Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 06:49 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,373,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
For most people, a house is not an investment, it is a place to live. But everybody thinking of them as an investment is exactly why housing prices are so ridiculously inflated.

>In the last housing crash, their home lost over 60% of its value, and the recovery of said value has being agonizingly slow.
In other words, it has gone back to normal.

Quote:
Anybody else feel like San Antonio being a military city has done a lot in getting rid of its unique culture?

Wow... You go from thinking homeowners being stuck under water with home values is a good thing, to bashing the military in two posts. Sure to make some friends that way.

Your contention about homes not being an investment, but a place to live is uniformed. A home is a place to live for everyone that owns one. It is also the largest single investment most people make. Life happens, job situations change, family situations change. What happens if a homeowner is saddled with an undervalued home and has to move to take care of a sick family member, or move for a job?

San Antonio touts itself as "Military City USA", and yes there are three military installations here, however, they are comparatively quite small, and have little impact on local culture. All three installations in San Antonio are training installations. This means that there is a large, transient student population that is here from several months to a year, and a very small number of permanent staff. Many of the 2 and 3 Star Commands on JBSA have 90% civilian employees. The largest segment of military related people in the area is likely military retirees. Most own homes, and contribute to the local economy through secondary career employment, tax revenues, etc. Alienate them if you want, but probably not a good idea. If you go north of here to Fort Hood, you will find a much higher military population density. In fact, if Fort Hood were to shut down, Killeen, Harker Heights, and Copperas Cove would almost cease to exist, and even Temple, Belton, Lampassas, and Salado would feel some significant pain. Quite different than the tiny segment of military members that exist in San Antonio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2018, 06:52 AM

9,854 posts, read 13,736,474 times
The military culture is part of what makes the city what it is. It doesn't take away from the "uniqueness" or "history" of the city. It is the city. Some people appreciate that, others don't and is part of why they leave. Take it or leave it.

Old 08-29-2018, 10:01 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,025,762 times
It has brought a lot of people here who are not from Texas. It has changed Alamo Heights and all of the small towns. Sorry for not accepting my homeland as a place for random people to just come and retire.

Old 08-29-2018, 10:56 AM

502 posts, read 393,299 times
I didn't think that having a large military presence was anything new for San Antonio.

Old 08-29-2018, 12:36 PM

4,440 posts, read 5,363,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by River City Rocky View Post
I didn't think that having a large military presence was anything new for San Antonio.
Oh you know, they have been apart of the fabric of San Antonio sine 1876.

Old 08-29-2018, 12:37 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,025,762 times
It has nothing to do with the military itself, but it has attracted people from different parts of the country which has really changed the area

Old 08-29-2018, 02:48 PM

2,295 posts, read 2,373,829 times
Quote:
It has brought a lot of people here who are not from Texas. It has changed Alamo Heights and all of the small towns. Sorry for not accepting my homeland as a place for random people to just come and retire.

Homeland? I wasn't aware there was group of indigenous San Antonians being invaded by foreign interlopers.

What's the time line for acceptance? What if someone has been a Texan for 25 years? Is that acceptable criteria for admission? More, less?

I would say the booming tech sector is bringing way more "random people" to San Antonio than the military. As stated, the permanently stationed number of military members is small compared to an installation with a war fighting mission.

I will make sure to let fellow my veterans know that they should seek your permission and approval before deciding where they want to live in the country that they have served...

Old 08-31-2018, 07:44 AM

3,000 posts, read 3,115,708 times
To me, warm and friendly people, GREAT food and history, and a beautiful and unique culture, even among other big cities in Texas.

San Antonio is a VERY charming city, and a large part of that charm is that---unlike DFW, Austin, and Houston---it's not overrun with transplants from California and other expensive cost of living states and regions.

San Antonio is my favorite Texas city.

Last edited by NoClueWho; 08-31-2018 at 08:17 AM..

Old 08-31-2018, 11:34 AM

502 posts, read 393,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Luthor View Post
To me, warm and friendly people, GREAT food and history, and a beautiful and unique culture, even among other big cities in Texas.

San Antonio is a VERY charming city, and a large part of that charm is that---unlike DFW, Austin, and Houston---it's not overrun with transplants from California and other expensive cost of living states and regions.

San Antonio is my favorite Texas city.
Where do you live?

Old 08-31-2018, 01:12 PM

61,922 posts, read 87,512,332 times
Oh, those horrible transplants, especially from California, who dare to move in and mess up with San Antonio (or Texas).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio