Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 11:53 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,992,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
The Castle Doctrine was extended to include protection of your vehicle in 2007. Six years ago. The lowlifes need to update their handbooks to reflect the changes. I don't think they read the memo.
Technically it was the Texas Motorist Protection Act of 2009 (HB 1815), which allows citizens without a concealed carry license to carry a handgun "inside of or directly en route to a motor vehicle that is owned by the person or under the person's control", providing:
  • the handgun remains concealed
  • the person is not engaged in criminal activity, other than a Class C misdemeanor that is a violation of a law or ordinance regulating traffic
  • the person is not prohibited by law from possessing a firearm
  • the person is not a member of a criminal street gang

The incident in Stone Oak is covered by section 9.42 of the Texas Penal Code, Deadly Force To Protect Property.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:54 AM

77 posts, read 162,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post
the Grim Reaper has no place in the attempted theft of a Toyota.
Oh how wrong this statement is. Especially in this great state of Texas. Dont come on to someones property ready to steal unless you are ready to die. I think the point all of you human soul lovers are missing is that these idiots are the ones looking for trouble. They know the risks involved. Hell, I know some of them do it just for the rush.

If you skydive, you know there is a risk of death if your chute fails to open. Drink and drive and you know there is a chance you may not make it home, or worse, kill someone innocent. Come on to someones property and try to steal or break in....well, you get the idea.

Point is, if you actively engage in an activity that you know could have mortal consequences, dont be surprised if the Grim Reaper comes along.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:14 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,036,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
And I don't believe in the death penalty for stealing a car.
Then it's safe to assume you won't be attempting to steal a car in TX, because unfortunately, or fortunately, depending upon your perspective, it's a possible sentence.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:21 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Quote:
I think it's horrible to kill someone over a car.

I like my cars, but if someone was stealing one of them, I'd stay inside and call the police. My cars are insured. I have guns for home defense, but those are to protect my kids if someone breaks in while we're home. I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I killed someone because they were stealing my car. If my life was in danger, I would be able to deal with it, but I'm not going to kill someone and risk my soul over a Toyota.

He's also lucky that the thieves didn't have a gun and didn't shoot him instead.
It is exactly this kind of attitude that encourages criminals to commit these kinds of crimes. They are hoping the people they steal from think like this.

For most people their car is the second most valuable thing that they own, after their house. They have every right to defend it and their home. It astounds me that you are perfectly comfortable allowing some thug to walk up and take it away from you.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:25 PM

2,295 posts, read 2,369,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post
Defending your property is all well and good. But the Grim Reaper has no place in the attempted theft of a Toyota.
I would pass that piece of advice on to any aspiring criminals out there that are thinking of committing a vehicle theft, burglary, armed robbery, home invasion, or other crime, especially at 2 am.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:40 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,409,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
It is exactly this kind of attitude that encourages criminals to commit these kinds of crimes. They are hoping the people they steal from think like this.

For most people their car is the second most valuable thing that they own, after their house. They have every right to defend it and their home. It astounds me that you are perfectly comfortable allowing some thug to walk up and take it away from you.
Exactly! Rep points

Old 01-16-2013, 12:51 PM

437 posts, read 638,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post

That is an unfair way of judging someone's opinion. I can understand why one would indeed shoot to kill if someone broke into their vehicle. However, I was never brought up to believe that killing someone over materialism is ok.

You may have it in you. But I don't, and you should respect that. I would kill if my house was broken into at night or if my family was in danger. Auto insurance can replace a car.

Old 01-16-2013, 01:03 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,036,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post

Guys who act all macho and girls who are more masculine are the exact types to advocate taking of a life because it is "in the law".
Maybe if more men in this country acted like MEN, women wouldn't feel the need to have to protect themselves and their children and MEN would actually be working and making an honest living and not out stealing that which doesn't belong to them.

Men are supposed to act macho, hello they're MEN.

Old 01-16-2013, 01:08 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,992,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Maybe if more men in this country acted like MEN, women wouldn't feel the need to have to protect themselves and their children and MEN would actually be working and making an honest living and not out stealing that which doesn't belong to them.

Men are supposed to act macho, hello they're MEN.

Old 01-16-2013, 01:16 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,429,021 times
Quote:
I think it's horrible to kill someone over a car.

I like my cars, but if someone was stealing one of them, I'd stay inside and call the police. My cars are insured. I have guns for home defense, but those are to protect my kids if someone breaks in while we're home. I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I killed someone because they were stealing my car. If my life was in danger, I would be able to deal with it, but I'm not going to kill someone and risk my soul over a Toyota.

He's also lucky that the thieves didn't have a gun and didn't shoot him instead.
It's not about a car. My opinion is that if these thieves get away with the car, it's going to be someone's house next, possibly endangering others. And who knows? If they were gutsy enough to try the car, who's to say they weren't going to try the house while they were there?

He did our population a favor. One was taken off the street and maybe the other will realize that it wasn't worth it and change his ways. And maybe others that they know (because you know they ran with a similar crowd) will realize that the end result may not work out positively.

I know the neighbors of this property owner VERY well, and they're sure glad he reacted like he did. They feel safer knowing that thieves now know that folks on this street won't take kindly to their type.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio