Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 08:53 AM

47 posts, read 228,405 times

Advertisements

yes i understand why you wrote what you wrote but let's drop the damn subject.

Old 10-23-2007, 07:53 PM

36 posts, read 146,705 times
Default Spanish... in San Antonio

There is far less Spanish spoken here than in Granada Hills California where I am from.

However, as in all job markets, speaking SPanish is helpful. The ads don't stress it like in LA where unless you DO speak Spanish and English you can't get a job.

Old 10-23-2007, 10:01 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,820,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valleygalbabs View Post
However, as in all job markets, speaking SPanish is helpful. The ads don't stress it like in LA where unless you DO speak Spanish and English you can't get a job.
A friend of ours trained as a medical assistant but couldn't get a job because she wasn't bilingual.

Old 10-24-2007, 06:03 AM

41 posts, read 53,107 times
valleygalbabs,
I'm finding quite the opposite... maybe it depends on what side of town you are on. I can only speak for the far west side where I live. Yesterday I went to HEB Plus and WalMart-- both at Potranco/1604. All I hear is Spanish in these stores!! I stopped and looked around and for the first time, really realized that I am the minority here. My son-in-law can't get a job with a college degree because he cannot speak Spanish. He is fully-qualified and was told to forget it because a minority who speaks Spanish will beat him out of jobs unless he has serious "connections" to help him.
My daughter can't rise above an entry-level postition because she cannot speak Spanish (she has a degree, also, and took a $4 hr pay-cut from her job in New Jersey). Except for the Time Warner technician, I have had no other English-speaking workers in my home. I'm talking about painters, electricians, the landscaper's helpers, etc.

Old 10-24-2007, 08:53 AM

1,805 posts, read 4,776,315 times
San Antonio is nicknamed "Military City USA".
We have five military bases here; three Air Force and one US Army. We also have two major military or vets hospitals.
In addition to all this, it is a huge retirment mecca for vets.
Yeah, we speak a lot of English here.

Old 10-24-2007, 09:06 AM

1,805 posts, read 4,776,315 times
Something else I thought of, didn't see it in any other posts....
Most of the Hispanic families here are second and third generation or even earlier. It's not like Southern California where you find a high number of illegal aliens.
They are very proud and fine people who were the true instruments of the beautiful culture of San Antonio. I believe, merely through observation, that they are glad to have 'Military City' here (helps the economy and provides stability) and that they do not have any sense of one culture being better than another. The overwhelming majority of them are bilingual. This is not to say we don't have ANY trouble with gangs, language issues, crime related to socio-economic barriers.... but not NEARLY as much as most other large cities I've lived in or around.
I rented a car a few weeks ago to travel to Houston. A hispanic employee picked me up to take me to the rental location for paperwork. Somehow we got to talking about all the 'uproar' in the last couple years regarding the immigrants and illegal immigrants. He was very angry - his family had emigrated here when he was a child - and he despises those that are looking for a handout and that in one fashion or another, refuse to assimilate into the community they've chosen to call home. His mother, father and grandparents were very strict with he and his siblings as it pertained to learning, speaking English, finding ways to care for themselves rather than look to someone or something for a handout. He was a fine man, very intelligent and interesting to talk to.

Old 10-24-2007, 09:29 AM

1,241 posts, read 4,335,117 times
Well said Pops.

Old 10-24-2007, 12:44 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,369,172 times
Can you get along without speaking Spanish here. YES! I've been here 150 years and only speak French (always getting my "el's and la's) confused.

Would it be to your advantage to learn Spanish here eventually? again...YES!
I'm in the process....not doing so well. I actually had a friend tell me NOT to try to pronounce a "Spanish" word ever again! Total gringo here.

BUT...I have to agree that while employers cannot legally discriminate, many get buy with saying "Spanish speaking preferred" or "bilingual preferred". It doesn't take rocket science to figure out that if you speak Spanish, that you have a huge advantage.

I've notice also that my cell phone directory assistance has changed it's 411 message. It used to just say, "if you prefer English just stay on the line"...and directs Spanish preference to press "2". Now it tells you to
"Press 1 for English" and "Press 2 for Spanish".

While this country does have English as it's primary language, we're coming closer to having bi-lingual states along the boarders. Not sure why we should fight it, as long as EVERYONE is bi-lingual. (meaning residents!)

Old 10-24-2007, 02:30 PM

178 posts, read 788,478 times
You can get along fine in San Antonio without knowing Spanish. I'm of Mexican/Texican decent grew up in the inner city and I can't speak Spanish, now living here in Dallas well that's another story.

Old 10-27-2007, 01:22 PM

70 posts, read 441,001 times
Na there are alot of Bi-linguals but you can speak englih and still get your plans done .I mean we are in USA still even if 60% of people in SA are Hispanic but if you do speak spanish try useing it on some people cause it's funny to see there faces if they have no clue what your saying as a joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio