Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 10:42 PM

61 posts, read 133,726 times

Advertisements

Hello, I have recently signed up to this forum after lurking for a long time. I have lived in Salt Lake City, UT for a few months, but I have never been to Ogden, UT before. I wanted to know what Ogden, UT was really like from someone who actually lives there. How is the job market there? Is the crime really as bad as everybody makes it out to be (in Salt Lake, people swore that it was one of the most dangerous areas on earth)? Is the cost of living really high? How about public transportation, is it as good as in Salt Lake? Is it more diverse than Salt Lake (or just diverse, period)? Are there hundreds of homeless roaming the streets? And last but not least, would you recommend living or relocating there? I know that this is a lot of questions, especially for a noob, so please excuse my excessiveness, and I appreciate any and all replies .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 02:09 PM

75 posts, read 199,712 times
We lived in Ogden for a couple of years and we liked it. There are some places that are kinda funky but overall it's a nice place to live. The train is there so transportation is good. Did not see a lot of homeless people.

Not really diverse. Cost of living is not at all high. Our utility bills are actually really cheap.

It's a historic town, pretty small. Good place to raise a family but would probably be boring to a single person.

Old 09-01-2009, 02:37 PM

Thank you, Pinaypie !

Old 09-01-2009, 03:20 PM

427 posts, read 1,304,765 times
Well you know it's only a 30 minute drive from SLC if you want to check it out, or a $5 trip on the FrontRunner Rail that goes from SLC to Ogden

I don't live there but can tell you that it does have above average crime but nothing ridiculous. In fact, SLC is just as bad crime wise. The difference is that SLC has its 'bad' areas (rose park, glendale, etc) whereas Ogden's areas are mixed in with eachother.

To me the city feels a lot bigger than it is (a city of 82,000). The downtown has a pretty nice core, with lots of restaurants and establishments and a real urban feel. There's also been a lot of new development as well as many new downtown apartments, helping with the vibrancy. On a given weekeday you'll see taxis and buses driving around and what not. Transporation is mainly buses and taxi around town. There's also the FrontRunner which connects to other cities. I think the job market is much more production / manufacturing / industrial based. Not as many tech jobs. What kind of job market are you in?

Old 09-01-2009, 10:12 PM

36 posts, read 102,416 times
A lot of people from SLC or Ogden put a horrible name to the city of Ogden. Yes I concur that it does have its crime. But some parts of Ogden are nice. When we speak of Ogden, you have to remember there is also South Ogden, North Ogden, Riverdale, Roy... all within miles apart from one another.

Ogden itself is older, a lot of history. Some neighborhoods you for surely would want to stay away from. But you need to visit a certain neighborhood to get that vibe.

My wife and I lived in Ogden for a while. My son was born there. My wife being from Los Angeles and myself from Phoenix felt completely safe in Ogden. The only problem we ever had was loud college kids from Weber State!

Old 09-01-2009, 10:14 PM

Oh and sorry, Ogden is quite diverse. My wife being puerto rican and myself white felt totally comfortable.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:25 PM

Thanks for the answers, MrAnderson and DallasJoseph. MrAnderson, I am not currently in Salt Lake City at the moment, but I see that Ogden is technically in the Salt Lake area, I am a security professional who is working toward becoming a paramedic. Thanks, DallasJoseph, I have heard that Ogden is more diverse compared with Salt Lake City in regards to minority presence, I didn't see too many minorities when I was in Salt Lake City, mostly immigrants hanging out by the Gateway.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:02 PM

Good deal. Are you looking for a school to get your paramedic training? If so, check out Weber State in Ogden.

As a security professional do you have interest in LE? Davis County Sheriffs Office has Deputies that are paramedics as well. I knew a few and they loved it.

Old 09-04-2009, 06:55 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,289,908 times
I used to live in South Ogden and currently work in the downtown Ogden area. My problem is that I have seen many changes in the community over the last 30 years and not enough are for the positive. I would encourage anyone moving into the area to skip Ogden proper. Instead, I would live in North Ogden, South Ogden, Roy, or Riverdale if I had a choice. Washington Terrace is also an option for those who don't have a lot of money, but choose not to be in the downtown. Finally, if you must live in Ogden City proper, I'd encourage you to look at the area around Weber State University. Live east of Harrison Boulevard and South of 32nd Street This is not a big area.

There are too many abandoned houses in the downtown areas. There is a gang problem. There is a stratification developing between Spanish-speaking people who are continuing to arrive and long time Caucasian residents who are gradually leaving the area. The public school system is not good. There is a high rate of teenage pregnancy. The violent crime rate is considerably higher than the state average. Although, Utah's average is so low that even Ogden doesn't seem bad compared to many places outside Utah.

There are some positive signs that the community may be in the midst of a renewal. Ogden has a mayor who has worked very hard to turn the city around. The new mall in the middle of downtown is a vibrant place with a gymn, Children's Museum, new apartments for rent, and a couple of restaurants. Twenty Fifth Street has been redeveloped and there are eclectic shops and cafes there. The Dinosaur Museum and Ogden River Parkway are also worth visiting. Perhaps, in twenty years, I'll think differently about Ogden. Right now when people refer to Ogden as "historic", I kind of smile and think that is a pseudonym for old, dilapidated, and in need of change.

Old 09-05-2009, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasJoseph View Post
Good deal. Are you looking for a school to get your paramedic training? If so, check out Weber State in Ogden.

As a security professional do you have interest in LE? Davis County Sheriffs Office has Deputies that are paramedics as well. I knew a few and they loved it.
Thanks! I am definitely looking for a school to get my paramedic training, and I will look into Weber State if I head that way. I am a security professional and I have also worked in Corrections when I was back east in Virginia. I wanted to go back into straight law enforcement when I was in Salt Lake City, but there was a hiring freeze and one of the bike officers told me that they weren't recruiting at the moment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area