Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 12:40 PM

11 posts, read 45,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwm03160 View Post
It seems like most of the people with negative comments have never lived there... Just a thought.
I couldn't agree more. Everyone I've talked to that has lived in Magna say they love it and have never had any trouble there. I've pretty much made up my mind that Magna and West Valley are not NEARLY as bad as people say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 03:31 PM

1,613 posts, read 3,237,087 times
there not that bad there just the worst in the area.

Old 08-24-2009, 04:52 PM

62 posts, read 218,669 times
Are you meth addicts, or cookers? Is that why you want to live in METH HEAD CAPITAL of Salt Lake City? UGH!

Live in Holladay, Murray, Upper East Side SLC, Harriman is nice. Jordan area.

Old 10-30-2009, 12:21 PM

3 posts, read 4,910 times
hey,it has been a while since someone has addressed Magna,but coming from a very wealthy area in the bay area ,we have found Magna safe ,affordable,and parts of it very cute and quaint.In the bay area our town also had a nasty section with drugs and gangs and rundown houses in the hood were going for 750k!A lot of police live here ,our neighborhood resembles upper middle class,my home came with a glam kitchen and bath,I love it!!!Very country,little shopping, and a fair amount of bars in the the older area.You do see some folks that have lived a hard life at the grocery store,but had those at the expensive town I used to live in too.A combo of millionaires and homeless.Magna seems more balanced to me,and we are 10 to 15 mins. from everything!!!!

Old 10-30-2009, 01:55 PM

77 posts, read 282,813 times
I recently was playing around with the street-level view feature of google maps and I checked out parts of Magna. Some streets were run down looking, but then I click a few blocks over and the street was brand-new looking with well-manicured lawns and beautiful 2-story houses.

I found a similar situation with Rose Park and Glendale which have some very run-down looking houses but also have beautifully-manicured small older homes.

I think the thing with Magna and West Valley and Rose Park and all those areas is perhaps not the way they "look" but the "type" of people that are perceived to live there (low income, gangbangers, blue collar, etc.).

But really, I don't get why people are always recommending Murray, Holladay, etc. Yes, overall those areas are nice but there are parts of Murray and the unincorporated Salt Lake County strip between Murray and Holladay that have quite run-down slum-lord looking apartments, and Murray has been in the news for some gang-related activities and drug-busts (anybody remember the mexican mafia drug-leader guy arrested near the Cottonwood Mall not that long ago?).

Old 10-30-2009, 02:25 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,755,670 times
I have four words for you if you are going through with that move. Good Luck With That. If my only options of living in the greater Salt Lake area were Magna or West Valley City, I'd be moving out of State. That simple...........how depressing...........

Old 10-30-2009, 03:28 PM

762 posts, read 2,117,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
I have four words for you if you are going through with that move. Good Luck With That. If my only options of living in the greater Salt Lake area were Magna or West Valley City, I'd be moving out of State. That simple...........how depressing...........
While I don't love most of WVC, I don't really think you know what you're talking about when it comes to Magna, dcisive. How much time have you actually spent there? There are a number of very nice, quaint, community-oriented areas. The township has an active Main Street and Chamber of Commerce, an excellent recreational facility, swimming pool, and library, and very strong Catholic and Mormon church presences. It's a close-knit, friendly, and mostly safe community.

My 80-something grandparents have lived there for over 60 years. They leave their doors unlocked most the time (not advocating that, simply pointing it out), have never had a crime incident, and know all their neighbors. Whenever I visit, including several overnight stays growing up, it's always reminded me of Mayberry---really---where the grocery store employees know you and your family, the mechanic stops to say hi when he walks to work, and the librarian sets aside books she thinks you'll like.

Old 10-30-2009, 06:30 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
A friend of mine (we both grew up in the Sugarhouse area) moved to Magna with her husband shortly after they were married and stayed there for several years. After they had kids, though, they moved out of Magna and back into Sugarhouse. Her reason for wanting to get out of Magna was that she wanted her kids to be surrounded by other kids whose parents valued education and encouraged them to excel in school and graduate from college. She and her husband are both professional people and their neighbors in Magna just didn't have the same values in that particular area. That's not to say they were bad people. They just weren't like-minded.

Old 11-04-2009, 03:47 PM

3 posts, read 8,304 times
I currently live in Magna and will say that it's not as bad as people say it is, but it has it's downfalls.

We moved here from Heber because I took a job downtown SLC. Magna seemed like a decent commute and it has been. We live in a newer neighborhood and have been happy with our neighbors, but only a few blocks the neighborhoods start looking pretty bad. Honestly, had we known more about the area we wouldn't have moved here... but we were in a hurry to get a place and settle for a while.

Luckily, I haven't had a problem with any crime in our area but that doesn't mean I'm not always on watch. The majority of people in Magna seem to not care much about personal hygiene or education which makes it pretty frustrating when you go to the local Smiths. That said, there are also a handful of non-trash people around that almost balance it out.

Honestly, we can't wait to get out of here... but we're dealing for now. We are not city people and prefer small towns, Magna is just a large town connect to a small city. Not really what we prefer anyways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area