Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 03:01 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_sad View Post
I spoke with someone at the top level HEB management...they told me that they just don't think San Antonio has the demographics to support another Central Market, hence why DFW has four Central Markets and Austin has two. Houston only has one as well, but I just don't understand why San Antonio only has one, especially considering that HEB is based here.
Are you saying that you don't believe demographics should enter into the decision or that you don't believe that the argument that the demographics don't justify adding another CM?

Personally, I've found that the HEB Plus store at 1604 and Blanco has all of the elements of a Central Market store that I would ever want. I would not shop very often at a store with the limited selection of staple items and grocery products that I see at the Central Market on Broadway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 03:07 PM

4,147 posts, read 8,003,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
Are you saying that you don't believe demographics should enter into the decision or that you don't believe that the argument that the demographics don't justify adding another CM?

Personally, I've found that the HEB Plus store at 1604 and Blanco has all of the elements of a Central Market store that I would ever want. I would not shop very often at a store with the limited selection of staple items and grocery products that I see at the Central Market on Broadway.
Iv got to agree with Bowie here. When we go to Central Market it is for a few select things. It is a pain to shop their if you are trying to buy everyday things.

Dallas also has 4 million more people than us. So don't feel bad they have more stores.

Old 05-23-2008, 03:10 PM

6 posts, read 4,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post

I'm simply restating what a top level HEB management person told me. They clearly don't think that the San Antonio could feasibly support another Central Market; if they did, it would be here. And of course demographics should be carefully considered before any business is built anywhere, especially when talking about something like Central Market. They only put them in affluent areas with a certain percentage of college graduates...areas in which a sizeable percentage of the population would be health conscious. Despite being in Southlake and west Plano in Dallas...two extremely affluent suburbs, CM marketing research doesn't believe the Stone Oak area, Shavano Park area or Dominion area could support another Central Market at this time. Personally, I think they could and don't really get it.

Old 05-23-2008, 03:50 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,052,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_sad View Post
I'm simply restating what a top level HEB management person told me. They clearly don't think that the San Antonio could feasibly support another Central Market; if they did, it would be here. And of course demographics should be carefully considered before any business is built anywhere, especially when talking about something like Central Market. They only put them in affluent areas with a certain percentage of college graduates...areas in which a sizeable percentage of the population would be health conscious. Despite being in Southlake and west Plano in Dallas...two extremely affluent suburbs, CM marketing research doesn't believe the Stone Oak area, Shavano Park area or Dominion area could support another Central Market at this time. Personally, I think they could and don't really get it.
That my point to the T. Shavano Park, Stone Oak or Dominion could definitely support a Central Market. The CM in Austin are definitely not in upscale areas, so what gives? I guess that why we need competition in the market here.

On the Hilde/Broadway condo which will probably be complete in 2011, I know this is SA but it is a slow developing project.

Old 05-23-2008, 03:59 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
That my point to the T. Shavano Park, Stone Oak or Dominion could definitely support a Central Market. The CM in Austin are definitely not in upscale areas, so what gives?
Stone Oak already has its Central Market. It's inside the HEB Plus at 1604 and Blanco. Seriously.

Old 05-23-2008, 06:11 PM

46 posts, read 151,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post

Btw, HEB doesn't have any shareholders, so they can really do ANYthing they want .
Not to nitpick, but HEB does have shareholders, just not public ones.

Old 05-24-2008, 07:11 AM

The HEB Plus store is not a CM subsitute for Stone Oak area. The bottom line is that other area can support a CM in San Antonio. I gues whne Trader's Joe or someother store goes in they will do something. It would be a great idea fior HEB to put a similar like market on the East, South and West side of SA to introduce the populace to good nutrition (similar to the Fiesta stores in Houston and Austin)

Old 05-24-2008, 07:33 AM

Quote:
The HEB Plus store is not a CM subsitute for Stone Oak area.
Now why do you say that? Take a look at the merchandise mix in that store and note how many Central Market branded items are available there. Also note how much organic produce is stocked in the produce department. Next, take a look at the prepared foods section and see how many of the same items are in the case at that store which are carried at CM.

If Stone Oakers want a store with that kind of merchandise that's closer to the scale of CM, they have that at the Sun Harvest location at 1604 and 281.

The premise that there's no equivalent for CM close to Stone Oak is flawed.

Old 05-27-2008, 04:25 PM

Why does everyone I talk to who lives in SO, Encino/ Bulverde /Evans rd area want that type of store. Many wants a Trader Jack to come in

Old 05-27-2008, 04:33 PM

4,147 posts, read 8,003,007 times
Quote:
Why does everyone I talk to who lives in SO, Encino/ Bulverde /Evans rd area want that type of store. Many wants a Trader Jack to come in
What are you talking about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio