Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 08:44 PM

343 posts, read 1,305,216 times

Advertisements

It's not that the Rim is upscale. But the traffic it generates, proximity to Sea World and Shops at La Cantera would help sustain and support an HEB Market Place there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 12:22 AM

2,649 posts, read 7,439,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexHwyMan View Post
Same here in SA.
By "our" I meant the one in San Antonio. The one in Dallas is also two story, but has a dining room and patio on the second floor.

Old 05-23-2008, 05:47 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,050,177 times
The bottom line is that USAA and HEB should developed in SA first. They have some of the same demographics as Austin in some part of the city especially North SA.

I still don't understand why it is taking Koontz Mccombs-two years to build a condo at Hilde and Broadway. Several other cities have broken ground late last year and the their projects are almost complete. (Austin has built three in less the time) What is it with the SA mentality. I wish we had more people like Nelson Wolff then this city would really progress

Old 05-23-2008, 12:06 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,105,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
The bottom line is that USAA and HEB should developed in SA first. They have some of the same demographics as Austin in some part of the city especially North SA.
Maybe "some of the same demographics" wasn't sufficient to justify a project like that in SA?

Would you fill your gas tank with 50/50 mix of gasoline and water? That mixture has some of the same characteristics as 100% gas.

Old 05-23-2008, 12:31 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,050,177 times
Is SA that much of a hick topwn that demographics is not up to snuff for a developments like this.

Old 05-23-2008, 12:32 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,026,845 times
Quote:
Is SA that much of a hick topwn that demographics is not up to snuff for a developments like this.
Yes, we must be.

Old 05-23-2008, 12:36 PM

46 posts, read 151,497 times
Quote:

I still don't understand why it is taking Koontz Mccombs-two years to build a condo at Hilde and Broadway. Several other cities have broken ground late last year and the their projects are almost complete. (Austin has built three in less the time) What is it with the SA mentality. I wish we had more people like Nelson Wolff then this city would really progress
I hate to break it to anyone, but USAA and HEB have zero responsibility to do anything in San Antonio. They are privately owned, for-profit companies and their only responsibility is to make money for their shareholders (or members in USAA's case).

It is a mistake to look at what is happening in Austin and say "hey, we should have that here!" San Antonio will develop at its own pace. There is a ton of exciting activity going on and the "SA mentality" of hicksville from the past really is gone. Now we need to get rid of the "HEB is from here so they should be building a 120 skyscraper in downtown" mentality that some people tend to think is what drives development projects.

Old 05-23-2008, 01:23 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,630,016 times
HEB has an excellent track record of making smart building decisions. It is not that the Austin site was chosen to snub SA, it is probably just that their research indicated that it might work, and they also found a location that seemed to work/was priced right. No telling what all they consider, but I do have to say that they rarely make a move w/o knowing it has a very good chance of success. Their market research probably has not indicated that a new format store in SA would generate as much money per dollar invested as in Austin. It is all in ROI....there may be a postive ROI in one city, but an even larger one in another. Austin is definitely less HEB saturated (for the moment) than SA, so I suspect that has a lot to do with it, as well as the increase in downtown condos going up w/o very many good grocery choices.

Btw, HEB doesn't have any shareholders, so they can really do ANYthing they want .

Old 05-23-2008, 01:41 PM

21 posts, read 20,512 times
Quote:
My gosh, you'll find anything to complain about, huh? lol

There's so making factors that go into building a multi million dollar high rise condo.

Koontz-McCombs firstly had to deal with a tenacious zoning issue that took a lot of time to get through. Then you have due diligence. Then you have the design process that can sometimes take almost a year. Then you financing for the construction. Then you have the time line.

Where you think it's as simple as 1-2-3 build it's not.

Old 05-23-2008, 02:55 PM

6 posts, read 4,497 times
I spoke with someone at the top level HEB management...they told me that they just don't think San Antonio has the demographics to support another Central Market, hence why DFW has four Central Markets and Austin has two. Houston only has one as well, but I just don't understand why San Antonio only has one, especially considering that HEB is based here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio