Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2017, 04:18 PM

4,840 posts, read 3,267,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
If Sequin does get the shopping center and wal-mart, you can certainly count on growth at a faster rate with worse traffic. Kinda like the whole "if you build it, they will come" statement.
My concern is that anything worth having has already moved into Creekside. I think about the only thing you can't get at that place now is a mall proper. I guess we'll see what they can come up with in the way of tenants.

Edited to say now that I think about it, a big old Creekside like affair right on I-10 might sway folks to move here instead of NB. Don't believe the WalMart will do anything as to 'growth'.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2017, 08:54 AM

2 posts, read 3,757 times
Thank you all for answering. My main concern is safety....people don't actually walk around with guns, are they? 😏 Sorry if this is stupid question....

Old 03-07-2017, 09:33 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,830,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathi001 View Post
Thank you all for answering. My main concern is safety....people don't actually walk around with guns, are they? 😏 Sorry if this is stupid question....
Many of us do, yes. Why would that concern you? Those that do so legally have been investigated and checked via the FBI - to the extent that we can purchase a firearm without undergoing a call-in when doing so. That means we have to have a background "cleaner" than some LEO's. It also means that criminals should be thinking twice before doing something in our presence that would endanger the life of another.

When you're standing in a line, shopping in a store, or just going about your day-to-day life, those of us who are legally armed are serving as "silent sentinels", prepared to protect ourselves and our families if need be. It tends to make the criminal element a bit more reluctant to engage in criminal acts. We've had that right for over 21 years now, and there's been no "blood in the streets" - in fact, it's been statistically shown that those that are licensed to carry are significantly less likely to break the law.

Old 03-07-2017, 10:00 AM

9,850 posts, read 13,692,217 times
Seguin and New Braunfels, for that matter, are still country. New Braunfels, more so, is becoming more of a suburb but I don't think much has changed (or will with these new retail additions) for Seguin in regard to the way of life. You'll see more good ole boys than newer families relocating for employment or just pleasure. Fwiw, going to Texas Lutheran, I never once saw a gun on someone who was not a licensed police officer.

Old 03-07-2017, 05:29 PM

4,840 posts, read 3,267,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Seguin and New Braunfels, for that matter, are still country. New Braunfels, more so, is becoming more of a suburb but I don't think much has changed (or will with these new retail additions) for Seguin in regard to the way of life. You'll see more good ole boys than newer families relocating for employment or just pleasure. Fwiw, going to Texas Lutheran, I never once saw a gun on someone who was not a licensed police officer.
We used to live in 'old town' Seguin, where the area is good or 'not so good' from street to street, even block to block. We never had any problems, but incidents were getting closer to home and more frequent... and we weren't far removed from known trouble areas to begin with. I hear people talk about Seguin being a crime infested gang haven, but I don't think it's any more so here than any other similarly sized city with a generally low-wage job base.

Schools and lack of housing options (new construction) has hurt. They're selling what they're building here, both lower-end tract developments south of town and higher-end developments north of town. Problem is they're several years behind New Braunfels.

Old 03-08-2017, 05:02 AM

6,705 posts, read 8,774,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathi001 View Post
Thank you all for answering. My main concern is safety....people don't actually walk around with guns, are they? �� Sorry if this is stupid question....
It is not a stupid question. Some are packing in Texas...both legally and illegally. However, since open carry of handguns was made legal in Texas...I have seen very few actually take advantage of this option and my guess is that the percentage of Texans that legally carry (open or concealed) is actually pretty small.

To give you an idea of how many actually legally carry...here are some percentages I made a couple years back on here in another thread...I am sure they haven't changed much since then.

Quote:
Among Texas counties, Harris has the most concealed handgun licenses with 30,972. Tarrant follows up with 15,129, Dallas has 12,042 and Bexar has 11,622 licenses
That means less than 1% of the Bexar county population have CHL. (Pop of Bexar is 1.8 million as of 2013)

Quote:
More than 825,000 Texans hold active concealed handgun licenses, which now allow them to carry their handguns openly.
That means roughly 3% in the state of Texas have CHL if the population of Texas stands at 26.96 million.
Source below:

9 things to know about Texas' new open carry law that takes effect on New Year's Day - San Antonio Express-News

Old 03-08-2017, 07:54 AM

Yeah - those numbers are a bit off now.....

In 2016 alone, 369,117 licenses were issued, 1,534 were denied, 1,623 suspended and 982 revoked statewide. No breakdown is provided for reasons of suspension/revocation. As of the end of 2016, there are 1,150,754 licensed gun carriers in this state. You can get a full breakdown here:

https://www.dps.texas.gov/rsd/chl/re...mographics.htm

The US Census puts the 2016 population of Texas at 27,862,596, so the percentage carrying has ticked up a bit to a tad over 4% - still not a WHOLE lot of folks.

By comparison, there are 77,041 licensed Peace Officers in the state. Source:

https://www.tcole.texas.gov/content/current-statistics

That means there are about 15 licensed carriers to every LEO in the state. That's a pretty good "back-up" for a cop in trouble, or someone facing a life-threatening criminal act.

Old 03-08-2017, 08:59 AM

Bexar county had a huge increase in 2016 for CHL being issued. Just a bit over 19K people got one in 2016 according to the link you posted TRN. That is crazy because just over a year ago, there was only ~11K CHL holders in Bexar.

Old 03-08-2017, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
Bexar county had a huge increase in 2016 for CHL being issued. Just a bit over 19K people got one in 2016 according to the link you posted TRN. That is crazy because just over a year ago, there was only ~11K CHL holders in Bexar.
Not all THAT surprising, seeing the huge spike in crime seen city-wide. Folks are coming to realize that the only one that can stop a crime being committed is themselves - the cops will simply be there to write the report, and try to catch the criminal later. Not their fault - it's the nature of the beast that LEO's are reactive. Folks are fed up with crime - and they're going to do what it takes to reduce its' impact on their lives.

Old 03-08-2017, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Not all THAT surprising, seeing the huge spike in crime seen city-wide. Folks are coming to realize that the only one that can stop a crime being committed is themselves - the cops will simply be there to write the report, and try to catch the criminal later. Not their fault - it's the nature of the beast that LEO's are reactive. Folks are fed up with crime - and they're going to do what it takes to reduce its' impact on their lives.

I was not aware we had a huge spike in crime. If that is true, probably has to do with the growing population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio