Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 11:39 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Irish View Post
I understand that. However, majority of people on here and quick to accuse. I am not saying the evidence is not stacked against him because it is. In this country you are innocent until proven guilty which thus far he is not. Knee jerk reactions like firing him, which has been mentioned earlier, would not look good if he somehow is proven innocent in court. Then what??? Sorry we fired you please come back to our team. When compared to other teams in the NBA the Spurs are considered top-notch when it comes to management, coaching staff, etc. Shoot Gilbert Arenas brought guns into the locker room and he is still playing. Remember, innocent until proven guilty.
Well, you don't even have it correct; it is a person is presumed innocent until proven guilty. A person is not innocent until proven guilty, they are either innocent or they are guilty.

But that is for our judicial system, which has nothing to do with his employment status. There is nothing in the Constitution that guarantees a person's job, so he is not protected from being fired by that document.

Even if his diabetes was an issue here, he knew he had the disease and knew what drinking could do to him; so he was well aware of the risks but chose to ignore them.

Lastly, the Arenas cases just shows how lacking in integrity the Spurs organization is. It is pathetic that they claim to represent this city yet allow such issues to go unpunished. I actually expect Buford to plead out to some lesser charge, due to his position within the organization; and the ignorant masses will continue to support them. Then they wonder why their kids grow up with no values and the next thing we know, they are crying on the local news telling everyone what a good kid their child was even though he was shot trying to rob someone or doing drugs. It is a vicious downward spiral...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2011, 11:56 AM

1,074 posts, read 1,801,514 times
Well, I think you know what I am getting at. He has a right to defend himself in court and yes the judicial system will determine his innocence or guilt. I was not talking about his employment per se. I was speaking about his rights. Secondly, how is the Arenas case close to this one? I do agree that he will probably plead out though to try and save his job/some face. But who knows??? Once again I am not excusing his actions. He is a grown man who, like most us, needs to except responsibility for his actions. Sadly, you are right about these folks who make excuses for their problems and blame everyone else. When in reality it is generally the person in the mirror's fault.

Old 11-12-2011, 01:09 PM

He has every right to defend himself in court (although I am pretty sure he'll plea out to lesser charges via his lawyer), and he'll get his chance to; but as for his position on the Spurs staff that should be a no-brainer even for that organization. There is enough evidence for them to dismiss him, and rightfully so under Texas employment laws; but the Spurs are once again sticking their heads in the sand over the issue because honestly I don't think they care, which is a sad testimony to that team.

As for Arenas, he should not only not be playing in the NBA but he should be doing jail time. He and Javaris Crittenton are examples of the low-life crooks populating the league, drawing guns on each other in the locker room over all things, a gambling debt! Arenas drew first according to witnesses, but Crittenton cannot carry a handgun in DC if I am not mistaken so both committed felonies. But once again professional athletes slide out from under the law just as Buford appears to be doing.

Absolutely pathetic, as is anyone who defends these clowns. Honestly, I don't miss the NBA a bit, and I hope this current dispute and season cancellation finally convinces people to not support these overpaid children and their games!

Old 11-12-2011, 03:14 PM

993 posts, read 2,491,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post

As for Arenas, he should not only not be playing in the NBA but he should be doing jail time. He and Javaris Crittenton are examples of the low-life crooks populating the league, drawing guns on each other in the locker room over all things, a gambling debt! Arenas drew first according to witnesses, but Crittenton cannot carry a handgun in DC if I am not mistaken so both committed felonies. But once again professional athletes slide out from under the law just as Buford appears to be doing.
Wizards fan here, okkayy you can stop laughing. From what I understand, handguns in D.C. are banned. If you want a handgun and live in D.C. better move some where else. Crittenton is also in more trouble as he has a murder charge on him right now. That dude could be going to jail for a long time.

Old 11-12-2011, 06:21 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,047,374 times
He's a just a fat, rich slob and I hope justice is served. Not the sharpest tack in the box, for sure....

Old 11-12-2011, 09:18 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,778,122 times
The fact he is presumed innocent until proven guilty means he should be considered innocent until it can be proven he is guilty. He is being accused of a crime, therefore he has the right to defend himself.

Most posters here are not considering him innocent. In their eyes, he is guilty already. Based on the evidence, I feel he is guilty but it has not been proven so I am waiting to see what exactly happened that night.

I am just so pathetic for defending the rights of a "fat rich slob" or any other American for that matter.

This whole incident has upset me because I hate drunk drivers but I also hate it when people judge so quickly.

Old 11-12-2011, 09:38 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,477,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newk View Post
Wizards fan here, okkayy you can stop laughing. From what I understand, handguns in D.C. are banned. If you want a handgun and live in D.C. better move some where else. Crittenton is also in more trouble as he has a murder charge on him right now. That dude could be going to jail for a long time.
I believe they are no longer banned. A D.C. security officer went all the way to the Supreme Court challenging the gun ban. He had to leave his gun at his place of employment after work because he couldn't take it home. If I remember correctly, the ban was ruled unconstitutional. High capacity magazines and assault rifles are still banned.

Old 11-12-2011, 09:39 PM

1,803 posts, read 2,624,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
The fact he is presumed innocent until proven guilty means he should be considered innocent until it can be proven he is guilty. He is being accused of a crime, therefore he has the right to defend himself.

Most posters here are not considering him innocent. In their eyes, he is guilty already. Based on the evidence, I feel he is guilty but it has not been proven so I am waiting to see what exactly happened that night.

I am just so pathetic for defending the rights of a "fat rich slob" or any other American for that matter.

This whole incident has upset me because I hate drunk drivers but I also hate it when people judge so quickly.
i respect your opinion but i happen to know a bit more about this case than everyone thats commented, MMM is the exception to that.

needless to say there is more going on than just him getting pulled over for DWI. there is one part of this story that makes a world of difference that cannot be told right now, but hopefully when this goes to trial, it will be brought to light.

/that part about him not killing anyone (this time) was hit a lot closer to home than people realize
//and buford almost lost his life
///and not because of the wreck...

Old 11-12-2011, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
The fact he is presumed innocent until proven guilty means he should be considered innocent until it can be proven he is guilty.
If he is considered innocent than the DA would not be pursuing charges against him. Sorry, the presumption of innocence means he has a right to a trial, it by no means makes him innocent of anything; just as he is just as guilty of doing the crime before being convicted of it as he is afterward. The only difference is that it hasn't been proven to a jury of his peers in a court of law. Presumption of innocence does not make a person guilty of breaking the law innocent in any way, shape or form.

Quote:
He is being accused of a crime, therefore he has the right to defend himself.
No one is denying him his day in court. If anything, he is the one already pleading his case before it's gone to trial. And as predicted, I doubt he'll go as far as an actual trial; as by all indications he will be pleading out to some lesser charge in a plea bargain with the prosecutor's office. That will only solidify the farce that is the so-called campaign to combat drunk driving in this city.

Quote:
What, people aren't allowed to form their opinions based on the facts known? And if you are so adamant about Constitutional rights, what about the First Amendment? People have as much right to speak their minds over what transpired as he does his day in court.

Quote:
The sad thing is that based on this city's record of drunk drivers, it is natural to believe that is what he is guilty of. The evidence shown is almost stereotypical of many drunk driving arrests here.

Drunk driving is not going to be "arrested away," it will take a concerted effort by those who live here to convince the district attorney and courts that soft sentences and plea bargains for convicted drunk drivers will no longer be tolerated. Drunk or not, Buford is very lucky that he didn't injure or kill someone; almost every weekend there are news reports of fatalities associated with drunk drivers here. Until such time as the population of San Antonio gets serious about combating the problem, we will continue to read about account such as Buford's...

Old 11-12-2011, 10:42 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,801,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matttx View Post
the fact he is presumed innocent until proven guilty means he should be considered innocent until it can be proven he is guilty. He is being accused of a crime, therefore he has the right to defend himself.

Most posters here are not considering him innocent. In their eyes, he is guilty already. Based on the evidence, i feel he is guilty but it has not been proven so i am waiting to see what exactly happened that night.

I am just so pathetic for defending the rights of a "fat rich slob" or any other american for that matter.

This whole incident has upset me because i hate drunk drivers but i also hate it when people judge so quickly.
amen son!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio