Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 04:19 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,968,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis32801 View Post
When I said trees, I meant a greenery scenary. Granted I've only been near my downtown bubble, but considering Broadway street is the premier road in SA, there is just hardly any green landscape. And government hill us just hideous.
Millions of dollars are about to be spent to turn Broadway into a complete street. That will help solve some of the lack of greenery along the street.

Planning The Future Of San Antonio's Broadway Corridor | Texas Public Radio
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2018, 10:52 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,001,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prim8 View Post
Based on what? Is he against all guns, or just some? Does he want to take them away from everyone, or just certain people? Be accurate and specific or just stop.
I'm so tired of this method of discourse in politics. Trump is against all POC, Obama hates Christians, Trump hates poor people, Hillary is evil, and on and on it goes.
Use your brain, do some research, spread the facts, not hyperbole.
Yes, "just" some. Everyone.

Old 08-15-2018, 02:48 PM

707 posts, read 1,845,195 times
Quote:
When I said trees, I meant a greenery scenary. Granted I've only been near my downtown bubble, but considering Broadway street is the premier road in SA, there is just hardly any green landscape. And government hill us just hideous.

Yea, that Seoul Korean marketplace is awesome. And Oh, I know Houston Vietnamese options. But a 6 hr round trip to buy some good munchies is beyond much.

Oh, not the Seoul one (I haven’t been there yet); I’m talking about the one called Korean Market off Fairdale Dr.

Old 08-15-2018, 08:39 PM

269 posts, read 181,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miche111e View Post
Oh, not the Seoul one (I haven’t been there yet); I’m talking about the one called Korean Market off Fairdale Dr.
Cool, I will need to try that place, thanks!

Old 08-23-2018, 03:06 PM

657 posts, read 1,936,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madrone2k View Post
An interesting discussion that has veered off on to politics, which is fine. However, I was just reading elnina's earlier comment regarding to what extent elements of German culture still exist in San Antonio. I know from reading that in Houston (where I live) Germans were an important part of the community, but one would not know it today other than for the German street names in west Houston.

I have read that prior to WWI and WWII, a lot of Texas families spoke German at home, but later pushed to assimilate into Anglo-American culture due to prejudice engendered during those wars.

I know that places like New Braunfels and Fredericksburg successfully use German heritage to promote business. My impression is that its pretty fake, though I would not tell them to stop. A Houston colleague from Germany once hosted his German parents here on a trip to Fredericksburg and they were rather shocked and disappointed after absorbing all the hype about how it was a little time capsule of German culture. I found their experience instructive. On the other hand, I find Fredericksburg to be fun if one accepts it as it is.

Has anyone here been to Solvang, California? Some would believe its a quaint little Danish village. In actuality, its a kitschy tourist trap. Despite that, it is still fun as long as one doesn't fall for the PR.
Yea, one thing to keep in mind about the German/Central European influence is that is isn't an on-going influence. There really hasn't been any significant immigration from to Texas since the early 1900s, so 100 years. That is a lot of time and generations to assimilate and lose cultural ties, especially when you add into that period two significant wars where it was a good idea suppress that culture. My Dad was born in 1938 and never spoke any German, but had older siblings that had functional knowledge. He was the youngest of 12 and his oldest siblings were 19-20 years older than he was.

Another thing to keep in mind is the German culture of today doesn't really reflect the germany of 1860-1880 (The periods with highest immigration) any more than the Texas culture of 1860-1880 reflects todays. To have an authentic German culture as it exists today in Germany would mean immigrants would have had to kept such strong ties to Germany that they evolved similarly as to how culture evolved in Germany, which has in no way been the case. This is in contrast to Hispanic culture and ties of which there is on-going new immigration as well as long term persistent ties for those immigrants to where they came from.

Old 08-25-2018, 01:11 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,564,252 times
Quote:
Anywho.....back on topic. I've only lived here since May, but what I love and hate about SA?

Love the cheap drinks! Friendly people. Low cost of food. Lower cost of apartment rent. Cheap good Mexican food.

Hate the landscape (like a giant parking lot), no lush green trees, dusty (can never keep my car clean), no Asian district (bad Vietnamese options), disconnected downtown area, and ridiculous home prices near downtown for what the district offers (can't wait for a housing crash)
Food is kind of expensive here compared to the east coast! I just moved here and am noticing the difference right away.

Old 08-25-2018, 02:15 PM

61,653 posts, read 87,023,434 times
It is even more expensive than in Houston or Austin...

Old 08-26-2018, 02:09 PM

502 posts, read 391,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Really, I didn't know that?

Old 08-26-2018, 03:53 PM

1,985 posts, read 3,317,679 times
Quote:
By what measure? By most measures SA is cheaper than Dallas, Houston, or Austin.

Old 08-26-2018, 06:28 PM

511 posts, read 399,442 times
Quote:
SA is more expensive than... Austin?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio