Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2007, 04:19 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,297,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinocowboy View Post
I've been thinking of getting the HD Drive once my current DVD player gives up the ghost. Is your x360 just as noisy while watching HD as it is while playing processor-heavy games?
No actually, since it bypasses the X-Box disk drive completely. I believe the XBOX HD drive is actually manufactured by Toshiba.

Old 12-26-2007, 08:50 PM

470 posts, read 1,953,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
No actually, since it bypasses the X-Box disk drive completely. I believe the XBOX HD drive is actually manufactured by Toshiba.
Good to know. Thanks.

Old 12-27-2007, 12:10 PM

1,439 posts, read 3,885,467 times
We got a margarita machine too! I see a City Data party in the making ! This Christmas was so much fun as our toddler really had a lot of fun. It was neat to see baby T's reaction on Christmas morning!

Old 12-27-2007, 01:27 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,400,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Soooooo, what did Santa bring?

I got books, perfume, and a promise of a GPS unit! We just haven't had time to go decide on one yet! I guess the biggest gift, albeit the most painful one, has been our newly-bricked back yard!

So fellow C-D'er's and kids at heart, what was your surprise?
If you're looking for a GPS nav system I'd highly recommend TomTom, but do it quick.. they currently have a givegive promotion where you get a $100 rebate on quite a few systems, including the TomTom One. There are of course exclusions though.. http://www.tomtom.com/lib/img/promo/GiveGive100.pdf I didn't buy the One for my son at any of those stores, but I have a feeling they'll still try to weasel out of the deal because I still got it for $149.99. I've had one in my car for a while and they're a VERY nice thing to have. No need to get the big, expensive, fancy ones if you ask me. Only issue I have is I thought I was getting a great deal a few months ago when I paid $199.99 for it..
Quote:
I got a an X-box HD Drive and a professional, stainless-steel margarita machine. I knew about the HD Drive (I've already used it to watch my favorite movie of all time, Blade Runner!), but the Margarita machine was a surprise. When we were getting married last year, they had a table-top margarita machine at Bed, Bath, and Beyond. I wanted to add that to our registry, but my wife wouldn't let me. She didn't think anyone would get it for us, and that it was a little white-trashy. I told her, "You don't know my friends....."

Regardless, 6 months later I saw one on clearance, brought it home, and the motor burned out immediately. Luckily, BB&B refunded my money. I must have been pretty bummed, so my wife went out and got me an all stainless steel, semi-commercial machine. I haven't tried it yet, but will let you all know how good a job it does.
Please do get back with that margarita machine. I'd love one, but they are pricey..
Quote:
The 360 still has to be on though right? that's a loud system there. I'd probably go the HTPC route and get one with completely passive cooling if possible. I have a Dell 530S in my kitchen and it's really quiet and yes, a computer in the kitchen is a good idea. Those of you that don't have one just don't know it yet..

Old 12-27-2007, 08:50 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,042,880 times
Computers are getting to be like TV's. One in every room is almost the norm now. We have 2 laptops and 2 desktops in our house already. Between work, keeping up with friends, and just "needing" it (i.e. the Internet settles at least one argument a day )--directions, shopping, general info--we use ours constantly.

Old 12-28-2007, 06:46 AM

4 desktops and 4 laptops for a family of four that is usually only three since one basically lives with his GF.. that's not overkill

actually, I have my laptop for school work, wife has her laptop for herself, daughter has one, son borrowed one, desktop for doing multimedia stuff, desktop in the kitchen just because, another desktop upstairs for son to use when he's here and another desktop in my daughter's room that basically hasn't been turned on in about a year..

Old 12-29-2007, 11:49 AM
djw

951 posts, read 2,835,694 times
Default where to donate food?

I've cleaned out my pantry and after tossing the expired stuff, I have quite a few odds-n-ends that I KNOW I won't use. Canned stuff, boxed stuff, Jiff PB since Peter Pan is back on the market, ramen flavors my son won't eat.
Anyone seen any food-drive boxes around that I can grop the stuff in today?

Old 12-29-2007, 02:25 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,042,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djw View Post
I've cleaned out my pantry and after tossing the expired stuff, I have quite a few odds-n-ends that I KNOW I won't use. Canned stuff, boxed stuff, Jiff PB since Peter Pan is back on the market, ramen flavors my son won't eat.
Put it in the Free section of craigslist.org. It will be gone within minutes.

Old 12-29-2007, 02:47 PM

So I was reading one of my favorite sites, engadget.com, and came across this Amazon.com awards list and one thing that caught my eye was a gallon of Tuscan whole milk under the gourmet items in the most loved section (highest reader reviews). I found that really odd, until I did a google search of this milk..

gotta love the internet

edit- to add the funniest link yet.. http://tuscanmilkraveparty.ytmnd.com/ there is sound in this and it's pretty loud, so might want to adjust the volume first..

Old 12-29-2007, 03:11 PM

1,805 posts, read 4,777,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djw View Post
Call any church that is near your home. Most churches have food pantries and would love to have your donation....

Local agencies have lists of which churches have food pantries and they send folks in need to those churches....

You can be assured you are helping someone who really needs it this way....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio