Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 10:12 AM

48 posts, read 245,208 times

Advertisements

So, it's entirely possible that we'll soon have an opportunity to move to San Antonio for me to take a job there. As I've been un or under employed for about 15 months, I'm ready to hit the road ASAP.

Currently, we're living in Edmond, OK, but it's not "home". Over the last 15 years, we've lived in Long Beach, CA (home), Ventura, CA, New Haven, CT and Oklahoma. Of all of these places, it's entirely possible that we like Edmond the best, as it's nice, quiet, affordable and, generally speaking, people are quite nice.

On the other hand, I'd be lying if I said that, culturally, we didn't feel a bit out of water here, as, unlike most of our neighbors, we're not churchgoers, we're resolutely liberal and we actually recycle (I mean, really, how hard is it people?!?!).

Anyway, based on all I've read here, I'm guessing that we're in for much of the same in San Antonio, which doesn't really surprise me. Basically, we're OK with that, but with what seems to be more options, I want to find an area that is as good as possible at meeting our familial desires. So, here's the wish list:

• Socially and/or politically liberal.
  • Good schools (our sons are 4 and 6, one with some medical, not academic, special needs).
  • Good grocers (Whole Foods, HEB Central Market).
  • Interesting local shopping (boutiques, etc).
  • Good restaurants (preferably not chains).
  • Walkable (walk score 50+)
  • Decent (30 min or less) commute to downtown SA.
Now I know from reading posts here that there are areas that do really well in some of these areas, but bomb in others. What we're looking for is a happy medium. If forced to choose, the schools, shopping and restaurants are most important because it's harder to compensate for not having these things than it is the others.

Finally, budget. We'll be selling a 3000sf, 4 bed, 4 bath home here in Oklahoma for about $300,000. Given that, I believe, property taxes are higher in Texas than they are in Oklahoma, we're looking to stay below $250K for a similarly sized home (although I know there's no state income tax, which makes this difference less important...still).

We're open to private schools if an area excels in every other area we're looking for, but home prices would need to be lower still to justify the expenditure.

I understand I'm looking for something that doesn't exist in San Antonio, so please understand I know I'll need to compromise. Right now, SA is competing with Portland, OR (another place I have an opportunity). Although for all practical measures I prefer Portland (sorry SA), I can't overlook that SA is a great town as well, with a lower cost of living and a job opportunity that pays 15% more than the opportunity in Portland (crazy, I know).

I look forward to any advice, consul, suggestions or warnings that y'all can provide.

Thanks a bunch!!!

Old 10-18-2010, 10:45 AM

915 posts, read 1,904,512 times
There are neighborhoods that meet your needs, but 250,000 AND public schools is tough unless they get into 1 of the academies like SAISD's Hawthorne. You can throw out Monte Vista and King William based on price. Try Mahncke Park, Alta Vista, Tobin Hill, and Lavaca.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:08 AM

3,503 posts, read 19,889,611 times
I think you would be surprised that you will find what you are looking for in SA. Although limited only be few places that meet your desires. Mahncke Park, Lavaca, Alta Vista and Government Hill are areas that you would feel comfortable. Schools in those areas are good and bad depending on the one you pick. Private schools are an option.
What you desire does exsist in SA. It's just not prevalent and limited to certain areas.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:24 AM

790 posts, read 1,881,391 times
I like SA a lot, but would go with Portland in a New York minute. The $250K price for a house in a good school district (with the other accoutrements of walkability, etc) put the 78209 zip out of range. San Antonio people are nice (really nice, actually) but given your OK experience, I'm wondering if it will be too close to what you already have.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:39 AM

1,366 posts, read 4,488,647 times
Actually, the area we live in fits alot of what you are looking for... We live in the area just past Leon Springs, entering Boerne... We live in The Summit of Lost Creek... The homes are within your budget and are the size you are looking for... We are not in the city limits, so no city taxes... We are in NISD, one of the best school districts in SA and the schools that our neighborhood feeds into are excellent...

The elementary school, Aue Elementary, is phenominal!!! My daughter loves it... The school is in it's 4th year and after only it's first year open the school made Exemplary status, almost unheard of for a brand new school...

My husband works in downtown and has a commute of apx 25mins... We have an HEB (not central market) apx 1 mile from our neighborhood... We are apx 7 miles from Main Street in Boerne, where you will find unique shopping and some great restaraunts around town... Broken Stone Pizza is amazing, the Dodging Duck is really good as well, Bear Moon Bakery is amazing, just to name a few... Boerne is also very much a walking little town... You find a parking spot and walk up and down main street, to the library, etc...

There is a neighborhood that is apx 1/2 mile up from us, called Sable Chase, that may fit your needs as well... The prices are a bit more for less house and the HOA fees are apx $500 more a year than ours... However Sable Chase is a gated community and will have a community playground... Also, Sable Chase is in Boerne school district, not NISD... This neighborhood was not open when we built and honestly, had it been, it would have been a very tough decision for us as to where to live... We LOVE LOVE LOVE our current floor plan here in The Summit but Sable Chase is a smaller community... Also we were looking to keep the kids in NISD, but Boerne is a good school district as well... Either way, I mention both communities to give you some options in the same area... Within the Lost Creek Community there is also a neighborhood called The Heights of Lost Creek that you may be interested in as well...

Good Luck with your decision!!!

Old 10-18-2010, 01:38 PM

399 posts, read 1,139,584 times
While it sounds like Portland is much more your style, I doubt you'll find anything near Portland for $250,000-$300,000 as it's much more expensive there. Also, please be aware that many of the near downtown area's mentioned so far are in transition. That can be both good and bad. Bad from a school district and safety perspective, good from near-town, walkable, livability perspective.

Old 10-18-2010, 01:52 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,780,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 713 to 210 View Post
While it sounds like Portland is much more your style, I doubt you'll find anything near Portland for $250,000-$300,000 as it's much more expensive there. Also, please be aware that many of the near downtown area's mentioned so far are in transition. That can be both good and bad. Bad from a school district and safety perspective, good from near-town, walkable, livability perspective.
Alamo Heights is near downtown and inside loop 410. Schools within AH district are some of the best within San Antonio. The area is very safe.

Plus you will find Central Market, non-chain resturants, walkable areas, interesting shopping. Not sure if the area is very liberal but probably more liberal than any area outside loop 1604. If you want liberal, I would advise you to stay away from living outside loop 1604. (I am liberal myself but not completely so...having lived both outside loop 1604 and inside loop 1604...this is my own observation) I currently live 5 mins from downtown now and love it.

Sadly, it will be very tough to find 3K sq feet for less than $250,000 in the AH area. I wish you luck whichever you decide to do.

Old 10-18-2010, 03:19 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,409,476 times
"Where's a nice place to raise a liberal family?"

Central Austin.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:10 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,618,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
"Where's a nice place to raise a liberal family?"

Central Austin.
I'm a raging liberal and I get along just fine in San Antonio. Honestly, how much do you people talk about politics? I would say it comes up very little in my day to day life.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:49 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,752,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstxcop View Post
Actually, the area we live in fits alot of what you are looking for... We live in the area just past Leon Springs, entering Boerne... We live in The Summit of Lost Creek... The homes are within your budget and are the size you are looking for... We are not in the city limits, so no city taxes... We are in NISD, one of the best school districts in SA and the schools that our neighborhood feeds into are excellent...

The elementary school, Aue Elementary, is phenominal!!! My daughter loves it... The school is in it's 4th year and after only it's first year open the school made Exemplary status, almost unheard of for a brand new school...

My husband works in downtown and has a commute of apx 25mins... We have an HEB (not central market) apx 1 mile from our neighborhood... We are apx 7 miles from Main Street in Boerne, where you will find unique shopping and some great restaraunts around town... Broken Stone Pizza is amazing, the Dodging Duck is really good as well, Bear Moon Bakery is amazing, just to name a few... Boerne is also very much a walking little town... You find a parking spot and walk up and down main street, to the library, etc...

There is a neighborhood that is apx 1/2 mile up from us, called Sable Chase, that may fit your needs as well... The prices are a bit more for less house and the HOA fees are apx $500 more a year than ours... However Sable Chase is a gated community and will have a community playground... Also, Sable Chase is in Boerne school district, not NISD... This neighborhood was not open when we built and honestly, had it been, it would have been a very tough decision for us as to where to live... We LOVE LOVE LOVE our current floor plan here in The Summit but Sable Chase is a smaller community... Also we were looking to keep the kids in NISD, but Boerne is a good school district as well... Either way, I mention both communities to give you some options in the same area... Within the Lost Creek Community there is also a neighborhood called The Heights of Lost Creek that you may be interested in as well...

Good Luck with your decision!!!
I second what Mrs. TxCop says except we are in a different subdivision than her called the Woods of Frederick Creek which is currently being developed by Armadillo Homes and Ryland. Armadillo has great floor plans and I think Ryland as well. Lost Creek Subdivision which Mrs. TxCop recommends has some really love views of the farm it backs on to and its quiet.

We absolutely love Boerne and its a great little community. We don't always have to go into San Antonio but need be it is a 30 to 40 minute commute maximum and dependent on traffic as well.

Wish you all the best! And yes there are liberals here in SA and Boerne.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio