Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2008, 08:04 AM
djw

951 posts, read 2,837,827 times

Advertisements

Can anyone explain why the manufacturer of smoke detectors program those things to chirp at 2AM indicating low-battery? Why not 8pm, or 6am or even 10pm. Why 2AM??? Scared the bejebbies out of me and there was NOTHING I could do about it that late at night. I was not going out to the garage, lugging the 8ft ladder up the stairs not to mention dig around for a 9v battery.
It's not even a consistent chirp. Just enough to make you think you're hearing things or that it won't chirp again.
Oh, and did I mention that it finally stopped around 7am. Yea, I stayed in the room with the darned thing with my head buried under the pillows. It's quiet as a mouse now.

Old 05-26-2008, 08:06 AM

3,060 posts, read 7,431,673 times
I HATE that! We have 5 in the house, and they're connected to each other - so when one goes off they all do. What I find interesting is that sometimes during the beeping, the beep will move from the bad unit, to one of the good units! Very frustrating replacing batteries...

Old 05-26-2008, 09:00 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,073,824 times
Does anyone else think it's extremely cool that we've landed on Mars? Yeah, tons of money spent, but still..................Mars!

Old 05-26-2008, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Does anyone else think it's extremely cool that we've landed on Mars? Yeah, tons of money spent, but still..................Mars!
I'm excited to see what they 'dig up'!!! I think it's really cool too.

Did you guys see the video in the S&B thread?? OMG OMG

Old 05-26-2008, 10:17 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,426,006 times
I've seen quite a few stores that look like that, in foreign countries...

Old 05-26-2008, 11:54 AM

Change of topic, again - we hit the McD's on Culebra/Tezel for lunch to let the little play for a bit. She didn't play at all. There was one kid just walking around screaming and banging all the playground surfaces he could find - not in an angry way, but more like "I can be loud here" way. Another kid, maybe 4-5, came out of one of the tunnels with a mouthful of chicken (I think) - some in his hands, some on his face and clothes, and then he spit some out on the floor. Then he ran back to his dad, sitting there reading the paper. His dad gave him a drink, and sent him back out. Didn't clean him up, didn't check on the giant mess he made, nothing. One family left after the mom saw that. My wife asked the management to check on it - they sent a kid out to clean it up. He proceeded to sit the wet floor sign out in front of the opening, then pick up what he could with a rag, and then left. So naturally the kids in the place wasted no time in knocking the sign out of the way.

Ugh. Even my daughter was upset. She didn't want to play in that stuff, the stuff that she pointed out that all the other kids were running through and stepping on (barefoot, some of them). We told her we'd make it up to her and we left.

Does "parenting" even exist anymore? /rant

Old 05-26-2008, 12:51 PM

732 posts, read 3,555,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwrober View Post
Change of topic, again - we hit the McD's on Culebra/Tezel for lunch to let the little play for a bit. She didn't play at all. There was one kid just walking around screaming and banging all the playground surfaces he could find - not in an angry way, but more like "I can be loud here" way. Another kid, maybe 4-5, came out of one of the tunnels with a mouthful of chicken (I think) - some in his hands, some on his face and clothes, and then he spit some out on the floor. Then he ran back to his dad, sitting there reading the paper. His dad gave him a drink, and sent him back out. Didn't clean him up, didn't check on the giant mess he made, nothing. One family left after the mom saw that. My wife asked the management to check on it - they sent a kid out to clean it up. He proceeded to sit the wet floor sign out in front of the opening, then pick up what he could with a rag, and then left. So naturally the kids in the place wasted no time in knocking the sign out of the way.

Ugh. Even my daughter was upset. She didn't want to play in that stuff, the stuff that she pointed out that all the other kids were running through and stepping on (barefoot, some of them). We told her we'd make it up to her and we left.

Does "parenting" even exist anymore? /rant

It is that very thing that keeps me out of restaurant play areas etc. Sure, I know it's supposed to be "convenient" to allow adults to eat while kids play but I can't relax in an atmosphere like that. There is ALWAYS some issue with an unruly child and careless parents. It just ruins the experience for the rest of us! I feel bad for you little one....she must have been disappointed....

Old 05-26-2008, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midorigreen View Post
It is that very thing that keeps me out of restaurant play areas etc. Sure, I know it's supposed to be "convenient" to allow adults to eat while kids play but I can't relax in an atmosphere like that. There is ALWAYS some issue with an unruly child and careless parents. It just ruins the experience for the rest of us! I feel bad for you little one....she must have been disappointed....
She was. Then we came home, and she tried to watch Seeker (picked up from Redbox yesterday) but she decided it was too scary for her! I'm gonna have to take this kid out for ice cream or something to make her day better!

Old 05-26-2008, 01:53 PM

I am the least germophobic person out there, but my kids were never allowed in those play areas. EVER. They are the nastiest, dirtiest cesspools and I just didn't let my kids go in them. We lived in Dallas briefly in the early 90's when my oldest was small, and the big news there was all the feces, hypodermic needles, and other assorted goodies that they found in those ball pits at McDonald's. I just couldn't let him in there.

Old 05-26-2008, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwrober View Post
She was. Then we came home, and she tried to watch Seeker (picked up from Redbox yesterday) but she decided it was too scary for her! I'm gonna have to take this kid out for ice cream or something to make her day better!
Marble Slab always makes my bad days better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio