Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 08:56 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times

Advertisements

You described it like it was a prison or Mad Max Thunderdome where you fight to live. I'm guessing it was people of a different color or race who were picking on you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
A lot of gangster types in elementary and middle school here in the 1980's? No.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:28 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,878,067 times
I think you have seen too many movies lol

Let's just leave it with as you never had to deal with bullying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Back when I went to school people used f, q, gay, stupid a**, b___ to describe anyone they didn't like for any particular petty reason. If you were too overweight you were called gay, if you were too nerdy you were gay, too short, too black, too tall, too shy, etc. A lot of people are just incredibly petty and rude but not really homophobic.
I went to school before the gamer era where 'ghey' is used to mean lame or for any of the things you have described. The word itself meant one thing then. We had the first nintendo though in our era as well as actual arcades.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:24 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,849,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberAzeneth View Post
Hey AlGreen, just change the title of the thread. Hate is a little harsh to say wouldn't you think? Being a good Christian and all you should probably say that you do not like San Antonio as much as you have some of the other places you have lived. Anyway, I always enjoy all of your posts in all of the different forums and threads here on City-Data. You do have to admit that San Antonio is one really beautiful city!! At least I believe it is.
Yes, I do really like the topography of San Antonio, and there are truly some beautiful areas.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
You're always welcome in Dallas..............
Something to think about...

Old 01-17-2011, 10:29 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,478,778 times
I think everyone knows that the n-word is not acceptable. When an older person calls me "colored" or "negro", I just let it roll off my back; but if someone calls me the n-word with the intention to insult, that is not something I take lightly. The complaints of a non-black person calling someone the n-word are about those who are using it to insult and harass, not about those trying to be cool. There are other racial and homophobic slurs that everyone should know are unacceptable. Most of the slurs that are used today have never been acceptable or haven't been acceptable for a long time.

It is true that people will avoid having conversations about race issues with those outside their ethnic group. It is quite an uncomfortable conversation to have and it can offend those who belong to the group being accused of racism. But maybe we should have more conversations about race issues instead of acting like they don't exist. Otherwise, race issues aren't going to be addressed since a lot of people here aren't even aware that they're here.

I would have to disagree with TRN. It took legal action to change the general acceptance of racism in this country. It used to be acceptable to smack your wife, but since it was made illegal, the people who grew up under laws against domestic abuse see it as unacceptable. Racism and domestic abuse are not completely gone, but their occurrences have dramatically reduced. People tend to think the whole country is going to fall apart when the government forces integration, repeals DADT, and gives women rights; but when they see that it hasn't, they soon realize that their ignorant fears were unwarranted. We should always strive to be better and not accept the status quo because "it's always been that way." People who accept the status quo have never changed anything even when change has been proven to be possible.

Last edited by L210; 01-17-2011 at 10:37 PM.. Reason: Added a paragraph.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:41 PM

448 posts, read 919,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
You're always welcome in Dallas..............
I recently moved to Dallas and I am looking forward in moving back to SA in 2012.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meisha210 View Post
I think everyone knows that the n-word is not acceptable. When an older person calls me "colored" or "negro", I just let it roll off my back; but if someone calls me the n-word with the intention to insult, that is not something I take lightly. The complaints of a non-black person calling someone the n-word are about those who are using it to insult and harass, not about those trying to be cool. There are other racial and homophobic slurs that everyone should know are unacceptable. Most of the slurs that are used today have never been acceptable or haven't been acceptable for a long time.
I'm sorry, and I don't care how old the person is...if someone calls me "colored", I'm not letting anything roll off my back . That word hasn't been acceptable for something like 40 years now and there's no excuse for anyone to still be saying it. To me, the term "Negro" is dignified and not something I take offense to, but it is a bit archaic, so if someone were to call me that I'd probably just look at them like this

Old 01-18-2011, 04:13 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,260,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
Okay, random rant....

Sorry, but this place is so backwards. Never in my life have I witnessed such a universal disdain for homosexuals and Blacks in a "major" city. I'm black, and if another white or Mexican male calls another black person a "n---a", I'm going to lose it. The disgust people have for homosexuals here is despicable. And I'm a southern-raised Christian....so go figure.

Why are most people here slow and/or bad drivers? Why doesn't anyone know how to dress? Why is VIA so unreliable? Why won't they fix West Ave? Why don't people here control their children? Why are there no black radio stations? And why should I give a rat's a-- about the Spurs?

...atleast the food is good.
SA seems to be a bunch of small towns rolled into one big area...with all the big city problems, of course. There's another link on this forum about SA being the second least educated city in America. As a white person, I noticed a lot of shameless racism toward blacks when I first moved here. FOrtunately, I'm not used to it yet. I think attitudes toward gay people are changing slowly, and there seems to be less tension with the police.

Old 01-18-2011, 04:29 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,794,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuthernGuhl28 View Post
Africa Africa Africa
You don't know how hard it is sometimes to explain the term to people who are Egyptian...

Old 01-18-2011, 06:08 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,260,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
You don't know how hard it is sometimes to explain the term to people who are Egyptian...
I know a blonde woman, whose mother is from Morocco. You should see the looks on people's faces when she tells them she is of African-American decent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio