Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2013, 09:46 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,559,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by geargrinder70 View Post
. The bible is useless?
As a source of law, it is useless in this country which was founded upon the separation of church and state. It has NO place in our laws. A person may choose to use their interpretation of the bible to inform how they live their lives (provided that does not impact others in a negative manner). But the Bible must NOT be used to inform laws any more than the Koran, the teachings of Buddha, or any other religious beliefs.

Quote:
So why do you fear what you do not believe in? .
I fear the manner in which people use such teachings - to deny others their basic human rights. I don't fear the Bible (and I know it well, I was raised with it and I don't dismiss it, I am a Christian by birth and belief), but I do fear the people who use it to harm others. Still, that's not the point. The very basis of this country was to avoid the oppression of one religion on another. You can't use the bible to create US law.

Old 09-08-2013, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spursrock View Post
I never minded the gay community, never paid much attention to them, even though I believe against it. But all this crying and whining from the gays has really made me take a stand against them.

Change this to: "But all this crying and whining from the blacks has really made me take a stand against them"
Is this what you would have said 50 years ago when Dr King gave his speech?

Or to: "But all this crying and whining from the Calvinists has really made me take a stand against them" from 250 years ago when they left Europe to build a new country in America, free from religious oppression.

Old 09-08-2013, 10:02 AM

243 posts, read 333,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
As a source of law, it is useless in this country which was founded upon the separation of church and state. It has NO place in our laws. A person may choose to use their interpretation of the bible to inform how they live their lives (provided that does not impact others in a negative manner). But the Bible must NOT be used to inform laws any more than the Koran, the teachings of Buddha, or any other religious beliefs.

I fear the manner in which people use such teachings - to deny others their basic human rights. I don't fear the Bible (and I know it well, I was raised with it and I don't dismiss it, I am a Christian by birth and belief), but I do fear the people who use it to harm others. Still, that's not the point. The very basis of this country was to avoid the oppression of one religion on another. You can't use the bible to create US law.
Chaka I can't disagree with most of what you just said because I believe you to be sincere, but I do not disapprove of this ordinance on religious grounds. I disapprove because it is just bad law which will not solve a problem only create more.

Old 09-08-2013, 11:28 AM

Quote:
I disapprove because it is just bad law which will not solve a problem only create more.
Then you also disapprove of the law which protects people from discrimination based on race, religion, or disability.

Old 09-08-2013, 12:13 PM

243 posts, read 333,893 times
Quote:
Then you also disapprove of the law which protects people from discrimination based on race, religion, or disability.
As they are misused in a lot of ways today absolutely. The way they have been perverted for political and financial gain is not what they were intended to do now were they?

Old 09-08-2013, 12:53 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,872,913 times
40 years ago??

Yes, 40 years ago the same "working-class Democrats" were protesting Civil Rights. The same type of people who are trying to promote LGBT rights today. They are all of the same type and completely clueless.

Old 09-08-2013, 12:57 PM

Quote:

The separation of church and state is based on PROTECTING the people of the Christian faith.

Old 09-08-2013, 01:00 PM

People who hate God have no right to force their morality upon those who love God.

Old 09-08-2013, 03:55 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,007,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
It's a funny thing about the free market that we have today (for the time being); if businesses were left to their own devices to not serve folks, they'd PROBABLY go out of business quickly. Green is the only color that matters in business. By forcing more and more and more regulations on people, you're taking more and more and more of our freedoms.

Should the city counsel be able to ban gay people from serving? Absolutely not. Never in any fashion can they, as a public service, do that. But should they be able to keep someone from serving that may have an opinion about something? Absolutely not!! Because who's to say if that opinion is right? Or even true? In today's political world it seems like the person that can throw enough dirt wins.

Let the people vote. You think Chan will be reelected? Probably not.

Those that want to regulate everything basically think that the public is stupid and doesn't have the ability to know right from wrong. If there's a racist or bigot running for public office and it's known, they're not going to get elected.

You probably say things that others would think is discriminatory, though you may not mean it. Is someone then allowed to bar you from something based on that?

It's a slippery slope.

Those that want to regulate everything basically think that the public is stupid and doesn't have the ability to know right from wrong. If there's a racist or bigot running for public office and it's known, they're not going to get elected.

Are you so sure about that? She represents a very conservative district. I think that plenty of racists/bigots have been elected in Texas and other parts. We just don't get to hear their comments like we heard Elisa Chan's comments.

[quote=kevcrawford;31267029]It's a funny thing about the free market that we have today (for the time being); if businesses were left to their own devices to not serve folks, they'd PROBABLY go out of business quickly. Green is the only color that matters in business. By forcing more and more and more regulations on people, you're taking more and more and more of our freedoms.

WRONG!!! Green is NOT the ONLY color in business. In the past, I've read about gay/lesbian couples who were asked to leave from SA restaurants when they displayed PDAs in those eateries. One of them was on the RiverWalk (wish that I could remember the name). Some of these business owners are prejudiced against gays and really don't have much of an issue in asking them to leave since there are other customers lined up to eat there. The same goes for housing, gym/club memberships, etc.

Old 09-08-2013, 04:02 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,007,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lollygagger428 View Post
Saw that it passed...even though the latest poll showed 60% of public was against it.

Which "poll" was that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio