Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 12:48 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,478,778 times

Advertisements

I think they're concentrating on people inputting information into their phones. I don't know how they're going to prove that. I've never used GPS on my phone. Do you have to put anything else into it after you put in the addresses before you take off?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2010, 05:55 AM

2,216 posts, read 4,541,701 times
I use gps on my phone all the time. however I do input the info before I drive off. I am though holding the phone in close to my ear just so I can hear it.

GPS is a lot less of a distraction than trying to look at a Texas map in the car while driving.

Old 10-15-2010, 08:30 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,123,776 times
I was the highway after work and saw the highway status signs mention the texting and driving. Heads up folks!

Old 10-15-2010, 09:03 PM

1,720 posts, read 4,506,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Add to that the people that can barely hold the steering wheel because they have their dog on their lap

Or worse! what about the people that let their dog drive? I'm sure that said driver thinks thinks his dog can do better than most people Drums and im off to hide LOL

Old 10-15-2010, 09:26 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,031,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
I was the highway after work and saw the highway status signs mention the texting and driving. Heads up folks!
Saw that sign tonight as well at 281 & Basse.

Old 10-15-2010, 11:39 PM

61,726 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Me too.... but I keep wondering how it will be enforced?? People that text will just try to keep their hands low and invisible for the cops sitting in their cruisers.
With hands on the laps and head down, the risk of accident will even increase!
The only solution could be to utilize mobile application which disables texting and emailing in a moving vehicle.

Last edited by elnina; 10-15-2010 at 11:48 PM..

Old 10-16-2010, 01:25 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,031,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Me too.... but I keep wondering how it will be enforced?? People that text will just try to keep their hands low and invisible for the cops sitting in their cruisers.
With hands on the laps and head down, the risk of accident will even increase!
The only solution could be to utilize mobile application which disables texting and emailing in a moving vehicle.
OR maybe they should have just maintained the status quo instead of making things worse. Oooops!! Where are they going to get their revenue in that case?

yup, yup!

Old 10-16-2010, 11:33 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,728,132 times
They need to ban talking on the phone too unless wearing an earpiece. Even if you have the ability to focus on driving and focus on the conversation you still cant see properly. When you are holding a phone up to your ear you can't see over that shoulder.

I do understand that studies have shown that an ear piece is no better, but that would be next to impossible to enforce because police wouldnt be able to tell if the person is on the phone, singing, or simply talking to themselves.

Old 10-16-2010, 07:17 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,478,778 times
This girl almost hit me because she had her phone up to her ear and started moving right into my lane. Another issue with having a cell phone up to your ear is that you don't have both hands readily available if you need them. The same goes for eating and driving.

Old 10-23-2010, 07:21 PM

1 posts, read 661 times
I'm all for the not texting and driving. It's dangerous. I also hate when people talk on the phone while driving too. My husband is an excellent driver, but once he gets on the phone, he totally has his head up his ass and I have to be the complete eyes and ears. It makes me worried when I'm not with him because he's gotten lucky several times. It's bad enough that the majority of the people here in Texas can't drive! The funny thing is... I work at a car dearlership and some of the new vehicles have texting on their navigation/sync setups. I know... what will they think of next. It's one thing when you're in your vehicle talking, but texting?! And on a screen you have to lean over to reach and focus on?! Now THAT is dangerous, but guess what, people are still gonna do it. It's dumb... What's the point of making a 5-star safety crash rating when you're putting something so dangerous in the vehicle... I suppose they really want you to test out all that expensive safety equipment... Dumb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio