Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 02:15 PM

14 posts, read 34,603 times

Advertisements

We are looking into buying a home and are trying to narrow it down.

We are considering Stone Oak, (maybe even the area North of 1604 and 281 near the JW golf course) and Schertz but also considering even Alamo Heights, Shavano Park. Hollywood Park and maybe Converse.

I know this is a lot of areas and we are trying to narrow it down.

Safe area and good schools are priorities of course since we have a daughter.

I work basically in Converse ( husband works from home) so we do not want to be too much farther west.
Our pediatrician is in Stone Oak and prefer not to switch her dr.

What are the pros and cons about these areas? How about traffic and any other advice thoughts on these areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 03:53 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,271,468 times
Do you prefer newer or older homes? What is your price range?

Stone Oak is mostly newer homes from high $100s to millions. Schools are excellent which is why we moved out here from another part of SA. Shopping is great and there are plenty of entertainment options. Lots of churches and activities for kids.

Traffic could be an issue. I'd make the drive during rush hour to see how you feel about doing it every day. Right now there is road construction but once done it will improve the flow. A lot of people live out this way so there will always be some traffic even when it get better.

A lot of people refer to SO as cookie cutter. Generally the homes in each neighborhood are of a similar age and often only one or two builders so it is not a mix. Most are 2 story to take advantage of space as yards normally run small. Some are gated but several are not. Some have pools/tennis courts but not all.

If that doesn't sound like an area you'd be happy in you might want to look elsewhere. I'll let someone who lives in the other area tell you the pros and cons of their area. I'm sure you'll get plenty of feedback about why you shouldn't move to SO. Some people love it (me) and others hate it with a vengeance. I think it really depends on your personal preferences.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:00 AM

14 posts, read 34,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeel View Post
Do you prefer newer or older homes? What is your price range?

Stone Oak is mostly newer homes from high $100s to millions. Schools are excellent which is why we moved out here from another part of SA. Shopping is great and there are plenty of entertainment options. Lots of churches and activities for kids.

Traffic could be an issue. I'd make the drive during rush hour to see how you feel about doing it every day. Right now there is road construction but once done it will improve the flow. A lot of people live out this way so there will always be some traffic even when it get better.

A lot of people refer to SO as cookie cutter. Generally the homes in each neighborhood are of a similar age and often only one or two builders so it is not a mix. Most are 2 story to take advantage of space as yards normally run small. Some are gated but several are not. Some have pools/tennis courts but not all.

If that doesn't sound like an area you'd be happy in you might want to look elsewhere. I'll let someone who lives in the other area tell you the pros and cons of their area. I'm sure you'll get plenty of feedback about why you shouldn't move to SO. Some people love it (me) and others hate it with a vengeance. I think it really depends on your personal preferences.

I do like older homes charm but love newer homes flow / floor plans more open. My husband prefers 1 story homes which usually means older homes from what I see around San Antonio. I am open to 1 or 2 stories. Our price range is about 150-200K. I do prefer not too cookie cutter but some of the amenities in the newer areas ( pools and playgrounds with in the subdivision) are better in my opinion unless I can afford my own pool but in this area I doubt it!!! LOL

I am very concerned about schools, and would like to be near shopping.

Traffic is pretty bad there. I am at work before 7AM and usually not too much traffic on the road at that time.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:41 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,874,074 times
I could very well be wrong but passing through, and at times into, both it seems to me Schertz is more sleepy while Stone Oak is not. This has to do with how near shopping is. It seems in Stone Oak there are choices everywhere but in Schertz you have to drive and get onto 35 for anything.

Which brings me to traffic which might be horrible in both at times but Schertz deals with national and international traffic (so accidents that shut down the expressway happen with greater frequency) while Stone Oak has plenty of local traffic. While there are projects around the roads leading to Stone Oak that will alleviate this I do not believe there is anything on the table for making 35 easier to travel other than the new toll road with the higher speed limit but I don't think that is going to really help...

Schertz will have older, one-story homes.

Old 04-09-2013, 12:04 PM

862 posts, read 865,230 times
Schertz is affordable, middle class families and people seem to enjoy living there. Homes are in your price range. Rapid growth in that area makes it an unknown in the long-term.

Shavano Park and Hollywood Park are established communities with some new and mostly older homes on large lots. Excellent schools, safe and quiet. Overall very stable. Mostly older homes on big lots. Hollywood Park is right across 1604 from Stone Oak so all of the conveniences of SO without the traffic.

Not much to say about 281 near the JW golf course other than that would be a really long commute to Converse through some of the worst traffic in the city.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:50 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,552,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuero View Post
Not much to say about 281 near the JW golf course other than that would be a really long commute to Converse through some of the worst traffic in the city.
True. I live in SO, but work on that side. Traffic on 281 N still backs up, and that is the primary way into that area. However, if you were commuting to Converse, you would probably take Bulverde Rd to 1604. Evans Rd also goes all the way over to 35, but would be a slower ride.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:15 PM

448 posts, read 812,579 times
You might consider living in the residential areas on the Northeast side of town. O'Conner, Judson, etc. That would be not too far of a drive to Converse and not far from your pediatrician either. Also they have homes in your price range, some of them 1 story. Not sure about the schools though.

Alamo Heights, Shavano Park, and Hollywood Park are all way out of your price range. Most of Stone Oak and TPC is as well. Anything you find in that area for that price range is *definitely* going to be a cookie cutter house.

Also, for working in Converse, you don't want to live north of 1604 unless you really like commuting. I'd look for homes between 281/I-35 and 1604/410. Some older homes (but not too old), definitely more in your price range, and all of them are closer to Converse.

You could also live in Converse although I'm not familiar with their local schools.

Old 04-10-2013, 07:18 AM

340 posts, read 586,041 times
Here's a somewhat recent (within the last year or so) picture of Stone Oak.

Old 04-10-2013, 07:35 AM

1,361 posts, read 2,271,468 times
That's 281/1604 not SO Pkwy. The OP would be driving through there but SO is behind all those stores and back toward those hills. If you are showing her the traffic situation the photo makes sense (except the ramp and exit are open now and flow could be the same or better depending on construction) but the houses in SO aren't along the 1604 access road.

Old 04-10-2013, 07:55 AM

340 posts, read 586,041 times
I meant "Stone Oak area", that's my fault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio