U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-11-2017, 09:04 AM
 
Location: San Antonio
5,286 posts, read 4,155,936 times
Reputation: 4349

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
User outoffocus has every right to be concerned about how this country is catering to the needs of all these special snowflakes. I know I am. Some of us are more vocal about it than others.

The name of this school just simply should have been left alone.
Why? Because you say so? How is your opinion more valid than those who would prefer to see the name changed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-11-2017, 09:50 AM
 
5,631 posts, read 6,441,344 times
Reputation: 3608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Why? Because you say so? How is your opinion more valid than those who would prefer to see the name changed?
If you read the news pal, you would know I am not the only one that shares the same opinion.

Your questions above are nothing more than deflection from the real issue on hand here. Don't put words in my mouth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2017, 10:12 AM
 
Location: San Antonio
5,286 posts, read 4,155,936 times
Reputation: 4349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
If you read the news pal, you would know I am not the only one that shares the same opinion.

Your questions above are nothing more than deflection from the real issue on hand here. Don't put words in my mouth.
By quoting both you and outoftouch, I'm clearly aware that you are not alone in your opinion.

How exactly am I deflecting? Your own words say that those who wanted the name to stay are right while those who wanted the name changed are wrong. Explain why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2017, 10:20 AM
 
Location: San Antonio
1,587 posts, read 3,028,766 times
Reputation: 2370
The L.E.E. Snowflakes would be better than keeping it the Volunteers. The school's name, pride and it's mascot have all been desecrated by the insidious disease of political correctness that is ravaging everything good about this country.

Jefferson High School in Port Arthur was renamed Memorial High School because our third president and author of the Declaration Of Independence owned slaves, which was legal at the time. I hope the crybabies here in San Antonio won't whine until the SAISD wusses out like the NEISD did.

Winston Churchill said: “Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.” When we sweep history under the rug and don't teach it AS IT WAS, or not at all, can be detrimental especially to the "sensitive" souls whose psyches are hurt by the tiny bits of knowledge that sets them off on their lame crusades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2017, 10:35 AM
 
5,631 posts, read 6,441,344 times
Reputation: 3608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post

How exactly am I deflecting? Your own words say that those who wanted the name to stay are right while those who wanted the name changed are wrong. Explain why.
What I said is that the name should have not been changed. Why?...because all of this name changing as we see it going on now is the precedent to possibly change A LOT more in the future and in a way that I consider negative for this country.

Many of these people that want this name change are like that young woman who recently snatched the MAGA hat right off another student's head, went to the school office and protected against HIS right to wear that hat on a college campus. They don't care about this country's history. As that young woman put it on video...she said 'F...your laws".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2017, 10:41 AM
 
Location: San Antonio
5,286 posts, read 4,155,936 times
Reputation: 4349
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
The L.E.E. Snowflakes would be better than keeping it the Volunteers. The school's name, pride and it's mascot have all been desecrated by the insidious disease of political correctness that is ravaging everything good about this country.

Jefferson High School in Port Arthur was renamed Memorial High School because our third president and author of the Declaration Of Independence owned slaves, which was legal at the time. I hope the crybabies here in San Antonio won't whine until the SAISD wusses out like the NEISD did.

Winston Churchill said: “Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.” When we sweep history under the rug and don't teach it AS IT WAS, or not at all, can be detrimental especially to the "sensitive" souls whose psyches are hurt by the tiny bits of knowledge that sets them off on their lame crusades.
Apparently, Robert E. Lee himself did not share your sentiments, as evidenced by his declining of a Gettysburg Memorial invitation in 1869:

Quote:
I think it wiser, moreover, not to keep open the sores of war but to follow the examples of those nations who endeavored to obliterate the marks of civil strife, to commit to oblivion the feelings engendered. Very respectfully,
Your obedient servant,
R. E. Lee.

http://www2.vcdh.virginia.edu/saxon/...1869.09.03.xml

By now it should be common knowledge that the majority of Confederate memorials in this country were established not to commemorate history but in direct response to the Civil Rights movements of the early and mid 20th century (Lee High was named in 1958) Their primary purpose has always been to spite and intimidate America's people of color.

So spare us the BS of history being swept under the rug. The Confederacy still happened. You're just mad that they're being stripped of the honor they never deserved to begin with.

Last edited by Gunion Powder; 10-11-2017 at 10:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2017, 10:52 AM
 
Location: San Antonio
5,286 posts, read 4,155,936 times
Reputation: 4349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
What I said is that the name should have not been changed. Why?...because all of this name changing as we see it going on now is the precedent to possibly change A LOT more in the future and in a way that I consider negative for this country.
Negative in what way? The only negative I've seen so far is a bunch of sore losers who can't handle the shaming of their false heroes.

Quote:
Many of these people that want this name change are like that young woman who recently snatched the MAGA hat right off another student's head, went to the school office and protected against HIS right to wear that hat on a college campus. They don't care about this country's history. As that young woman put it on video...she said 'F...your laws".
Some people react poorly to passive-aggressive gestures like MAGA hats. That's true, but I doubt you can prove that her actions are actually typical of those who have similar opinions, and you certainly can't prove that this nation's history is of no importance to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2017, 06:25 AM
 
1,175 posts, read 1,178,359 times
Reputation: 1330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
What I said is that the name should have not been changed. Why?...because all of this name changing as we see it going on now is the precedent to possibly change A LOT more in the future and in a way that I consider negative for this country.

Many of these people that want this name change are like that young woman who recently snatched the MAGA hat right off another student's head, went to the school office and protected against HIS right to wear that hat on a college campus. They don't care about this country's history. As that young woman put it on video...she said 'F...your laws".
So, one group is mad because memorials of people who fought against their own country are being taken down, and people are taking a knee during the national anthem.

That same group has the nerve to say they're tired of the politically correct nonsense and calling others Snowflakes? Seems like you guys have it backwards.

You can still learn about history in books, and the internet. https://www.civilwar.org/learn/biographies/robert-e-lee
Just because they're taking the statues doesn't mean they're coming for something else next. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slippery_slope
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2017, 07:02 AM
 
Location: San Antonio
3,750 posts, read 3,868,703 times
Reputation: 3196
Quote:
Originally Posted by prim8 View Post
So, one group is mad because memorials of people who fought against their own country are being taken down, and people are taking a knee during the national anthem.

That same group has the nerve to say they're tired of the politically correct nonsense and calling others Snowflakes? Seems like you guys have it backwards.

You can still learn about history in books, and the internet. https://www.civilwar.org/learn/biographies/robert-e-lee
Just because they're taking the statues doesn't mean they're coming for something else next. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slippery_slope
You seem to lack historical context in your thought process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2017, 07:30 AM
 
5,631 posts, read 6,441,344 times
Reputation: 3608
Quote:
Originally Posted by prim8 View Post
So, one group is mad because memorials of people who fought against their own country are being taken down, and people are taking a knee during the national anthem.

That same group has the nerve to say they're tired of the politically correct nonsense and calling others Snowflakes? Seems like you guys have it backwards.

You can still learn about history in books, and the internet. https://www.civilwar.org/learn/biographies/robert-e-lee
Just because they're taking the statues doesn't mean they're coming for something else next. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slippery_slope
Please do learn more about history seeing as you could do a bit more reading...but it will take a lot more than just those two links you threw at me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top