC (like the highland area) but I think we may end up in Daybreak. We've been very attracted to the concept of that community and love the way it feels when we drive through. We're wondering how conservative Daybreak really is. We are very liberal and are looking for some like-mindedness at least. We both know that in Utah, we are in the minority but are hoping to at least find some commonality with our neighbors. We previously lived in Draper and really did not fit in with our neighbors. Our children were not well accepted at school and even among the neighborhood kids once it was realized that we weren't LDS. It was a very surreal experience and we're looking to avoid something similar happening again. A friend of mine told me that Daybreak is very conservative but some comments on this board have led me to believe otherwise. We're also wondering how Daybreak has fared with the real estate meltdown as it seems that there is a LOT available there. Has it declined in quality at all? Are houses sitting empty and looking run down? Would any of you predict that prices may continue to fall there because of too much market saturation? We're moving from Michigan where the market is one of the worst in the country so I'm very scared of walking into a home that will fall in value like mine has here.

I'm also wondering about the school situation since the new high school opened? Does anyone here have kids who attend Herriman? Does all of Daybreak now go to Herriman? My kids are heavily into music and my son is involved in marching band. We really want to find a quality program for him and it seems as if only the schools on the west side of the valley have marching programs so that's why our focus is narrowing on Daybreak and the surrounding areas.

Any input on the area is welcome. My husband and I just want to settle into a place and feel at home with our neighbors. We absolutely understand that our previous experience may have been an isolated and unfortunate incident but we're looking for better odds of that not happening again. Maybe this time we'll bring cookies ;-)

Thank you in advance for your comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 08:02 AM

3,260 posts, read 6,762,145 times
I'm sure Hilgi will chime in shortly as he is living there currently. I would say that Daybreak would be about your best bet for acceptance from what you've described. We live in Herriman, and while we get along with all the neighbors we don't see or speak to them much as we also are non church members. Daybreak is as you say a unique planned community. Where I am in Rosecrest it was more of a face put upon the idea of not a planned community as much as a typical large "build as fast and as much as you can" community. Highland would NOT be a likely fit as they too are very "churchy" over their as well as Alpine and Lehi. The shopping nearby Daybreak keeps getting better as well. Enjoy.......

Old 11-30-2010, 09:33 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,841,371 times
If Highland High or east High do not offer the programs you want, then there is little point in me telling you how acepting Sugar House is, nor the foothills/Avenues areas.

Old 11-30-2010, 10:04 AM

8,182 posts, read 9,215,899 times
I would say Daybreak is conservative in the way Orange County CA is, not conservative by the Utah definition (LDS=Conservative here). You can build whatever kind of life you want here, we go to the wine club, parties and also to LDS friends’ houses and events, it is a good melting pot. If you want to come here to turn it into California, don't come. :-)

Housing has dropped here a lot and I expect it to continue (nationwide, I have a lot of reasons for this view)), luckily you don't see many run down houses. I see dead lawns but nothing that looks seedy. I would suggest renting first (that is what I did), it lets you find the area you like and since they are still building you may want to be in the new section. I think long term this will be one of the better areas for housing but for the next 2-3 years I am renting.

I think you can pick which High School either Herriman or Bingham. Herriman looks amazing.

Old 11-30-2010, 02:01 PM

6 posts, read 13,060 times
Ooops! I didn't mean Highland. I meant Cottonwood, Holladay, Millcreek-type areas. Toward the East end of the valley. @SouthernBelle, if we could move anywhere in SLC, it would most definitely be Sugarhouse/Foothills/Avenues. We LOVE that area. My husband's work is right there and I am hoping to go back to working at the U. The schools seem to leave something to be desired in SLC-proper and, as strange as it may sound, marching band is very important to two of my kids. It'd be like moving a football player to a school without athletics. I guess we'll get the kids raised then head into the city some day.

Thanks, again for any input. It's a stressful decision but it's helpful to be able to "talk" to those who are already there.

Old 11-30-2010, 02:57 PM

226 posts, read 567,699 times
Marching band is not strange. Good for you for raising kids who have found something positive that keeps them engaged with school. I hear so many good things about Daybreak that I'm starting to wonder if they're putting something in the water out there.... I honestly don't see how you can go wrong if you can find a home there that you like and the schools have the things your kids need. Go for it.

Old 12-02-2010, 12:18 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,821,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
If Highland High or east High do not offer the programs you want, then there is little point in me telling you how acepting Sugar House is, nor the foothills/Avenues areas.
That's the first thing that came to my mind too. Daybreak screams "religion" to me, probably because there is a LDS temple prominently featured at the head of the development. You'll find more diversity AND authenticity in SLC's old but nice east bench neighborhoods. Daybreak is in fact "inspired" by (more like copied) those neighborhoods.

Old 12-02-2010, 01:06 PM

835 posts, read 2,077,135 times
@Utah Roots-they are putting something in the water out "there"! Ask Kennecot/Rio Tinto about it. I can already hear Hilgi typing away at me.......

Old 12-02-2010, 02:48 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,762,145 times
Yeah some folks prefer to live on the river DeNile ;-) Just don't bother to get the water there checked....they warned you already........make sure to get a competent water filtration system and keep it in top operating condition. Also make sure it is capable of filtering out molybdenum, nitrates, copper, selenium and the poisons used for production of copper and heavy metals like arsenic and others.

Old 12-02-2010, 03:44 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,215,899 times
Other than the Temple I don’t get the “screams religion” comment at all. On our square the LDS are the minority and those that are assimilate with us heathens very well. Many people I meet are from CA, so it seems to draw a very diverse group of people from all races, sexual orientation and religions. I am sure if your try really hard you could focus on those that are LDS and try and find negative things about how they live here but that is up to you.

The looks of the houses are a copy from some of the older east bench houses but we have energy star ratings, new pipes, wiring and walls. I like the look and colors’, coming from CA it is a welcome change.

As far as the water issue goes I have done a lot of research (long before moving here, every new development has poison ground ready to kill the masses, according to the environmental groups trying to stop the development) and while I am skeptical of governments, corporations and environmentalists, I feel the risk is worth it. I filter my water and they just finished a new water filtration plant on 104, so a lot of the original anti-daybreak propaganda doesn’t seem to fly any longer.

All I say regarding these type of paranoia issues is, look at the sources, who is promoting the fear and who has the liability and what have they done to lesson it.

Drinking milk is probably far more dangerous than Daybreak water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area