Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2020, 11:11 AM

1,514 posts, read 891,096 times

Advertisements

Just looked a bit more into this. This is a bit concerning:
https://news4sanantonio.com/news/loc...-jbsa-lackland

"There may be additional cases that we identify," said Capt. Jennifer McQuiston of the CDC. "I do want to prepare you for that."

The patient is currently being cared for at an undisclosed San Antonio hospital and was first found to have a fever on the morning of February 11.

"There will likely be additional cases in the coming days and weeks, including among other people recently returned from Wuhan."

- End article excerpts

These passengers and the now confirmed case were probably initially heavily screened and initially came up negative but now, a bit later, someone is showing positive. This is concerning considering incubation periods are up to 2 weeks, people are able to transmit without showing symptoms, people are passing screenings only to actually have the virus and the government is relying on the "honor system" for those comming back from that high risk location that they will indeed self report and remain in their homes and not go get a loaf of bread (or something else) just one time out of the quarantine period.

Last edited by txbullsfan; 02-13-2020 at 11:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2020, 01:00 PM

5,476 posts, read 12,247,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txbullsfan View Post
Just looked a bit more into this. This is a bit concerning:
https://news4sanantonio.com/news/loc...-jbsa-lackland

"There may be additional cases that we identify," said Capt. Jennifer McQuiston of the CDC. "I do want to prepare you for that."

The patient is currently being cared for at an undisclosed San Antonio hospital and was first found to have a fever on the morning of February 11.

"There will likely be additional cases in the coming days and weeks, including among other people recently returned from Wuhan."

- End article excerpts

These passengers and the now confirmed case were probably initially heavily screened and initially came up negative but now, a bit later, someone is showing positive. This is concerning considering incubation periods are up to 2 weeks, people are able to transmit without showing symptoms, people are passing screenings only to actually have the virus and the government is relying on the "honor system" for those comming back from that high risk location that they will indeed self report and remain in their homes and not go get a loaf of bread (or something else) just one time out of the quarantine period.
And this was exactly my point in my last post. There seems to be this willy-nilly treatment when we know that people can present asymptomatic and still host the virus. If a group is quarantined and then another person presents with the virus, the whole quarantine period should be extended 14 days. The clock gets reset with each case (it should), but it isn't. We have people testing inconclusive and later testing positive. We still don't know ALL the ways this can transmit or how long it lives outside the host, nor do we know how many times it's mutated and how well it's adapting to changing environments.

And yeah, I got out of that briefing that although one case was confirmed, there will be more, perhaps 4-5 more.

The whole cruise ship fiasco was another mishandling. Note that the cases on the Diamond Princess continue to increase. No one on that ship has been allowed to leave. This is just creating some sort of floating petrie dish, a hyper-concentrated form of the virus that would be similar to something that would present in say a small, localized community with little to no population influx. So I understand those on the ship were kept there so as to not infect Japan, but now we have individuals who probably have a strengthened version of the virus that either has more severe symptoms or spreads more rapidly. Again, floating petrie dish.

It just seems there is alot of confusion as to how to handle this. Again, until the unknowns are known, it should be with the most strict protocol, but I don't see that happening.

Old 02-13-2020, 03:34 PM

61,730 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Yup. First case is confirmed:
https://www.texastribune.org/2020/02...onio-cdc-says/

Old 02-14-2020, 07:25 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Apparently this is on my mind even though I don't walk around worrying about it. Last night I dreamed that I was with someone I didn't know well, but felt obligated to be magnanimous toward, if that makes sense - I don't even know who it was but it was some sort of low level government official locally. Anyway, he said, "Let's go to the flea market!" and he took my husband and me directly to an outdoor Chinese food market. And this Chinese woman came up to me, close to my face, and said "You tell me - am I contagious? AM I CONTAGIOUS?" and then she coughed in my face and I woke up.

She was an older Asian woman that I saw yesterday in Marshalls. Having lived in Japan and having several Asian relatives, I can usually tell if someone is Chinese, Korean, Filipino, or Japanese, and this woman appeared to be Chinese. I wanted to ask her "Have you been discriminated against lately?" but of course, I didn't ask her that - I didn't know her at all. But the whole uncomfortable idea of discrimination was weighing on my mind, and then that dream...ugh, unpleasant all the way around.

Old 02-14-2020, 10:21 AM

1,514 posts, read 891,096 times
I'm not to worried about the current situation in the US. The CDC and US government seem to have a good handle on things. No significant spread of confirmed cases. No deaths on US soil. The media may be sensationalizing this because it gets good clicks and in return, good ad revenue.

Old 02-14-2020, 07:21 PM

282 posts, read 341,931 times
Quote:
I'm not to worried about the current situation in the US. The CDC and US government seem to have a good handle on things. No significant spread of confirmed cases. No deaths on US soil. The media may be sensationalizing this because it gets good clicks and in return, good ad revenue.
True and I agree. On the other hand as a health care professional and my wife being the chief of staff of an Army medical activity I can’t help but take note of the EU and CDC health agency heads saying we have not seen the “tipping point” yet. To me that means it is going to get worse before it peaks and start to see containment.

Old 02-14-2020, 09:41 PM

4,064 posts, read 5,646,222 times
Although the authorities did not release the name of the hospital the patient is at, it's being reported by local media. That hospital was designated by the government and they reportedly have state of the art transportation and isolation facilities. I'm sure the patient is grateful. Chinese health care is completely substandard.

Old 02-14-2020, 10:11 PM

61,730 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Quote:

I agree. Use the same common sense and universal precautions as you use during a regular flu season.
News in the US tend to sensationalize events way out of proportion and exaggerate negative news.
I am reading news about the coronavirus from the EU and no one is freaking out or spreading propaganda.
When it comes to infectious disease epidemics, we have a strong tendency to overreact emotionally and behaviorally. We fear infectious disease outbreaks much more readily and intensely than we fear diabetes epidemics.
Highly alarming stories and images are circulating on social media depicting an epidemic out of control, about to overtake North America.
Netflix even just launched a (very) hastily prepared docu-series on the horrors of infectious disease epidemics (just like coronavirus).
If that isn’t a sign of the coming apocalypse, I’m not sure what is.

Old 02-15-2020, 12:32 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,410,674 times
More coming.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/coronavir...140415452.html

Old 02-15-2020, 12:36 PM

8,353 posts, read 5,507,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilGar View Post
They’re Americans. They have the right to repatriate. End of story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio