Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 08:49 PM

10 posts, read 30,943 times

Advertisements

Hi, we are looking to relocate to Utah and are looking for a city with (in no particular order)

1) easiest commute
2) affordable
3) great schools
4) fun things to do (community centers, museums, etc...)

any suggestions?! thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 12:19 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,873,651 times
How about jobs? Do you have one, where is it, or are you hoping to get one?

Old 08-10-2009, 12:49 PM

We are hoping to get a job in downtown slc (sorry, thought i wrote that!)

Old 08-10-2009, 11:05 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,419,617 times
Cool Park City?

What about park city ? You'd be about 20-30 miles from Salt Lake CIty and could commute on I-80

Not sure how the winter driving would be though?

Park city is a mountain resort town and I'm sure has good schools and would be a fun place to live

Saratoga Springs might be a good location for you as well
Saratoga Springs, Utah
Saratoga Springs, Utah - City Information (http://www.saratoga-springs.net/about/cityinfo/ - broken link)

Also south of town you'd have

Pleasant Grove, Orem and Provo
all interesting communities

OREM
Orem City - Orem City

Pleasant
Grove -
Pleasant Grove :: Utah's City of Tree's - Pleasant Grove :: Utah's City of Tree's

Orem UT
City of Provo, Utah ::
Provo and Utah Valley | Utah.com

Park City UT
Park City, Utah
ParkCity.com | Park City Utah Guide | Hotels | Resorts | Vacations | Real Estate and more
Park City Mountain Resort

North of town you might check out
Farmington UT
Farmington City, Utah ::

Kaysville
Kaysville City :: Welcome To Kaysville

Ogden UT
Ogden Utah Home Page

Old 08-10-2009, 11:11 PM

427 posts, read 1,305,939 times
For the easiest commute you wouldn't want really any of those cities mentioned above. You'd basically want to live in SLC of course. It's the hub of the state, and of course would be the easiest commute if you were living there. It does have some bad parts though.

The closest suburbs would be Bountiful, just north of Salt Lake, or some of the suburbs along the eastern benches along the mountains which include Cottonwood Heights and Holliday.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:34 PM

Park City is very expensive as a place to live. The other places are mostly hicksville in terms of anyhting cultural, unless you like the church art and history at BYU.

Old 08-11-2009, 01:53 AM

762 posts, read 2,120,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAnderson View Post
For the easiest commute you wouldn't want really any of those cities mentioned above. You'd basically want to live in SLC of course. It's the hub of the state, and of course would be the easiest commute if you were living there. It does have some bad parts though.

The closest suburbs would be Bountiful, just north of Salt Lake, or some of the suburbs along the eastern benches along the mountains which include Cottonwood Heights and Holliday.
I agree---why not just live in Salt Lake City? The schools there are as good as anywhere in the state, if not better as far as some of the charter schools go (Salt Lake Art Academy, for one); there are areas as affordable as the nice suburbs (even nice areas less expensive than much of Cottonwood Heights, Holladay, or Bountiful); and 95% of the valley's museums and cultural attractions are in Salt Lake.

Old 08-13-2009, 01:11 PM

13 posts, read 48,422 times
Park City is a hella expensive. The commute up and down I-80 can be really bad in the winter. It's also a bad one because there are no alternatives to I-80. If I-80's bad, you are stuck. I agree, look @ the Salt Lake area and southern Davis county.

Old 08-13-2009, 03:42 PM

To the OP: I think you need to visit to understand how different SLC is from many other cities. We don't have a big downtown with many highrises. Most of the city is 1-2 story buildings, pretty spread out. There's no reason to live 30 miles away.

Old 08-13-2009, 05:59 PM

Thank you for your replies!! Yes. I have visited SLC many times. my husband is concerned about the crime there (i am sure you find more in a big city than the suburbs) and finding a city with a good family friendly atmosphere. (again probably more in the burbs than the city)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area