Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 12:32 PM

835 posts, read 2,076,770 times

Advertisements

Good luck with the arrival process! If your temp house is falling through, s check out one of the extended stay places like Residence Inn just for a week or so to unload the stress factor.
The Spring skiin has been great-but very soft. It is what I like to refer to the 10 til 1 days!
Safe travels...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 06:53 PM

9,375 posts, read 6,980,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibarbie View Post
Good luck with the arrival process! If your temp house is falling through, s check out one of the extended stay places like Residence Inn just for a week or so to unload the stress factor.
The Spring skiin has been great-but very soft. It is what I like to refer to the 10 til 1 days!
Safe travels...
Thx barbie... I'm going to do just that, already got my corporate rate for Residence Inn @ 65/night + tax so that isn't bad.

I was planning to do Saturday @ Alta and Sunday at Deer Valley/Park City. We're Floridians and haven't skiied in about 4 years so will need lessons to get the rust off. Would you suggest a different location for us to go?

Old 03-18-2010, 08:18 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
Thx barbie... I'm going to do just that, already got my corporate rate for Residence Inn @ 65/night + tax so that isn't bad.

I was planning to do Saturday @ Alta and Sunday at Deer Valley/Park City. We're Floridians and haven't skiied in about 4 years so will need lessons to get the rust off. Would you suggest a different location for us to go?
If you go to Alta, ask for Nic Nichol. He's the assistant director of the Alta Ski School. Tell him his sister-in-law recommended him and that he can buy me dinner as a thank you.

Last edited by Katzpur; 03-18-2010 at 08:29 PM..

Old 03-18-2010, 08:47 PM

835 posts, read 2,076,770 times
Call ahead for DV ski school-435-649-1000- as this is the busiest week of the never ending spring break. If you can get a lesson with Emily Elliot, you will enjoy that a lot. Eric Janes is another great instructor. Bring your sun screen and have a ball..

Old 03-22-2010, 07:56 PM

Just ended up doing 1 day at Alta and took a group class instead of individual. Boy skiing for two with lessons, equipment, lunch, and ski passes add up quickly. Thankfully our calves/thighs were done in so we had to take Sunday off.

We spent all day today looking for housing and are somewhat disappointed. We've tried KSL, Craigslist, and a Property Management firm searching for places. I think we saw 11 places today and found 2 maybes (if that).

A 3rd place was up in North Salt Lake (Foxboro North) but not quite sure on the surrounding area. Seems quite desolate and most of the houses on the block seemed vacant/for sale. Any input from you guys on this area would be helpful!

We really did like the Avenues neighborhoods the best but both places were a bit small for us. Didn't find any decently priced units with the squarefootage in East Millcreek / Sugarhouse area, everything was pretty much West along I-15. You can definately see a big difference in the neighborhoods the further east you go.

Old 03-22-2010, 08:56 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,974,602 times
Foxboro is a pretty nice area, actually. I think what happened there is most of the homes were built and purchased at the height of the real estate boom. Home values crashed and most likely, most of those homes are ready to be foreclosed on or short sales.

If you are up to moving west (Tooele County) a little bit, there are several homes for rent in my neighborhood (Stansbury Park)

Old 03-30-2010, 10:39 AM

Ok... So now that my "soon to be wife" and I have been able to get situated here in SLC I think we're zeroing in on the Avenues.

We've looked at several different locations and see even a big difference between 1st Ave / A St to 3rd Ave / F St and even more to 10th Ave / U St.

Generally as I understand it the further up the hill (1st -> 10th+) and further away from downtown (A st -> T st ) the prices go up substantially. You also go from more of a mix of college students/renters/transients to more stable/older people/families. I guess there is a correlation between demographics and pricing.

What I'm trying to understand is sort of the local or insider perspective on this greater area or neighborhood?

Specifically what I've seen are older homes; beautiful turn of the century Victorian style (former polygamist?) homes sliced and diced into multi-tenant rentals. I'm trying to stay away from that and have looked at houses that are still intact as a single entity.

I've actually looked at 3 such units just out of my price range between 3rd-5th ave and F st - N st. They all have similar initial asking prices but I'm sure there is 10%+ on the down side for negotiation. They all even have lease to own options where we would stay in the home for 2 years w/option to purchase at the end as well as locking in a price now.

Any input on this specific section of the neighborhood in terms of crime/safety, future price expectations or trends, and general quality of life would be greatly appreciated!

Old 03-31-2010, 06:19 PM

74 posts, read 202,082 times
SWFL
I think for your specific interests and where you will be working, the avenues makes a ton of sense. Given the proximity to the downtown area, you can't go wrong on resale. I imagine you have a realtor so you have gotten their input which is valuable? I have lived in various parts of the avenues during different periods of my life and I have only watched the real estate go up up up.
I know SLC is hurting like other places but in the long run, I would guess the avenues will always hold its own in regards to an investment. What you have described in your last post regarding students/transient populations being on the lower aves is exactly what I have observed over the last 20 plus years I have known SLC. That is exactly where I lived as a student (Third Avenue). Upper avenues are seen as very desireable real estate - just like many east side benches that provide a close proximity to SL and a view of the valley. Run a crime search and I bet there is a bit more crime in the lower avenues BUT it is still likely lower than many neighborhoods close to a downtown area. I used to walk my dog all the time and sometimes pretty late all over the avenues and never felt unsafe.
The splitting of those beautiful Victorian are more likely due to catering to the poor student population than polygamy but that was pretty funny.

I would do exactly what you are doing - go as far up as you can afford and stay closer to the U as you have suggested. Although, pretty much once you get above 11th, it is smooth sailing and how great would it be to ride your bike up city creek in a blink of any eye? I think you need to work it given you are buying/negotiating at an excellent time. I would guess if you could hold on for 5 years, you would probably do okay based on past results. Like I have said, I can't believe the price increases in SLC over the last 20 years and the avenues has always done well given the variations in population it attracts. Zillow some of the homes you are looking at and I bet you would be amazed over the last 10 years of increased value despite the last two year dip in property values.
Good luck. I am jealous you get to negotiate in such a buyer's market.

Old 03-31-2010, 07:03 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
Any input on this specific section of the neighborhood in terms of crime/safety, future price expectations or trends, and general quality of life would be greatly appreciated!
In general, it would be safe to say that the higher on the Avenues you go, the better. In other words, a home on 16th Ave would probably be a better choice than a home on 6th Ave. Of course, if you really like the older homes and are into the whole renovating thing, that's another matter. For years, the lower Aves were the home of Salt Lake City's hippy culture (yeah, I know... I'm old). That's changed over the years, but they would still attract younger people, students, singles, etc. while the higher Aves would appeal to the people making the big bucks, established business people, doctors, lawyers, etc. And then there is also the middle ground -- and the Middle Avenues. (I'm kind of guessing on this part, but I'd say 9th to 14th Avenue. Maybe someone who has lived in that area would be a better judge than I.) Overall, the Avenues is a good pick. Also, I'd personally suggest that you focus further east on the Avenues (closer to the University of Utah) unless you're looking right near the Capitol Building. In other words, go for the higher letters in the alphabet (i.e. 'L' as opposed to 'C'.) Anywhere in the Avenues would put you close to downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area