Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 09:53 AM

1 posts, read 1,891 times

Advertisements

I have NEVER experienced this sort of thing anywhere else I've lived. Why are there panhandlers at seemingly every intersection in San Antonio...even in the nicer areas. I was shocked when I drove through Stone Oak and saw obviously homeless men and women standing in the intersection. It's unbelievable.

Old 05-08-2008, 10:03 AM

39 posts, read 39,099 times
From my experience the panhandling is worse in other metro areas I've been to. Those include Houston, Miami, LA, New Orleans, and oddly enough Cincinnati. However, I'd account for the SA problem from a sheer lack of ordinance against panhandling.

Old 05-08-2008, 10:09 AM

163 posts, read 546,191 times
Because people keep giving them money...

Old 05-08-2008, 11:20 AM

74 posts, read 252,320 times
I visited San Diego for the first time last Dec., and I couldn't believe the panhandlers there! They were everywhere too. Where I come from you only see that in the "seedy" areas of Minneapolis, not the suburbs. Then we went to Santa Monica, which is a very "rich" town, and they were everywhere there too. The homeless people had blankets laying on the beach with their belongings and signs asking for money. I guess people just get used to it, and don't even think any thing of it?

Old 05-08-2008, 11:50 AM

734 posts, read 3,015,619 times
I've seen it worse in LA and Phoenix. But maybe it's a problem here because we are just nice people? Too many are actually giving something to these people. Whether they think that they are doing the right thing, or what Jesus would do, or Karma or whatnot. Those who do give to them are hurting, not helping. If you want to help - find a reputable shelter or food bank to donate your time or money too.

I know that weather has a lot to do with it too, there are more panhandlers in states with better weather year round.

Old 05-08-2008, 12:17 PM

571 posts, read 1,932,229 times
Trust me it's worse in other cities .. life is getting tougher everywhere the economy is terrible right now so that's probably why there are more .. when I visited SA (I live in Los Angeles) I was SHOCKED how clean, nice, and empty the downtown area was at 1am in the morning I felt totally safe .. in Los Angeles there would be 200 homeless people wandering around .. so compartively speaking it's much better than other large cities..

Old 05-08-2008, 12:42 PM

394 posts, read 1,506,284 times
Here's a previous thread regarding the panhandling.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...ht=panhandlers

After reading the information and responses posted in this previous thread I have come to the conclusion that most of the panhandling these days - especially in the outer areas - are, as some have stated, not homeless folks but con artists. I am not a heartless person, I have compassion and reach out to those truly in need, but I will no longer give money to these con artists. Instead I would choose to give money to the agencies that actually assist the REAL homeless etc. JMHO.

Old 05-08-2008, 02:02 PM

469 posts, read 1,155,562 times
Just the other day my husband and I were driving and saw a "homeless" man who was limping & asking for money. The moment he saw the traffic was moving again he miraculously was healed and walked normal .

I never have and never will give to someone standing on the side of the road. I'll give to my church or foodbank or shelter before doing that.

Can you imagine how much they make a day! Even if only one person per light cycle gives them one to two dollars by the end of the day or even a few hours they've got quite a bit of money!

Old 05-08-2008, 02:11 PM

81 posts, read 260,663 times
A fool and his money are easily parted. <---that's why. Fleecing of the idiots that are stupid enough to give money to them.

Old 05-08-2008, 02:11 PM

348 posts, read 1,222,690 times
I will admit I give a couple dollars from time to time.

My view is that the person is probably looking for some cash so they can buy themselves a bottle or some beer.

I know I am not helping them or their situation but really, what will?

Many of these people will never have the ability to make rational decisions for reasons unknown to us. It is not my personal responsibilty to help each person. That is why I elect officials and pay my taxes.

I figure, here's 2 bucks, have a beer.

That's my two cents for what it's worth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio