Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2008, 10:14 AM

6 posts, read 22,104 times

Advertisements

Does anyone remember Valerio's? On Broadway across from the Wittie.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:37 AM

284 posts, read 1,087,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stampincraze View Post
Does anyone remember Valerio's? On Broadway across from the Wittie.
I remember Valerio's. It was my family's favorite place to go for Italian food. According to my 1984 Kriss-Kross directory, the address was 3820 Broadway, which is IHOP's address now.

I don't know if this was mentioned before, but Christie's, another favorite restaurant of my family, was at 3130 Broadway. Whataburger has that address now.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:53 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,694,284 times
Default Broadway

Since we are on the topic of GBNF on Broadway...Naples which is where the present day Tomatios. Anyone remember when it closed down and if that building was anything else?
Is the Naples on NW Military and Huebner somehow related to it?

Old 12-05-2008, 12:04 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,369,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowglobe View Post
I remember Valerio's. It was my family's favorite place to go for Italian food. According to my 1984 Kriss-Kross directory, the address was 3820 Broadway, which is IHOP's address now.

I don't know if this was mentioned before, but Christie's, another favorite restaurant of my family, was at 3130 Broadway. Whataburger has that address now.
Snowglobe....is La Louisianne (sp?) in your kriss kross? I can't remember when it closed, but I think it was still there in 84. I try to remember the location and don't recognize it when I go down Broadway. Do you have the address # in that edition?

Old 12-05-2008, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
Snowglobe....is La Louisianne (sp?) in your kriss kross? I can't remember when it closed, but I think it was still there in 84. I try to remember the location and don't recognize it when I go down Broadway. Do you have the address # in that edition?
La Louisiane is in the 1984 directory at 2632 Broadway. When I googled the address, I got several listings for medical offices and professional offices with their various suite numbers.

Old 12-05-2008, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
Since we are on the topic of GBNF on Broadway...Naples which is where the present day Tomatios. Anyone remember when it closed down and if that building was anything else?
Naples is not listed in my 1984 directory. There is no listing for the 3210 address number (Tomatillos' address), not even a "vacant" designation.

Old 12-05-2008, 09:16 PM

35 posts, read 115,953 times
Default East Side GBNF

Eastwood Village which is on W.W.White Rd. 1 block south of E.Houston St. at one time had a Winn's and a Piggly Wiggly . The PW was at the
north end and is now a Dollar General. If you keep going southbound
where W.W.White meets Rigsby there was a Pig Stand. Had good
breakfast, burgers, and fish & chips. Used to hit it after a hard night
of bowling nine pin. jg1208

Old 12-05-2008, 09:24 PM

139 posts, read 504,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jg1208 View Post
Eastwood Village which is on W.W.White Rd. 1 block south of E.Houston St. at one time had a Winn's and a Piggly Wiggly . The PW was at the
north end and is now a Dollar General. If you keep going southbound
where W.W.White meets Rigsby there was a Pig Stand. Had good
breakfast, burgers, and fish & chips. Used to hit it after a hard night
of bowling nine pin. jg1208
I used to eat the Ham Breakfast at the same Pig Stand. When I went for dinner. I would get the Pig Sandwich.

Old 12-05-2008, 10:12 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,369,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowglobe View Post
La Louisiane is in the 1984 directory at 2632 Broadway. When I googled the address, I got several listings for medical offices and professional offices with their various suite numbers.
Thanks Snowglobe! Now I know why I couldn't find it! It's not there! On top of the fact that I didn't remember it being down Broadway that far. That address is just South of Mulberry next to a car dealership. There are a couple of new buildings on that bend in Broadway that were built in the last couple of years. That must be what you found listed.

Old 12-06-2008, 12:44 AM

2,953 posts, read 5,296,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
Nope, that Naple's, which is called Naple's Pizza (and dam* good New York style Pizza btw) is from a family that owned a couple of successful pizza places in Connecticut, one most notably on or near the Yale campus. I don't know if the whole family relocated here or just a part of it. They originally had some sort of partnership with the family that owns Sorrento's, but had some kind of falling out. An Italian friend of mine from Boston once asked one of the people at the NW Military location what was their relationship with Sorrento's and the guy just looked at him like he was going to jump over the counter and rip out his throat. He said something like, "that was a long time ago", but his tone was like "it's none of your effen business. These are not the droids you are looking for. Move Along."

The original Naples on Broadway was owned by an Italian couple who shut it down when they got too old ( or one of them sadly died, I can't remember which). My parents, who grew up in New Jersey, would take me there all the time when I was kid. To them, it was the closest italian food to what they got back home that they could get in San Antonio. My mom still tells the story that when I was a toddler, still sitting in a high chair, I decided for some unexpected reason, to pick up my kiddie-menu spaggetti bowl and dump it on my head. My dad used to complain about having to take me to the bathroom to clean me off, and having to explain to the other men in the bathroom why he was cleaning spaggetti sauce and noodles out of his kid's hair, like I was retarded or something. He then apparently had to actually "use" the bathroom, so I took the opportunity to escape and run through the dining room where my mom saw me, grabbed me, then started yelling at my dad for losing me. Growing up, I was reminded of this incident frequently. I have no memory of any of this, so I have to decided to believe they were just screwing with my head. That's my story and I am sticking with it.

In the mid to late 1990s, the grandchildren of the original Naples owners, opened up Naples again on Babcock near Huebner. They used their Grandparents recipes. I used to eat there all the time when I worked at Billing Concepts after they relocated to the medical center. Primo, I think you even joined us there once. Regardless, that restaurant was a success, and the grandchildren eventually parlayed that to a move back near the original location. Sadly, the new location failed and they went out of business in less than 2 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio