Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2014, 02:48 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,763,030 times

Advertisements

Yea good old high pressure on it's way and with it comes that gunky air. I don't know about you but I sure am tired of it already, and it's far from over.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:50 AM

835 posts, read 2,077,371 times
Inversion season "typically" ends in mid to late February. More daylight means more atmospheric mixing....hang in there dcisive!
I am just bummed that the pattern looks quite dry for us skiers now too..

Old 01-16-2014, 10:51 PM

479 posts, read 1,015,645 times
Moderator cut: copyright violation

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 01-18-2014 at 03:44 PM..

Old 01-17-2014, 01:51 AM

762 posts, read 2,119,341 times
The American Lung Association has released a report listing the metro areas and counties with the most polluted, dangerous air in the country. SLC did NOT make the list of worst air pollution areas! We did make a list, however, of areas that have problems with temporary "spikes" in air pollution.

Worst year-round particle pollution: Bakersfield, Merced, Fresno, Hanford CA, LA/Long Beach/Riverside, Modesto, Visalia, Pittsburg PA, El Centro, Cincinnati OH, Philadelphia, Louisville KY, Allentown/Bethlehem, Canton OH, Fairbanks AK, Macon GA, Atlanta GA, Phx AZ, Cleveland OH, Indianapolis IN, Steubenville OH, Wheeling WV, Birmingham AL, Dayton OH

Worst "spikes" of bad 24-hour periods of particulates: Bakersfield, Fresno, Hanford, LA/Long Beach/Riverside, Modesto, SLC/Ogden, Pittsburg, Merced, Fairbanks, Logan UT, Provo, Stockton CA, Las Cruces NM, Eugene OR, Visalia, Chicago, Green Bay, Seattle/Tacoma, Harrisburg PA, Indiapolis, Phx, Allentown/Bethlehem, San Diego, Portland OR, South Bend

Worst overall ozone pollution: LA/Long Beach/Riverside, Visalia, Bakersfield, Fresno, Hanford, Sacramento, Houston TX, Dallas TX, Washington DC, El Centro, Merced, San Diego, Modesto, Birmingham AL, Cincinnati, Las Vegas, Louisville, NYC, Charlotte, Beaumont TX, Oklahoma City, Philadelphia, Phx, Pittsburg, San Luis Obispo, St. Louis, Tulsa

I'm surprised about some of the other cities on the "spike" list, like Portland, Eugene, and Seattle.

Hey, movingonagain, maybe the Portland or Louisville forums need an air pollution thread for you to post articles to.

Old 01-17-2014, 02:12 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,763,030 times
From my days on the road when I used to travel a ton I can certainly remember Bakersfield and Fresno being in a funk most of the time. It was only when a fast moving storm came through they EVER cleared up. Any of those cities in the California Central Valley have that issue, usually fogging, smoggy or hazy. I can remember ONE rare clear day outside of Fresno I could actually SEE the Sierra Nevada range, but usually you never do. Surprised however to see San Luis Obisbo on that list. Every time I was there it was delightful. Portland isn't usually smoggy either nor Eugene, but on those occasions in the summer when they get really warm and muggy it's horrid.

Old 01-18-2014, 06:37 PM

Video: Air quality in Utah and pollution's impact on our health | Deseret News

Old 01-19-2014, 10:40 AM

Please sign the petition for cleaner air!

MoveOn Petitions - Utah Clean Air, No Excuses Petition

Old 01-19-2014, 05:16 PM

543 posts, read 1,382,507 times
My wife has asthma and she's been really struggling during this inversion season. This is our first year here and it's not looking like we're going to be able to stay. Quite unfortunate as we were hoping this was the place for us and now we're at a loss of where to go next. We'll give it a few more weeks but we're going to need to make a decision before Dec of next year so we won't be able to wait to see if this is just a particularly bad year.

Stinks because we really enjoy it here otherwise. But I can't stand to see her come home looking beat and obviously laboring for breath.

Old 01-19-2014, 09:56 PM

835 posts, read 2,077,371 times
Mezman, maybe you could head to Boulder?

Old 01-20-2014, 06:23 AM

543 posts, read 1,382,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibarbie View Post
Mezman, maybe you could head to Boulder?
We stayed a night there on our way to SLC and liked it for the most part. It's a bit more expensive housing wise than we'd prefer and not quite as urban but I guess we could hit up Denver for that. Thankfully my wife's specialty is needed critically in just about ever place in the US so nearly all the places we'd want to live are open to us. We're just sad because we enjoy it here otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area