Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 04:45 PM
tcs

218 posts, read 876,765 times

Advertisements

Saw this on mysanantonio.com
The Stones rolled: On June 3-4, 1975, Mick Jagger and the Rolling Stones played to sellout crowds. Over the years, the arena also hosted the likes of Led Zeppelin, Diana Ross, Metallica, Neal Young and Bon Jovi. Van Halen played the last concert in the arena on March 25, 1995.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 05:21 PM

472 posts, read 1,792,210 times
1985 AC/DC at the Hemisphere Arena with special guest Yngwie Malmsteen. The ticket was only $12.50. Amazing! I can remember the smoke rising when the lights came back on. Oh and that smell.

Did anyone see the Sex Pistols at Randy's Ballroom January 8, 1978? I have always wondered who went to that historic concert.

Old 01-10-2008, 06:44 PM

1,425 posts, read 3,314,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpuddle View Post
Cookie, I have had the good fortune of being able to hear some
of the very best - live.

OK don't get me goin, or I'll tell all the stories.

Now you mention the Holiday Inn at 410 and San Pedro.
I do believe that you meant to say the Ramada Inn.

I grew up in that neck of the woods, about a mile south,
close to Oblate.

Jimi that night played his Fender - with his tongue,
behind his back, and he also squirted lighter fluid
on it and threw a kitchen match at it while on his knees writhing
ecstatically.

Yeah, and the 2nd time I heard the Stones live was in 1969
at the basketball arena at SMU in Dallas.
The ill fated tour that terminated at the AltaMount SpeedWay.
Mick Taylor had replaced Brian Jones,
as he was murdered earlier that year.
What a show that was.
I hitchhiked up there.

Dylan at the Majestic?? I was there.
I believe it was Nov 1995.
I have the show recorded on cassette.
I really enjoyed the 5-6 numbers they did UnPlugged.
I was disappointed that he did not play the harmonica more,
but, hey, it's a live experience, different every night with Bobby.

"It's A Beautiful Day" ??
Yeah, that was at the HemisFair Arena.
I helped build that place in 1967. So what.
That night of "It's A Beautiful Day", if I remember correctly,
also included three other bigtime PsyChedelic bands.
Who was it?? huhnnhmmhh??

Maybe the Dead. Maybe Steve Miller Band.
Creedence??

Do you remember??

I heard so many at the Municipal, the Arena,
the PussyCat, the Mind's Eye, Sunken Gardens,
and of course, I do believe the very best were
in Austin, at the Vulcan Gas Company,
and then later at Armadillo World HeadQuarters.

tired of typing.

mud
You are right Mud... it was the Ramada Inn. You must have gone to Lee. Thanks for filling in the details in regards to Hendrix (I forgot some of those things until you mentioned them)... no wonder that was the best concert ever! The girls that hooked up with Jimi said that he was really high (obviously) and swinging on the flag poll at the hotel. The Mind's Eye was a cool place... strobe lights, psychodelic light shows on the walls, smoke (dry ice), sunken dance floor. My mother was so freaked out that she tried to grab me off the dance floor and drag me home. Heck, I was just having too much fun. For those who may be interested the Mind's Eye was on Austin Hwy (right?) and was across the street and in the vicinity of the shopping strip that now houses Earl Abel's. Do you know what was there before the club or after the club? Was the Pussycat downtown? In what building on what street? Did it have dancing girls on high pedestals dressed similar to the dancing girls on the Laugh-In television show? I did not see Beautiful Day but liked their sound and lyrics. I see that Paka was at that concert. Paka I saw Led Zepplin either at the Municipal or the Arena... CRS! Unfortunately, did not get up to Austin in those days... too young I guess. I wonder if anybody out there went to WOODSTOCK? I also saw Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young in Houston before the break. Neil Young and the old man song was my fav. We like your stories Mud... tell us more.

Old 01-10-2008, 07:00 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,448,856 times
. Paka I saw Led Zepplin either at the Municipal or the Arena... CRS!

HURT ME!!!! If ONLY!!!

We actually entered the lottery for the ticket drawing for their reunion tour in London last year...IF we had gotten selected (they had a signup website for the lottery and and IF your name was one of those selected for 2 ticket MAX for the Dec 10th show in London) Darling Hubby RELUCTANTLY agreed to take me....I think he had something to do with me NOT getting drawn in that lotto!!!

Old 01-10-2008, 08:11 PM

24 posts, read 92,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiemeister View Post
Though it might be fun to remember some of the first concerts you attended in SA or elsewhere for that matter but beware you might be giving away your age! I was knee high to a grasshopper when I saw Jimi Hendrix at the Municipal Auditorium. Did anybody else go to that concert? It was awesome and I was too young to even know what marijuana was... come to think of it maybe that was one reason it was so good... I did feel kinda light headed when my Mother picked my cousin and I up after the concert. I do not live on River Road just incase you were wondering. Why be stingy... everyone post the first concert/concerts you went to and where?
My first concert was Grand Funk / Bloodrock and the Hemisfair Arena sometime around '72. I saw a lot of concerts in S.A. back in the 70s. I still enjoy going to concerts.... I just saw Jethro Tull a couple of months ago in Springfield, IL.

Old 01-11-2008, 02:19 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,448,856 times
Was able to research that Beautiful Day concert...they opened for John Mayall, Joseful, Quicksilver Messenger Service and the Grateful Dead.

Reaching back, also saw Joe Cocker (can ANYONE believe that guy is still alive??!!?) James Taylor (Sweet Baby James), and even attended the 99 cent James Brown Reviews!!! Saw Rod Stewart (back in the Maggie Mae days).

Since It was Rod's Birthday yesterday, the radio announcer shared a good "Rod" joke on the drive into work yesterday. Why did Rod Stewart go to the hospital? To witness the birth of his next wife!!! LOL

Old 01-11-2008, 07:30 AM
tcs

218 posts, read 876,765 times
XM41 has been playing some Yngwie Malmsteen lately. We went to so many concerts at HemisFair Arena that I can not remember them all. The one that does stick in my memory was SAGA because we had last row nose bleed lay your head back and hit the wall seats.

I remember the stage lighting or lack of lighting at Iron Butterfly. Looked like outdoor colored flood lights that we used on the Christmas displays.

Old 01-11-2008, 09:18 AM

129 posts, read 512,894 times
My favorite all time musician is Todd Rundgren. I used to have the flyer from the first time I saw him-Laurie Auditorium-Trinity University around 75. I have seen him maybe 10 times since. Older brother (who at 13 went to jimi hendrix concert here) has seen Todd many many times. We would also travel to Austin late 70s early 80s and saw him Armadillo World Hdqr. I remember one time reaching up and grabbing his colorful tennis shoe and not let go! Todd is Godd.

Old 01-11-2008, 10:00 AM

847 posts, read 2,231,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiemeister View Post
You are right Mud... it was the Ramada Inn.

You must have gone to Lee.

Thanks for filling in the details in regards to Hendrix
(I forgot some of those things until you mentioned them)...
no wonder that was the best concert ever!
The girls that hooked up with Jimi said that he was really high (obviously)
and swinging on the flag poll at the hotel.

The Mind's Eye was a cool place... strobe lights, psychodelic light shows on the walls,
smoke (dry ice), sunken dance floor.
My mother was so freaked out that she tried to grab me off the dance floor and drag me home.
Heck, I was just having too much fun.
For those who may be interested the Mind's Eye was on Austin Hwy (right?)
and was across the street and in the vicinity of the shopping strip that now houses Earl Abel's.
Do you know what was there before the club or after the club?

Was the Pussycat downtown?
In what building on what street?
Did it have dancing girls on high pedestals dressed similar to the dancing girls on the Laugh-In television show?

I did not see Beautiful Day but liked their sound and lyrics.
I see that Paka was at that concert. Paka I saw Led Zepplin either at the Municipal or the Arena... CRS!
Unfortunately, did not get up to Austin in those days... too young I guess.
I wonder if anybody out there went to WOODSTOCK?
I also saw Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young in Houston before the break.
Neil Young and the old man song was my fav.
We like your stories Mud... tell us more.

Checkin in here quick, notta lotta time,
but this is a real interesting topic for me.

yeah cookie I went to Lee for a half year.
Had a brand new 67 Triumph murderSickle,
and they told me I had to park it off campus.
I said - yeah I'll park it at my house,
and never went back.

I've heard the flagpole swinging Jimi story as well.
When I flew up from corpus for that show,
Hendrix and the boys,
who was it Joel Redding and???

Anyway, they all three had the giant puffball Afros,
Jimi, the tall guy, was bouncing the two little Brits,
like basketballs down the corridor there in the terminal.

Friend of mine ran that lightShow at the Mind's Eye.
13th Floor Elevators played there a couple times.

I do not remember the precise location of the Eye.
But, if you really want to know,
go out to the Bun n Barrel and ask ??Carlos.
He's been at the BnB for 40 plus years,
and he can and will tell you.
I believe he told me it was a couple blocks north.

PussyCat yes had the gogo girls.
It was in the shadow of the Transit Tower
Tower Life Bldg whatever you want to call it.
Real short stone throw west of St Marys St.
Hendrix played there as well.

Almost forgot about the Love Street Light Circus
downtown on Commerce Street.
Elevators played in there as well.
I was at the Circus on the night of what is
probably the only full fledged riot
that ever happened here in SATx.

Some other bands I heard at the Municipal Aud -
Eric Burden and the Animals
The Who
Country Joe and the Fish
John Lee Hooker
Savoy Brown
Cheech and Chong
to name a few

off the subject -
anyone remember Edge Falls??

gotta go

mud

Old 01-11-2008, 01:48 PM

129 posts, read 512,894 times
Yes-Edge falls, vaguely as a teenager, brother could tell better stories. We would also go with him to Stinky Falls. There were 2 large pits we would jump in, then have to hold our breaths and swim under the concrete wall to get out. What a crazy thing to do! after several deaths, they finally filled the holes with concrete.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio