Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 11:19 AM

602 posts, read 1,873,364 times

Advertisements

I volunteer at the Eccles Community Art Center in Ogden Utah. It's a pretty cool place!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2009, 10:52 PM

1,294 posts, read 3,254,853 times
When we moved to UT from FL last year in Jan, we quickly learned that the time to buy Winter clothes is before the season, not during. We couldn't find anything we needed, even at Wal-Mart or Target.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:25 PM

10 posts, read 39,942 times
That's what I thought. Thanks!
Any more tips on clothes.
How much do hand warmers cost over there?

Old 11-03-2009, 08:36 AM

You mean gloves (whats a hand warmer)?

I am a guy, so they are like $5-$25 for a pair.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:08 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
Or do you mean those things that when you squeeze them, they heat up? Something you carry in your pocket until you need it.

Old 11-03-2009, 11:16 AM

Yes, because I have seen them here for 10 for about $2. I'm pretty sure I'll need them because my hands are always freezing and gloves don't really help even though its about 70 F.

Old 12-31-2009, 08:04 PM
cga

27 posts, read 67,246 times
My husband and I moved from the San Francisco Bay Area in Oct of '09.
Here are a few good things to know about Utah:

- if you do not drink water regularly, you'll experience a lot of dehydration headaches since it's a desert...it's dry!
- you may frequently wake up with dry eyes, therefore, lubricant eyedrops are essential
- get a good humidifier for the house
- never take the weather for granted. In winter, be prepared by carrying warm clothes with you in your car at all times. You never know when a gray day can turn into a sudden snow storm
- eating out will be cheaper here (compared to California). The average meal will run two people about $25-$28 with tip
- eating out is not so costly, but it's a bit difficult to find good food here unless you go into the city. Here are some places we like: Famous Daves, Lamb's Grill, Bohemian Brewery, Squatters, Red Rock Brewery, Outpost Cafe (for breakfast-yum!), Rodizio Grill, Cafe Med (Greek), Fuddruckers, Market Street Grill, Mazza (Middle-eastern), and more.
- the theaters here rock and are cheaper (it seems)! Best time to go to a movie is Thursday nights when there's practically nobody around.
- best time to go grocery shopping is Sunday at Costco or Sam's Club, no crowds
- people here drive absolutely insane, they speed on the highways (and I'm talking faster than 80 as a general rule) and are snails on the non-highways. They make California drivers look like pros. My favorite expletive for these annoying drivers is "Utard." I've never seen such poor driving, it drives me crazy.
- people here are friendly, for the most part. If you're from California (especially Northern), you might wonder what it is they really want. It can be strange at first. Sometimes they are also nosey and will want to get up in your business, asking strangely personal questions for seemingly no good reason in the course of casual conversation (again, what DO they want).
- the produce here generally sucks, but Sams and Costco are pretty safe
- if you are a woman, it is desperately hard to find good shoes and clothing here, but maybe it's just me
- if you drink, you'll learn to appreciate a quick drive to Wendover to stock up ; )
- the skies here are unreal, the most beautiful sunsets and light shows on a frequent basis
- don't go to Antelope Island in the summer, you'll be attached by bugs
- "traffic" here is about 60% the traffic you'll find in California metro areas (but watch the Utards)
- there's fabulous natural wonders only 4-6 hours drive from Salt Lake, like Moab or Dinosaur National Monument, etc.

Anyway, if you have any questions, I was in your shoes once. Utah is great in many ways, but there are things I definitely miss.

Old 01-15-2010, 02:13 AM

Thanks you so much! I won't actually be driving there, but that is good info to know. Thank you for the restaurant suggestions too!

Old 01-16-2010, 05:22 AM

31 posts, read 78,039 times
CGA-that was a great post! Thanks for sharing. I now have concerns about dry eyes and bad fruit. I also wonder how bad the traffic really gets there. Every now and then, I'll read a thread here about how bad the traffic gets in certain areas around the city. I am just wondering if it even compares to the traffic here in NJ/Philly area. I am hoping that traffic problems to them is just 'light volume' to me. ;-)_

Utards=priceless!!!

Old 01-16-2010, 08:44 AM

Traffic does get built up in places along I-15 near the Davis/SL county lines (but they are widening the road there so that should improve), where the 215 bypass meets I-15 and between the top of the mtn (where Utah/SL counties meet).

But none of this is like I-95/downtown traffic you might run into in Philly or Newark or anything. Sure you slow down and sometimes stop on the highway but its never a 30 minute wait or something crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area