Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2009, 08:15 PM
Lil

32 posts, read 77,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Forest View Post
Tifway 419 is not what you want for grass...it has to be fertilized at least four times a year maybe more and preferred method of cutting is a reel mower. It is used in golf courses and is relatively high maintenance...

Well, I guess it's for whatever works for your yard in Westcreek with your location and soil. I've had tiff 419 for 7 years in hot sun , high traffic area with kids and pets and never had a problem. I don't fertilize four times a year and I use a regular lawn mower. There is another Tiff variety that is used in Golf Courses and was used by a resident in the Hollows (it's pretty, but high maintenance) . Plantanswers.com and the Bexar County extension (plus the Bexar County Master Gardeners) websites have all the facts and answers for what grows in our area and can easily be researched. Basically, plant only what you can manage and take care of and what you enjoy.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:21 PM
Lil

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellguy View Post
I wonder if neighbors know about the SAWS WaterSaver Landscape Rebate Program? www.saws.org
I know this is not the right time (drought and excessive heat) to re landscape our yards but it is worth considering.

Good point. Saws has excellent literature and a website with lots of information. I am a recipient of the rebate; at the time it was $500 off my water bill over a course of almost a year before I used it. I am also a San Antonio Watersaver Contest Winner from 2006 which is San Antonio-wide and also offers a small reward. The rules and criteria has changed since I received my rebate; so you'll have to get the latest from their website. Now is the time to plan your landscape; so when the cooler weather arrives you'll have the beds and areas prepared.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:24 PM
Lil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
When it comes to landscaping, WC has very little diversity. The HOA should promote more xeriscaping this time around as limited water supply is more common now.

Your absolutely right The next newsletter will have more details on it and the ARC is happily accepting xeriscaping plans that come in on the proper forms and a plotted survey for approval.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:27 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,392,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil View Post
Well, I guess it's for whatever works for your yard in Westcreek with your location and soil. I've had tiff 419 for 7 years in hot sun , high traffic area with kids and pets and never had a problem. I don't fertilize four times a year and I use a regular lawn mower. There is another Tiff variety that is used in Golf Courses and was used by a resident in the Hollows (it's pretty, but high maintenance) . Plantanswers.com and the Bexar County extension (plus the Bexar County Master Gardeners) websites have all the facts and answers for what grows in our area and can easily be researched. Basically, plant only what you can manage and take care of and what you enjoy.
I'm not trying to be a smarta$$, a lot of people don't know this
Quote:
Good point. Saws has excellent literature and a website with lots of information. I am a recipient of the rebate; at the time it was $500 off my water bill over a course of almost a year before I used it. I am also a San Antonio Watersaver Contest Winner from 2006 which is San Antonio-wide and also offers a small reward. The rules and criteria has changed since I received my rebate; so you'll have to get the latest from their website. Now is the time to plan your landscape; so when the cooler weather arrives you'll have the beds and areas prepared.
if you press the multi-quote button (to the right of the quote button) and finish with the quote button on the last post you want to quote
Quote:
Your absolutely right The next newsletter will have more details on it and the ARC is happily accepting xeriscaping plans that come in on the proper forms and a plotted survey for approval.
you can combine three (or more) posts into one

Old 07-07-2009, 09:59 PM

1,671 posts, read 3,842,002 times
Lil -Is the home in The Hollow the first one to the left as you drive in off of Westcreek Oaks?

That same variety of grass is what we had in California where I grew up. Its a beautiful Golf Course grass that wears well as you said. If I recall it didn't take a lot of water to keep it green and it loves full sun. The secret as you know is it needs to be mowed /cut with a reel mower and not a rotary mower. I maybe wrong but the only people that mowed that yard correctly were the first owners. As you know a good gas powered reel mower will cost $600 - $1200 plus. When I was in High School (late 70's) my Dad bought a new reel mower for approx $800 . He had it for 20 years.

I would love to have that yard but my wife would probably have me buy a much less expensive Manual Push Reel Mower.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:42 AM
Lil

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellguy View Post
Lil -Is the home in The Hollow the first one to the left as you drive in off of Westcreek Oaks?

That same variety of grass is what we had in California where I grew up. Its a beautiful Golf Course grass that wears well as you said. If I recall it didn't take a lot of water to keep it green and it loves full sun. The secret as you know is it needs to be mowed /cut with a reel mower and not a rotary mower. I maybe wrong but the only people that mowed that yard correctly were the first owners. As you know a good gas powered reel mower will cost $600 - $1200 plus. When I was in High School (late 70's) my Dad bought a new reel mower for approx $800 . He had it for 20 years.

I would love to have that yard but my wife would probably have me buy a much less expensive Manual Push Reel Mower.
That's the one. Your right, it's never looked the same since the first owners. Personally, I never met those owners, but my neighbor did . We always admired that yard. I picked up a manual reel mower last year at Sears - I think it was under $200. The only issue I have with it - is keeping it sharp. I have a small sharpening tool that I have used on the blades with little success. It is a lightweight reel mower and easy to use. I also found another site that is more recent on Texas grasses; (they are always doing trials on new varieties). http://aggie-turf.tamu.edu/answers4y...-2009-05lr.pdf

Old 07-08-2009, 08:55 PM

Good Evening All - This evening when I returned home my wife had our VOWC July-September Newsletter waiting for me. No slippers or dinner though (Just joking she's more than I deserve)

In my opinion the Homeowner's that share the Common Fences (which are no longer Common) have been BAMBOOZELED. By rescinding those Resolutions the HOA /BOD have wiped there hands clean of any fence responsibility. I assume we are to be satisfied that they will stain the fences and remove graffiti. Isn't that their responsibiltity anyway?.
We live in difficult economic times and I foresee the fences going to Hell in a Hand Basket real quick. With all due respect to you that share these fences I know that there will be those that will not be able to afford the maintenance of the fences. Through no fault of your own fences in some areas will deteriorate. With this and again I mean no disrespect the main streets will look like crap. You all are inheriting shoddy fences that the HOA has failed to maintain.
As I have stated previously we don't back up to Military, Westcreek Oaks, etc. I have never had a problem with our dues paying for 50% of the fences. It does us all good to have a neighborhood that is appealing. Has anyone every driven into a neighborhood where the homeowner's are responsible for fences that back up to a major road?

Did anyone see this coming? We have lived here since December 1999 and why the change now? *Maybe this is why I was never called /emailed back when I showed interest in joining the Fence Committee. I would have shot this down in a heartbeat.

If I am missing something here please let me know. Again I mean no disrespect towards anyone.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:32 PM

18 posts, read 24,708 times
WellGuy,
I respectfully disagree with you on the fence issue. Why should I, as a homeowner, have a portion of my assessments used to pay for replacing fences that the property owner does not take proper care of. There are many instances along the major streets that have trees and bushes planted too close to the fence to allow enough sunlight in or air to circulate to reduce mold and rot(I'm not talking about established trees that the builders left standing.). The 2004 Standards has some recommendations which are not frequently followed in respect to this issue. I have heard of some homeowners that have delayed fence repair so that the HOA would pay 50% when it came time for the fence project. If there has been an HOA failure, it is that they haven't strictly enforced these standards. In my conversations with the HOA, the fences, whether along a major street, minor street or between houses belong to the property owners. I do not live along a major street nor do I have a fence that borders one but I am expected to keep my fences maintained. I expect those who do border a major street to do the same. In the interest of conformity and to maintain a decent standard, I agree to have some of my money spent by the HOA to stain the major fences and because grafitti is so rampant and the property owner has little or no control over who is on the sidewalks I agree that a portion of assessments should be used for that purpose. Besides I think the HOA would be more responsive to graffitti clean up.
Additionally, my understanding of common property is that property owned and shared by all.
I also found out that the Fence Committee started meeting shortly after the Annual meeting where it was announced and volunteers asked for. It was also broadcast on the website and the minutes posted. I understand there was a poor response for volunteers. I also understand that the committe finished the begining of April. Was your request before that time? My interpretation of the CC&Rs only say that a portion of the assessments can be used for fence maintenance without defining maintenance. You can find any numbers of dictionaries where maintenance is ambiguously defined. I choose to believe the committee and the Board made the right call to put the majority of fence maintenance back where it belongs.
We may disagree but those are my thoughts. I think we have a common interest at heart and that is to maintain and improve, where we can. this community and its beauty.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:17 PM

I respect what you have stated. If you read back in this thread you will see that I too expressed concerns about homeowners who have purposely planted bushes, trees, vines, etc too close to the fence. Those plants have been encroaching upon the fences for years. Why has the HOA set back and allowed this too happen?.

As I stated we do not back up to any major road and I have no problem with part of the dues we pay being applied to fences. I want to drive in and out of The Villages of Westcreek not Five Palms or Sky Harbor.
I challenge anyone to drive into a subdivision where the HOA leaves fence maintenance soley up to the homeowner and you''l see the future. I can say this because I see it everyday. You might as well kiss the appearance of this neighborhood goodbye. You can already see the poor condition of the fences along Westcreek Oaks.
My problem may be that I care too much about this subdivision. Unlike most people out there our house is paid for and we have no intentions of moving.
There has always been something about the HOA and maintenance. Crap they can't keep up the landscaping around the monuments.

I feel that most people will be pleased with the decision that the BOD and HOA have made. Maybe most of you won't be around to see what I'm concerned about but I sure as hell will . Then I'll proudly say that the HOA and BOD are doing their best to keep my property value up.

Last edited by wellguy; 07-09-2009 at 09:38 PM..

Old 07-09-2009, 09:20 PM

86 posts, read 174,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCFSH1PILOT View Post
WellGuy,
I respectfully disagree with you on the fence issue. Why should I, as a homeowner, have a portion of my assessments used to pay for replacing fences that the property owner does not take proper care of. There are many instances along the major streets that have trees and bushes planted too close to the fence to allow enough sunlight in or air to circulate to reduce mold and rot(I'm not talking about established trees that the builders left standing.). The 2004 Standards has some recommendations which are not frequently followed in respect to this issue. I have heard of some homeowners that have delayed fence repair so that the HOA would pay 50% when it came time for the fence project. If there has been an HOA failure, it is that they haven't strictly enforced these standards. In my conversations with the HOA, the fences, whether along a major street, minor street or between houses belong to the property owners. I do not live along a major street nor do I have a fence that borders one but I am expected to keep my fences maintained. I expect those who do border a major street to do the same. In the interest of conformity and to maintain a decent standard, I agree to have some of my money spent by the HOA to stain the major fences and because grafitti is so rampant and the property owner has little or no control over who is on the sidewalks I agree that a portion of assessments should be used for that purpose. Besides I think the HOA would be more responsive to graffitti clean up.
Additionally, my understanding of common property is that property owned and shared by all.
I also found out that the Fence Committee started meeting shortly after the Annual meeting where it was announced and volunteers asked for. It was also broadcast on the website and the minutes posted. I understand there was a poor response for volunteers. I also understand that the committe finished the begining of April. Was your request before that time? My interpretation of the CC&Rs only say that a portion of the assessments can be used for fence maintenance without defining maintenance. You can find any numbers of dictionaries where maintenance is ambiguously defined. I choose to believe the committee and the Board made the right call to put the majority of fence maintenance back where it belongs.
We may disagree but those are my thoughts. I think we have a common interest at heart and that is to maintain and improve, where we can. this community and its beauty.

Bingo - Helloooooooo, I totally agree. You own the house, the plot, the fence - take responsibility for what you own. I maintain, repair and replace my own fence. Why should I have to pay for someone who doesn't have enough pride in their own property. Most of us in this community are military and accustomed to following regulations and rules that protect our assets. It's all about respect for yourself and your neighbors. We all have an investment in the main streets. You "own" your fence - what part of English do people not understand that concept!
You can not blame the HOA because some people choose NOT to maintain their fence! To keep it fair across the board - hold people accountable to their responsibilities. The HOA is not a welfare institution - your community is what "You" put into it! Keep up your end of the fences; maybe the slackers will follow. I want this community to shine - not turn into a slum - we all need to hold ourselves to a standard of accountabilty. This is my community and I plan on doing my part to keep it respectable so my children would want to come back and raise their children here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio