Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 06:50 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,838,269 times

Advertisements

I guess, then, that you're doomed to living a life in fear, eh?

Think about the above - and then contrast it to your comments. You don't put stickers on because "I'm afraid of it being vandalized in my neighborhood", then go on to speak against those who who put on "Confederate flags. I know they say it's about southern pride and blah, blah, blah; but it still makes me feel uncomfortable."
Sorry - but 1st Amendment rights don't guarantee that those who exercise them are going to make you feel comfortable. "Hate speech" is all too often geared specificially to deny the rights of those who would say things that make us uncomfortable or give rise to strong feelings. When I see PETA stickers, say, I don't care for the message - but I don't try to classify that as "Hate Speech" even though their dogma is geared to removing MY rights as a landowner to raise livestock for consumption.
This is a big ol' world, with lots of room in it for varying ideas, ideals and values. If you don't want to eat meat, that's fine with me - just don't try to insist that I don't. If you want to fly a Confederate flag - whether to show your pride of the South or your ignorance as to the human rights of all people, that's okay too - just don't get in the face of someone else and spew hate-filled remarks, or try to pass laws to deny others of their rights - because THAT is wrong, too.

Old 10-21-2010, 07:03 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,478,778 times
1. I did not say people don't have a right to put stickers on their car just because it makes me uncomfortable.

2. I did not say the stickers or Confederate flags were hate speech.

I said I've overheard hate speech or that people have used hate speech in conversations with me. I did not give one example of the hate speech, so you're making something out of nothing. I really don't know where you get all of this stuff from. Again, I said the hate speech and Confederate flags make me uncomfortable, I did not say it should be illegal and I did not say the flags or stickers are hate speech.

Quote:
just don't get in the face of someone else and spew hate-filled remarks, or try to pass laws to deny others of their rights - because THAT is wrong, too.
What you just mentioned right there as being wrong is what I consider hate speech, so I don't see your point. I also have the freedom of speech to say that something makes me feel uncomfortable.

Last edited by L210; 10-21-2010 at 07:23 AM..

Old 10-21-2010, 07:03 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,794,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
In a perfect World where there's no political hate.... I would agree with you.

But sadly, there's many areas in "fly-over country" where people have a sick hate against anybody that thinks politically different than they do.
Do a search for "Bill Sparkman" so you'll see the type of crazy people that live there.
That highway runs both ways. Try living on the west coast and thinking in ways other than the dominant political party there. Plenty of sick hate against anyone different from them too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by meisha210 View Post
I don't even put political stickers on my car because I'm afraid of it being vandalized in my neighborhood. Everyone around me has stickers supporting the other side and some have them along with Confederate flags. I know they say it's about southern pride and blah, blah, blah; but it still makes me feel uncomfortable.
Only 1 sticker on my car and it looks like this

edit: They've got an Oregon one too for all of you from down there.

Last edited by scuba steve; 10-21-2010 at 07:22 AM..

Old 10-21-2010, 07:17 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
Only sticker that I want on my car is:
"KEEP TEXAS GREEN" because I like trees (double meaning)

Old 10-21-2010, 10:57 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,878,067 times
Stickers on cars are tacky.

There is also nothing wrong with wanting to live in a community that shares a similar lifestyle as yourself. Sometimes republicans and democrats might live exactly the same, on the same block, even having the same lifestyle, but sometimes conservatives and progressives will form communities based on their own unique lifestyles.

In that case there is nothing wrong with inquiring about certain communities and their lifestyles.

Old 10-21-2010, 12:30 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,992,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaGrace View Post
I'm a raging liberal and I get along just fine in San Antonio. Honestly, how much do you people talk about politics? I would say it comes up very little in my day to day life.
Bingo! Politics and religion are bad topics of discussion unless you are amongst true friends; and for the most part San Antonians would rather discuss less controversial topics such as the Spurs or the weather.

I have heard Portland is nice but expensive. I just met with a group of folks from there in a similar climate (southern Germany) and to be honest; unless you like long, wet seasons I would lean towards SA. You can get a lot more home for your money, the school systems are pretty good (in our opinion), folks are very friendly here as long as you don't engage in controversial issues and we've got excellent weather!

But I would recommend posting the same question in the Portland section of this forum and get their viewpoints as well, as ultimately it is your decision.

Good luck! M2

Old 10-21-2010, 12:41 PM

2,312 posts, read 3,665,685 times
I deleted my own post.......dont ask why

Old 10-21-2010, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meisha210 View Post
1. I did not say people don't have a right to put stickers on their car just because it makes me uncomfortable.

2. I did not say the stickers or Confederate flags were hate speech.

I said I've overheard hate speech or that people have used hate speech in conversations with me. I did not give one example of the hate speech, so you're making something out of nothing. I really don't know where you get all of this stuff from. Again, I said the hate speech and Confederate flags make me uncomfortable, I did not say it should be illegal and I did not say the flags or stickers are hate speech.

What you just mentioned right there as being wrong is what I consider hate speech, so I don't see your point. I also have the freedom of speech to say that something makes me feel uncomfortable.
My friend, with all due respect, you're looking for an arguement with someone that is trying to discuss things with you.

I don't think that I said you said folks couldn't put stickers on their cars - what I DID say was what you said - that it made you uncomfortable. What I was trying to point out is that unless you KNOW the motivation of the sticker, you're being uncomfortable because of your own prejudices - you are presuming a meaning that someone else may not intend. That also leads to the presumption of hate speech where none is actually intended.

This is a big old world - and there's enough REAL problems without looking for reasons to be offended because of what someone might say when a conversation isn't directed at you.

What I WAS primarily trying to point out was directed at your comment re. your fear of retaliation if you put a sticker on your car - yet you can't tell me of a single instance locally that you have knowledge of where that happened.

Please - I can only surmise that because of my screen name you presume I'm going to be coming from a certain direction, but take the time to really READ what I said, and take it as written. I ain't your enemy.

Old 10-21-2010, 02:59 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,123,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
What I WAS primarily trying to point out was directed at your comment re. your fear of retaliation if you put a sticker on your car - yet you can't tell me of a single instance locally that you have knowledge of where that happened.
A few months back I had a co worker say she had someone yell at her from another car passing by called her a "N Lover" and some other cuss words because she had a Obama sticker on her bumper.
I don't see it on her car anymore, my guess is the incident may have spooked her a bit.

Old 10-21-2010, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
A few months back I had a co worker say she had someone yell at her from another car passing by called her a "N Lover" and some other cuss words because she had a Obama sticker on her bumper.
I don't see it on her car anymore, my guess is the incident may have spooked her a bit.
Sheesh - can't blame her a bit! It'd been nice to have gotten a plate number, though - idjits like that SHOULD be visited by male members of her family with large baseball bats....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio