Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2009, 02:45 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,395,601 times

Advertisements

we need more trees. That was my favorite part of the neighborhood when I moved her in 2001. My section seemed to be the last part that even tried to keep a few trees around. The newer parts of the Estates and everything after that just got rid of almost all of them. I wouldn't trade my two big ones in the back yard for anything and neither would my dogs.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:06 PM

1,671 posts, read 3,842,502 times
CH1960- It is fair to say that this new direction upsets me. I try not to get hot under the collar. I hate to perspire.
After all these years the BOD and Fence Committee elected to do something that is not right. These are my own thoughts and no one has to agree with me but I have seen exactly what I was talking about. Unlike most residents here in the VOWC I have been to almost every subdivision in town and all the neighborhoods in between.
I won't harp on this any further unless I'm questioned. I do feel for those that are now going to keep up the fences on their own. In 1999 we were told, not by Centex but a Representative of the HOA who visited within days of us moving in what the responsibilities of the HOA were and what ours were. We pretty much knew what was said since we researched the VOWC before selecting to build. I remember that evening that there were two individuals, a Man and his Daughter. The Man, (and no I can't remember his name or his looks if someone wants to confirm my story) did explain the "Common Areas" and he spoke of the Grass Cutting, Fences, Monument Upkeep, etc. The Fences were reported to be 50-50. We had no problem with that.
What I do have a problem with is that the affected Homeowners' just had the tables turned on them. They are now to take on a responsibility which the HOA failed. When I say failed all you have to do is look at the current condition of the fences. Its pretty obvious. If we all think that this is going to run smoothly and that fences will be repaired as needed and be stained to look uniform we are wrong and the HOA is not being realistic. Those individuals are now going to have another expense forced upon them due to the fact that the HOA and BOD want to save money. When I say "I mean no disrespect" it is said in knowing that those homeowners now have that burden placed upon them. Some will not be able to appease the HOA as they are expecting them too.
When I read in the newletter that the BOD and the Fence Committee could not decide what the definition of "maintenance" was I knew that someone was going to get the shaft.
I may bit... ,moan, and groan but all I want is an appealling neighborhood . I could care less about the SportsPark, Swimming Pools, Annual Picnics, Etc. Sure those ammenities help sell homes but when you drive into a subdivision don't you look at entrances, fences,and landscaping first?.

Anyway maybe we will hear from some of the neighbors who now have this burden placed upon them .

Last edited by wellguy; 07-10-2009 at 08:41 PM..

Old 07-10-2009, 08:59 PM

276 posts, read 970,203 times
Think about this...

The VWOA sent me a letter stating that I needed to replace rotten boards on my fence that is visible from the street.

Should all residents split that cost with me 50/50?

Old 07-10-2009, 09:06 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,825,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot Owl View Post
Think about this...

The VWOA sent me a letter stating that I needed to replace rotten boards on my fence that is visible from the street.

Yes, if the boards are facing a common area and that was one of the bylaws. It should come out of the dues.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:06 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,670,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot Owl View Post
Think about this...

Read the Westcreek CCR and then ask your question again.

Hint: Post #1224 gives you a shortcut.

It is also stated here in the Bylaws of Westcreek (Article XII, Assessments & Liens 12.01 (b).

http://villagesofwestcreek.com/Documents/bylaws.pdf

Last edited by Steel Man; 07-10-2009 at 09:22 PM..

Old 07-10-2009, 09:33 PM

Hoot Owl -No we /they shouldn't. I wouldn't ask or expect anyone to pay for maintenace on my property. Remember those fences have been Common Fences (50-50). Just like the fences between you and your neighbor. In this case their "neighbor" is the HOA. This includes me and I have no problems with my dues going towards the upkeep of those fences.

I have been here long enough to know that this has always been a sore spot with alot of residents. It even came up at the last Annual Meeting and those before that. So with that said there are some that will agree with this new rule and others that won't.

Maybe I have failed to make myself clear. The BOD /HOA /Fence Committe should not have made that change. They did because they can. Haven't they proved that they know how to properly spend our money? You don't set a standard for years and then suddenly change it in your favor. You don't allow something to go to pot and then say "hey although we should have done something sooner we will just wipe our hands of it and totally pass the buck" I assure you they will be challenged on this decision.

I guess we should sit back and see how they will correctly spend the $48,000.00 that was budgeted for the Maintenance of Major Street Fences (2009 Budget 8320.09)

Thank you Steel Man for pointing out the Bylaws and to you firstclassflyer for your input.

Last edited by wellguy; 07-10-2009 at 10:07 PM..

Old 07-10-2009, 11:00 PM

86 posts, read 174,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellguy View Post
Hoot Owl -No we /they shouldn't. I wouldn't ask or expect anyone to pay for maintenace on my property. Remember those fences have been Common Fences (50-50). Just like the fences between you and your neighbor. In this case their "neighbor" is the HOA. This includes me and I have no problems with my dues going towards the upkeep of those fences.

I have been here long enough to know that this has always been a sore spot with alot of residents. It even came up at the last Annual Meeting and those before that. So with that said there are some that will agree with this new rule and others that won't.

Maybe I have failed to make myself clear. The BOD /HOA /Fence Committe should not have made that change. They did because they can. Haven't they proved that they know how to properly spend our money? You don't set a standard for years and then suddenly change it in your favor. You don't allow something to go to pot and then say "hey although we should have done something sooner we will just wipe our hands of it and totally pass the buck" I assure you they will be challenged on this decision.

I guess we should sit back and see how they will correctly spend the $48,000.00 that was budgeted for the Maintenance of Major Street Fences (2009 Budget 8320.09)

Thank you Steel Man for pointing out the Bylaws and to you firstclassflyer for your input.
In defense of the Board. CC&R's were developed by developers, then builders. HOA Board members don't just change stuff for the ## of it. All board members are required to be trained by CAI - and all decisions are also passed thru to the lawyer. All HOA staff, volunteers and board members that make decisions;( despite what you all claim to know everything about being on the BOD) have to do what is within the guidance and regulations given. The lawyer and CAI within the state of Texas dictates what can be changed and what can not. All decisions have to be made for the best interest of all the communitity. As seen in the past; if a board member is on the board with a personal agenda; they will not continue their term. I would challenge you to get the facts by taking CAI classes and educating yourself on these subject matters. Just like the military; rules and regulations take an act of congress to change if it is to be done legally and legitimately. HOA is set up in a similar fashion. Don't criticize a system you have not served or educated yourself on. Praise the members that put in so many hours; and still frustrated with the system; because things have to go through a legal process to change. It would be nice if we all could wave a wand and things will change to suit us all. Like government, the current board is rectifying ancient regulations to meet current needs. That does not happen over night - the costs today are not of yester-year. In the short time I have visited this Forum; so much energy goes into the same negativity; tearing down people that are trying to better your community. The fence project and meetings have been going on for years - yet no one attends any of these issues when brought to the public. Come on - quit the dooms day forum - let's put all that energy into doing what we can with what we are given......Get a life and do something positive!

Old 07-11-2009, 04:37 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,456,953 times
Having lived here since 1994 (overseas a portion of that time but still owning and responsible for the upkeep of this home) I can honestly say that for me, the turning point in the way things were run came when they moved to their "own" HOA vs having it managed by that company that ran it for the first few years. That is when the major changes in how monies were spent began to become an issue. Of course that is just one opinion, but having attended meetings, served on the ARC committee and the Reviews Board, I think that I have a LITTLE more insight than some others. I forsee a LOT of $$$ being spent fighting legal costs for trying to change the CC&R's midstream. Since it controls what we can and can not due because it is legal and binding and we agree to it at the time of closing on our home purchase, then it should be just as legal and binding when the responsibilities of the HOA are being shirked.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:42 AM

CH1960 -Don't sit there and tell me to get a life. I've got a pretty damn good one. To appease you I will end my converstions about the BOD and HOA and the **** poor decisions they have made. I know how the system works with the Bylaws, CCR's, Lawyer's decision and their input and approval, etc. By the way I don't know everything as you have stated. Most of this crap is just plain Common Sense and I assure you if you don't already know our interests as Homeowners are not always looked at. I'm certain you don't agree since you appear to be part of the system.

Please do me a BIG FAVOR. Don't bring the Military into this (I also served but bringing it up is not necessary and to be practical it has no bearing here ) You stated those in the Military are accustomed to following rules and regulations. I agree with that 100%. So are Civilians. But that in no way means that it continues to be part of their everyday life. I live next door the a USAF Captain who has let his house and yard go to pot. So I assume that he is on the ball when it comes to the rules and regulations.? He could care less about this community since he'll be packed up and out of here soon. I can show you several more of the same here in Westcreek. I can also show you Civilians that are in the same boat.

You can think what you want of me but get this much straight. I will continue to live here while you too may someday pack up and leave. This is true of many other Family's here. So you sit there and tell me who has more of an interest in this community.

Don't think I have lack respect for those in the Military. I respect those that have served, those that are serving, and those that wil serve. My Father was a Captain (0-6) in the USCG, My Grandfather was a Commander in the USN. So I know a lot more than you give me credit for.

Forget about the fence situation as we both have different opinions which I can live with.

There is no need to get into a pissing contest.

Last edited by wellguy; 07-11-2009 at 08:59 AM..

Old 07-11-2009, 09:03 AM

4,263 posts, read 10,825,866 times
I wanna see the pissing contest...on with it!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio