Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 07:48 AM

69 posts, read 99,575 times

Advertisements

HEB basically competes against itself therefore sets its own pricing wars from store to store. I have noticed that for sometime now that HEB stopped giving coupons out at the register. Why would they want consumers to save money when it is less money they can make for themselves. As a consumer I would a like to have a choice of many other stores rather than either Walmart, Target and of course HEB. Driving through Houston I have noticed Krogers, La Fiesta, Albertsons, Market Basket, etc. This city should welcome more competition from other grocery chains rather than make it seem like proprietary contract they with HEB. HEB will probably have its own municipality in a few more years with its own mayor. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 12:10 PM

437 posts, read 639,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elousive1 View Post
HEB basically competes against itself therefore sets its own pricing wars from store to store. I have noticed that for sometime now that HEB stopped giving coupons out at the register. Why would they want consumers to save money when it is less money they can make for themselves. As a consumer I would a like to have a choice of many other stores rather than either Walmart, Target and of course HEB. Driving through Houston I have noticed Krogers, La Fiesta, Albertsons, Market Basket, etc. This city should welcome more competition from other grocery chains rather than make it seem like proprietary contract they with HEB. HEB will probably have its own municipality in a few more years with its own mayor. LOL
H-E-B beats Walmart in Houston SN Price Check | Retailers content from Supermarket News

Old 02-28-2014, 03:34 PM

349 posts, read 422,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elousive1 View Post

I dont even get this at all.

I mean its not like nobody is welcoming any competition to HEB. There have been many competitors over the years. All of them lose out ultimately to HEB for various reasons.

As a result, my guess is that many other big chain supermarkets are leery of entering the market.

I dont know where anyone involved in decision making seems to make it seem like they are only HEB and HEB only. Its not the city's fault when a private business (i.e. supermarket) doesnt enter the market when they have seen many other competitors come and ultimately leave because of an inability to take significant market share from HEB (or now Walmart) in the supermarket industry to make their stores profitable.

Seems like simple economics.

Old 02-28-2014, 04:16 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,878,067 times
It is capitalism in action that only H-E-B remains after beating off its competitors after decades.

Their distribution system of warehouses and trucks and ability to focus on this region also gives them an advantage over any other national chain. H-E-B is just leaner and meaner when it comes to South Texas.

It also seems to me that maybe the complaint of wanting more competition is uniquely one from out-of-towners who settled in San Antonio but are much more used to a larger marker with a variety of names and choices. Who would not want competition when they are used to it?

Of course if that were to happen here again most locals would continue to shop at H-E-B because they would simply sell for less than any new competitors.

Old 02-28-2014, 04:17 PM

Location: inside, where it is warm or cool depending on the season
117 posts, read 140,092 times
I like HEB and appreciate the low prices on organic food - to keep whole foods (semi)honest compared to other markets. for example organic salted butter 1-pound is 3.99 at HEB (central market brand) and whole foods was running a deal for 3.99 (normally 4.99). Meanwhile whole foods in other parts of the country sells the same organic butter for $7.99!! WHAT A RIP!

The sun harvest chain is gone being bought by sprouts, which kept (I believe) all the locations open. Sprouts has higher prices on some things and lower on others.

Unfortunately whole foods is the only chain to sell decent organic bread. Sprouts organic bread falls apart just picking it up. BUT HEB sells Udi's gluten free bread (in the freezers) for less than anyone else. My favorite eggs are also the most expensive - Whole Foods - Jerimiah's worlds best organic eggs SOY FREE 6.49/dozen BUT AWESOME. WF lowered the 356 organic eggs to match HEB/central market organic eggs - 3.99 dozen. Again showing HEB is keeping pressure on WF to keep prices down - great for the consumer! This is unique to TX markets. I'd love to know if there are other markets that give WF a run for its money - and keep prices down.

Last edited by sanantoniomike; 02-28-2014 at 04:42 PM..

Old 03-02-2014, 10:21 AM

42 posts, read 75,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexguy View Post
If HEB purchase Comercial Mexicana, as some news say, then will be more larger in Mexico than in the United States.
No idea they had their sights on CM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
H-E-B entered the Mexican market with a store in Monterrey in 1997.

I would also love to visit the Wal-Mart built near the Mexican pyramids.
Thanks. No idea it was that early in the seconfd half of the 90's. I wouldn't suggest going there, that WalMart caused a major stir in the population. Some said the pyramids would be destroyed in order to place the pyramids and that they will be sold to the US. Heck, many are against the sell of Mexico to the U.S. since they believe it will destroy our culture.

Old 03-02-2014, 11:11 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,878,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReynosenseConsternado View Post
No idea they had their sights on CM.

Thanks. No idea it was that early in the seconfd half of the 90's. I wouldn't suggest going there, that WalMart caused a major stir in the population. Some said the pyramids would be destroyed in order to place the pyramids and that they will be sold to the US. Heck, many are against the sell of Mexico to the U.S. since they believe it will destroy our culture.
Wal-Mart on one hand and franchises on the other have indeed destroyed our culture. Go to any place in the US and you will find less regional flavor in lieu of corporate uniformity and blandness with the same power centers filled with the same stores.

Now H-E-B on the other hand is part of our culture here in South Texas and the Hill Country. Although they are changing faces to become more like Wal-Mart (clothes, appliances, etc.) than the traditional grocer that they used to be.

Old 03-02-2014, 11:14 AM

336 posts, read 484,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dastexan View Post
I dont even get this at all.

I mean its not like nobody is welcoming any competition to HEB. There have been many competitors over the years. All of them lose out ultimately to HEB for various reasons.

As a result, my guess is that many other big chain supermarkets are leery of entering the market.

I dont know where anyone involved in decision making seems to make it seem like they are only HEB and HEB only. Its not the city's fault when a private business (i.e. supermarket) doesnt enter the market when they have seen many other competitors come and ultimately leave because of an inability to take significant market share from HEB (or now Walmart) in the supermarket industry to make their stores profitable.

Seems like simple economics.

But it is a city problem when that grocery chain is so strong that they can go as far as to easily close down public streets for their own private matter.

Bottom line: HEB writes gigantic checks in order to keep favor with everyone that really matters. They have a wonderful marketing department who make them look 'hometown friendly' in the process.

Old 03-02-2014, 11:24 AM

1,552 posts, read 2,330,165 times
HEB - bah. I've noticed at our last shopping trip that they are cutting out brand name organic products to fill the shelves with HEB Organic (which seems to be displacing Central Market Organics). One has NO idea what schlock farm makes HEB 'organics'. This is an old story as brands move to the bottom shelf and then fade away. If not for WF, we would have little access to quality higher end items. Too bad they won't expand more as they did in Austin.

Old 03-02-2014, 08:32 PM

349 posts, read 422,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staunchcharacter View Post
But it is a city problem when that grocery chain is so strong that they can go as far as to easily close down public streets for their own private matter.

Bottom line: HEB writes gigantic checks in order to keep favor with everyone that really matters. They have a wonderful marketing department who make them look 'hometown friendly' in the process.

Fair enough, but you really cant use the excuse that this has historically been a street into King William when it was only dedicated back in the 40s or 50s or so.

Which was one of the greatest arguments I had heard for why the street shouldnt have been closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio