Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 10:14 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,482,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
I already pointed out and posted how the San Antonio hispanic population is not the same as other communites in Texas when it comes to the educated. Again, it is different becasue it is more acculturated, and a much much higher population that goes back generations, 3rd, 4th an so on. As far as weathty mexicans moving in to S.A. that are already educated, do not contribute to S.A's higher hispanic college attainment figures.
If that were the case, San Antonio's overall college attainment rate would be higher than that of Houston, Dallas, and Austin. You are making an assumption that is not grounded in any facts. Now you want to stretch the numbers by comparing all of Bexar County to other cities, not counties? You are still wrong in that respect. Bexar County is 58.7% Hispanic. You said that San Antonio Hispanics are different from Hispanics in other Texas cities because of the foreign born rate. So you're basically saying that native born Hispanics are more likely to go to college than native born blacks. You don't have any facts to back that up. If wealthy Mexican immigrants are moving to certain Texas cities over uneducated immigrants, then they would contribute to the Hispanic college attainment rate. You can't have it both ways. You can't say that immigrants would drag down the rate in certain cities, but wealthy immigrants would not improve the rate.

Bexar County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 10:27 PM

93 posts, read 95,131 times
Looking over past posts, seems you'll go 'round and round with this person for days ...and get nowhere. They (SHSA) will never admit to what most others can clearly see. Sad.

Old 10-27-2011, 12:44 AM

2,744 posts, read 6,114,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
If that were the case, San Antonio's overall college attainment rate would be higher than that of Houston, Dallas, and Austin. You are making an assumption that is not grounded in any facts. Now you want to stretch the numbers by comparing all of Bexar County to other cities, not counties? You are still wrong in that respect. Bexar County is 58.7% Hispanic. You said that San Antonio Hispanics are different from Hispanics in other Texas cities because of the foreign born rate. So you're basically saying that native born Hispanics are more likely to go to college than native born blacks. You don't have any facts to back that up. If wealthy Mexican immigrants are moving to certain Texas cities over uneducated immigrants, then they would contribute to the Hispanic college attainment rate. You can't have it both ways. You can't say that immigrants would drag down the rate in certain cities, but wealthy immigrants would not improve the rate.

Bexar County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

The college attaintment is about the same in SA, Houston, and Dallas. Austin is the only city that is higher. You are just going in circles around the info I posted, all Im saying is that hispanics in SA are more acculturated and more attend college than the assimulated hispanic population.

As far as hispanics in S.A being more educated than the national average for blacks, I am not certain but wouldn't doubt it is higher. The hispanics in SA are 75% US born so it is not the same on many levels such as socioeconomic class etc as hispanics in Atlanta, Des Moines or even Houston.

Never said anything about wealthy educated mexican nationals not being apart of the total percenatge, dont have separate stats on that, I was just refering to the high US born hispanic population in SA. and providing the link showing SA is a top us city for hispanic grads. My post was in respone to a person stating that Mexicans dont go to college and I responded, maybe overall but not in SA.

Last edited by SweethomeSanAntonio; 10-27-2011 at 01:21 AM..

Old 10-27-2011, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonehoner View Post
Looking over past posts, seems you'll go 'round and round with this person for days ...and get nowhere. They (SHSA) will never admit to what most others can clearly see. Sad.

Actually I usually am the source in here about S.A. facts, other forumers email me saying they would pay me if they could for shuting up the S.A. haters and people that throw baseless info over and over as seen all over this riduculous thread and others. Forumers beware of SHSA, I never lose a debate, never have. When Im wrong I always admit it.

Last edited by SweethomeSanAntonio; 10-27-2011 at 12:56 AM..

Old 10-27-2011, 01:14 AM

93 posts, read 95,131 times
Quote:
Actually I usually am the source in here about S.A. facts, other forumers email me saying they would pay me if they could for shuting up the S.A. haters and people that throw baseless info over and over as seen all over this riduculous thread and others. Forumers beware of SHSA, I never lose a debate, never have. When Im wrong I always admit it.
Seems you are somewhat of a legend...in your own mind.

Old 10-27-2011, 03:41 AM

Quote:
The college attaintment is about the same in SA, Houston, and Dallas. Austin is the only city that is higher. You are just going in circles around the info I posted, all Im saying is that hispanics in SA are more acculturated and more attend college than the assimulated hispanic population.

As far as hispanics in S.A being more educated than the national average for blacks, I am not certain but wouldn't doubt it is higher. The hispanics in SA are 75% US born so it is not the same on many levels such as socioeconomic class etc as hispanics in Atlanta, Des Moines or even Houston.

Never said anything about wealthy educated mexican nationals not being apart of the total percenatge, dont have separate stats on that, I was just refering to the high US born hispanic population in SA. and providing the link showing SA is a top us city for hispanic grads. My post was in respone to a person stating that Mexicans dont go to college and I responded, maybe overall but not in SA.
You have not proven that Hispanics in San Antonio are more educated than Hispanics in other parts of the country. Considering that Hispanics make up 2/3 of the population in San Antonio, their educational attainment rate has the most influence on San Antonio's overall educational attainment rate. How about you take a look at these maps?

http://www.sanantonio.gov/planning/p...s/0304GQ07.pdf
http://www.sanantonio.gov/planning/p...s/0301GR69.pdf
http://www.sanantonio.gov/planning/p...s/0301GR68.pdf
http://www.sanantonio.gov/planning/p...s/0302GR41.pdf

Houston and Dallas' educational attainment rates still manage to be higher than SA's even though you claim that SA's Hispanics are probably more educated than blacks. Houston and Dallas' bachelor degree attainment rates are 5 percentage points higher than SA's. They don't blow us out of the water, but they aren't "about the same."

Quote:
Um, no. You did not win anything. How can you win when your stats are wrong? Neither Bexar County nor San Antonio have a 50% proportion of Hispanics. I'm not even sure I can trust your "75% of San Antonio Hispanics US born" statistic.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
You have not proven that Hispanics in San Antonio are more educated than Hispanics in other parts of the country. Considering that Hispanics make up 2/3 of the population in San Antonio, their educational attainment rate has the most influence on San Antonio's overall educational attainment rate. How about you take a look at these maps?

http://www.sanantonio.gov/planning/p...s/0304GQ07.pdf
http://www.sanantonio.gov/planning/p...s/0301GR69.pdf
http://www.sanantonio.gov/planning/p...s/0301GR68.pdf
http://www.sanantonio.gov/planning/p...s/0302GR41.pdf

Houston and Dallas' educational attainment rates still manage to be higher than SA's even though you claim that SA's Hispanics are probably more educated than blacks. Houston and Dallas' bachelor degree attainment rates are 5 percentage points higher than SA's. They don't blow us out of the water, but they aren't "about the same."

Um, no. You did not win anything. How can you win when your stats are wrong? Neither Bexar County nor San Antonio have a 50% proportion of Hispanics. I'm not even sure I can trust your "75% of San Antonio Hispanics US born" statistic.

Please use data that isn't from the 20th century anything from 2000 is statistics compiled from the 1990's. S.A. has emerged into a totally different city since the 1990's. S.A is about 25% attainment, Dallas 26%, and Houston 27% not 5 points.....please use current data to substantiate your case. When you say Dallas, Houston and Austin have much more educated, Im here to tell you, you are dead wrong, Austin is the only city with a sizeable lead over not only SA but Dallas and Houston as well.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:52 AM

Actually let me update San Antonio's US born hispanic population, according to Julian Castro, the mayor of San Antonio, 90% are U.S. born. I read an artice several years ago that stated it was more than 75% and posted it in here on a similar discussion.

UM YES!

[LEFT]Just like in San Antonio. This is, as Castro notes, the largest U.S. city (at about 1.4 million) that is also majority-Hispanic (61 percent). And, according to him, the bulk of those Hispanics - more than 90 percent - are U.S.-born.

Read more: RUBEN NAVARRETTE: Young Hispanic mayor of San Antonio straddles two cultures - Beaumont Enterprise[/LEFT]

Last edited by SweethomeSanAntonio; 10-27-2011 at 09:58 AM..

Old 10-27-2011, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Please use data that isn't from the 20th century anything from 2000 is statistics compiled from the 1990's. S.A. has emerged into a totally different city since the 1990's. S.A is about 25% attainment, Dallas 26%, and Houston 27% not 5 points.....please use current data to substantiate your case. When you say Dallas, Houston and Austin have much more educated, Im here to tell you, you are dead wrong, Austin is the only city with a sizeable lead over not only SA but Dallas and Houston as well.
And yet, you can't provide a source. According to a survey that was done between 2005 and 2009, the percentage of people 25+ with a bachelor's degree in San Antonio was 23. 4%. Houston and Dallas were at 28.3% and 28.2% respectively. If if San Antonio had a 25% rate, that's not much of an improvement from 23.4%. It's definitely not as far off as your incorrect statistics on ethnic makeup. Your theory is that San Antonio's Hispanics are more educated than the blacks and Hispanics in Dallas and Houston. Well, San Antonio is 70.1% black and Hispanic while Houston and Dallas are 67.5% and 67.4% respectively. Boy, I guess the white people in Dallas and Houston must be more educated than the whites in San Antonio to make up for the less educated minorities they have according to you. They make up for them so much, Houston and Dallas still come out ahead.

San Antonio (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
Houston (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
Dallas (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Old 10-28-2011, 06:19 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,843,631 times
ummm....guys, what difference does it make? I've had degreed professionals working for me that couldn't pour water out of a boot if the directions were on the heel. The degree means very little to most folks - especially if you've got work history. Better paying jobs ARE in SA now compared to even 5 years ago, and frankly the future looks even better. If you're not making decent money right now, either you expect too much and would be complaining anywhere - or you just aren't trying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio