Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 09:02 AM

29 posts, read 56,023 times

Advertisements

My little family of four might move to Park City. We are backcountry savy skiers, rock climbers and bikers. What say all of you about this town for someone who loves the mountains? Where would you send me to look at real etate on a budget? below $400,000. What roads are good to bike on? We want to look at family friendly communites are close by?What are some good trails for walking, biking and maybe nordic skiing.

Does this city have the "small town feel"? or is it too filled with tourists? We lived in Kalispell MT AND LOVED the small town feel.

Last edited by I'm_someone_elses_tool; 02-04-2009 at 10:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 10:47 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,811,151 times
Good: it's above the smog of Salt Lake City
Bad: very touristy

Old 02-04-2009, 12:37 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,756,993 times
Well, my take on it is indeed the immediate downtown (oldtown) and roads as you enter into the main street are and can be touristy. Outside of that immediate downtown area it is not so much so. As for ability to feed your recreational habits you'll have more than enough choices year around. No worries there. If you can find a house there for $400,000 let me know where ;-) You'll likely be looking more in the $500-$700,000 range on average. The schools are top flight (as are the taxes). Park City (unlike the Salt Lake area) seem to be able to not only have more control over their educational systems, but feed more into them. You won't have the gang problems like Salt Lake either, so welcome to that. There is more new than old so no worn out parts of town per se. The Kimball Junction area where I-80 heads off to Park City has a ton of shopping to offer as well as more affordable houses. check that out. If it weren't for the cost of living I'd be out there for sure. Their police force is a lot better equipped and efficient as well. You won't find any typical gang bangers out there, or they'd end up in jail where they belong. It's pretty much out of control in the Salt Lake and Ogden areas. So I'd say go for it.........

Old 02-05-2009, 04:45 AM

7,731 posts, read 13,426,216 times
Good: it's very safe and it has a nice small town feel.
Bad: real estate prices are outrageous.

Old 02-06-2009, 10:23 AM

1,613 posts, read 3,237,647 times
the gang problems like salt lake jhahahahahahhahahahahaahahaha.. seriously? gang problems? this is the safest place I have ever been and I didnt grow up in the ghetto either.. People crack me up with the utah "ghetto" and "gang problems"

Old 02-06-2009, 10:55 AM

Tell ya what mr. smarta$$ tim tim. Plant yourself in West Valley City, Glendale, Central City and such with a nice Red shirt. I'll hear about your sorry a$$ having been taken out in the news Monday morning. You make it a joke....it's NO joke. You hear less than 1/2 of the actual injury and death that comes from the gang warefare and innocents killed and maimed by those punks who consider themselves gang members in the State of Utah. AFAIAC they can round them all up in front of a firing squad. I won't miss them that's for sureI remember what it was like here before they arrived....and it was a LOT nicer to be sure. The biggest problem in our society was when they forbade kids from getting a good whooping from their parents to straighten them out....oh yeah, I forgot...most of these bangers don't even have a daddy or mom that isn't on crack or gives a darn. That's just it....perhaps they should have been sterilized before they foisted these monsters on our society. Now we're stuck with them.......

Old 02-06-2009, 12:17 PM

1,613 posts, read 3,237,647 times
I work in west valley, rose park and all the others you guys call "ghetto" and havent had a single issue. Yeah I have seen a few punk kids but none have messed with me nor anybody that I know. I dont mean to be a smart ass or anything but honestly, if this is considerd bad here. I will take it any day over what we had in tampa.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:53 AM

2,631 posts, read 5,454,568 times
rerail: park city is cool to visit, in my opinion. but i'd never want to live there. too many tourists. too many city-wide festivals and stuff (i'd rather visit the festivals than live in them).

if location isn't an option, but you like something similar, look down at brianhead, panguitch and parawon, down by cedar city. there are probably a few similar areas up north, but i'm partial to the desert (brianhead is a ski resort, by the way).

as for gang problems, both of you seem to be operating on an all-or-nothing mentality. there are problems here; anytime someone is hurt, robbed, or murdered because of gangs, it is a problem. doesn't matter if it compares to florida, cali, or harlem. however, utah is a very safe place compared to those examples of higher crime.

aaron out.

Old 02-10-2009, 01:04 PM

1,273 posts, read 4,418,319 times
Having been to West Valley City and the rougher areas of Salt Lake City and comparing them to cities in the midwest and northeast there is no comparison. I would even argue that affluent suburbs of Chicago have more of a gang problem then the entire Salt Lake City area.

Tim Tim Tim, it cracked me up when a lady at our hotel said that we should be careful in West Valley City too. Salt Lake City is so clean and quiet.

Old 02-10-2009, 01:52 PM

Well US TRaveler....not sure WHICH Chicago suburbs you are comparing Salt Lake to. If you said Evanston I'd say fair enough. But quite frankly from Willmette on North Gangs are pretty much NOT even tolerated. If one of them came to schools up there looking like they do in most of the urban Salt Lake schools (I'm talking Willmette to Lake Bluff and West from there) they would be sent home to their parents. Here we give them a badge of honor. So don't tell me. By the way, I spent the first 13 years of my life on the South Side of Chicago, then moving to the North Shore. What a welcome shock. At least I didn't have to look over my shoulder worrying about who was going to nail me next, nor hop over fences quickly to avoid conflicts. The good thing in that improved environment is those thugs stand out like a sore thumb, and there is NO doubt what their intentions are. Makes it a LOT easier to single them out. The levels of tolerance of such behavior most certainly has gotten considerably more lenient. It's too bad in some respect we can't go back in attitudes about 40-50 years and straighten up these punks. They are virtually useless in our society that's for sure........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area