Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 04:15 PM

898 posts, read 2,894,412 times

Advertisements

I was watching Saturday Night Fever, and I wondered, did San Antonio have a big popular disco club in the 70's?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 01:08 PM

30 posts, read 160,269 times
Burgundy Woods off 410 around the Starcrest area access rd. was one of the most popular. Hauellijah Hollywood across from San Francisco Steakhouse was another. There was one that was smaller but the dance floor looked like the one inthe movie you are referring to, it had the light up squares and the club itself reminded me of the movie but the name escapes me but it was located at San Pedro and Rector area by Central Park mall maybe someone on here can chime in on the name. If I remember the Last National Bank which is now a strip joint was somewhat disco which is located at 410 and Perrin Beitell access rd. There were more in town but can't remember all the names but remember disco was pretty big in S.A. as were leisure suits w/big collars and silk shirts etc.

Old 01-20-2013, 01:40 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,271,468 times
When I was 11 there was place on Wurzbach called the Grand Hotel that opened for kids on Saturday mornings. Since they played disco at 10 am I assume they did at 10 pm. I'd love to hear what it was like at night. Disco was certainly popular with the SA middle school crowd even on fashion. I can tell you I looked pretty silly in my disco scarf and Yo-yos when I started 7th grade in San Angelo the next year. Traded to jeans and ropers pretty fast .

Last edited by TXsurburbanmom; 01-20-2013 at 02:05 PM..

Old 01-20-2013, 04:16 PM

interesting stuff, thanks for the replies

Old 01-22-2013, 12:11 PM

159 posts, read 784,696 times
Quote:
If I remember the Last National Bank which is now a strip joint was somewhat disco which is located at 410 and Perrin Beitell access rd.
So the Wild Zebra was a disco club called The Last National Bank? Lol, was it ever a bank?

Quote:
I can tell you I looked pretty silly in my disco scarf and Yo-yos when I started 7th grade in San Angelo the next year.
Stop, just stop! You had me at disco scarf. Oh I wish you had a pic to share.

Id like to hear more about these disco times in SA, pictures of the fashion would be even better.

Old 04-13-2014, 08:38 PM

1 posts, read 12,460 times
The club was the Nutcracker behind Central Park Mall. Made them all back in the day!

Old 04-17-2014, 09:54 AM

97 posts, read 151,777 times
places like -- the frisky a-go-go, jacks inferno, the ***** cat, the purple onion, downtown-- the rabbit habit, the god-father, the town pump, the chandelier/the lamp port, close to town among others

Old 05-07-2014, 12:13 PM

9 posts, read 27,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony78201 View Post
I was watching Saturday Night Fever, and I wondered, did San Antonio have a big popular disco club in the 70's?
Dont know if it was a big popular one but what comes to mind is Disco Inferno. It was located on the corner of Zarzamora and Hearne ave in the mid to late 70s. It had the lighted floor and disco ball/ lights. There was a dress code and my attire was dress slacks(the kind with no belt loops) or bell bottom pants, satin print shirt and thick healed shoes. Disco moves were evolving at that time you would pick these up from the club or from watching American Band stand. This was early, then later on by 1980 it got very bad, they would let anyone in under age too. Anyone remember this place? after disco died it turned to Arturos and today its the Michocana meat market. If you look on google maps up front in the parking lot there's a sign that says "Hoy Bailamos" with a picture of a Disco ball.

Old 05-07-2014, 02:09 PM

358 posts, read 577,179 times
Not the WZ, the strip joint he is referring to is on the inside access road of 410.

Old 07-21-2015, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullit View Post
Dont know if it was a big popular one but what comes to mind is Disco Inferno. It was located on the corner of Zarzamora and Hearne ave in the mid to late 70s. It had the lighted floor and disco ball/ lights. There was a dress code and my attire was dress slacks(the kind with no belt loops) or bell bottom pants, satin print shirt and thick healed shoes. Disco moves were evolving at that time you would pick these up from the club or from watching American Band stand. This was early, then later on by 1980 it got very bad, they would let anyone in under age too. Anyone remember this place? after disco died it turned to Arturos and today its the Michocana meat market. If you look on google maps up front in the parking lot there's a sign that says "Hoy Bailamos" with a picture of a Disco ball.
haha, the sign is still there!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio