Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 03:54 PM

57 posts, read 159,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybugs View Post
La Vernia is a small town with a big heart. If you go to the location around town and evens. We will open up to. I marriage into a family that have lived here for over 100th years. A great place to be.
Um, yeah. Well that about sums it up! La Vernia is actually a very great place to raise kids (friendly people, little to no crime, good schools with small teacher-student ratios, and lots of land and livestock.) However, it offers little in the way of conveniences and entertainment. (We have relatives in both La Vernia and Floresville.) The closest grocery store (HEB) is in Floresville, which is 15-25 mins. from La Vernia. There are a few convenience stores, gas stations, and churches and some other small businesses, but that's about it. The closest thing to entertainment is cow tipping on a Friday night and watching the alfalfa grow. Floresville and Seguin have much more to offer. It all depends on what's important to you and your family. Good luck in whatever you decide!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 06:26 PM

4,147 posts, read 8,003,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwood64 View Post
Um, yeah. Well that about sums it up! La Vernia is actually a very great place to raise kids (friendly people, little to no crime, good schools with small teacher-student ratios, and lots of land and livestock.) However, it offers little in the way of conveniences and entertainment. (We have relatives in both La Vernia and Floresville.) The closest grocery store (HEB) is in Floresville, which is 15-25 mins. from La Vernia. There are a few convenience stores, gas stations, and churches and some other small businesses, but that's about it. The closest thing to entertainment is cow tipping on a Friday night and watching the alfalfa grow. Floresville and Seguin have much more to offer. It all depends on what's important to you and your family. Good luck in whatever you decide!
La Vernia also has their own family run grocery center. There about 20 restaurants in and around La Vernia ranging from Mexican to pizza to a donut shop.

Old 07-10-2009, 06:40 PM

44 posts, read 119,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybugs View Post
La Vernia is a small town with a big heart. If you go to the location around town and evens. We will open up to. I marriage into a family that have lived here for over 100th years. A great place to be.
Hi there well i soon will be moving and i was checking up on this place and it sounds like something i would like ..... wondering though about shopping ??? crimes?? and elementary schools for the moment ??
Anyone please ...??? i would be moving there as early as aug 2009 !
i was considering moving into the Rio Grande Valley but had a quick change of mind,..
I would like to move to a country place like is this like that ?? please advise
Thanx !
(hoping people still come into this thread !)

Old 07-10-2009, 06:43 PM

44 posts, read 119,612 times
OPPPS guess i should've kept reading before posting ... srry !

Old 06-29-2010, 04:53 PM

3 posts, read 8,267 times
Default La Vernia Texas

Small Town with big Heart but San Antonio is starting to notice us. We do have a few subdivisions that are located out of the the city limits. Most people do not live within the census counted city limited. We currently live in a community about 2 miles from town and LOVE it. We just have an HEB (grocery store) and other than that there is a Dollar General, Family Dollar, lots of Mexican Resturants and a large amount of churchs. The schools are still small enough that your child is know by name and if they get in trouble, you will more than likely know before they get home. The subdivision vary on the size of the lots from 1/2 arce to 5 acres, if you want to live alittle farther out more arceage is availble. Its a high school sports town and other than that not tons of thing for kids to do. Lots of custom homes. There is a La Vernia Website for the school and for the town. It a very quiet and friendly place to live.

Old 06-29-2010, 05:01 PM

Default La Vernia Texas

Crime very minimial and very country to answer your question. We been in or around "LV" for over 23 years. I have kids for 3 yr old to 23 yr old, I would raise them anywhere else. It is growing but still has the small town aqppeal.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:22 PM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,734,970 times
There is a brand new HEB that just opend in the last week or two..And, if you want prety good BBQ, try Norm's DaSmoke a few miles from LaVernia towards San Antonio

Old 07-14-2010, 07:44 AM

Default correct my statement

[quote=nenushka;9703765]. SORRY. I can't figure out how to edit my post. It should say I would NOT raise my children any where else.

Old 01-04-2015, 07:33 AM

2 posts, read 2,684 times
Any new info on La Vernia? We're thinking of building in that area and it appears there is growth with several subdivisions going up. We like the amount of land you can get and can see there aren't a ton of amenities yet, but it seems San Antonio will be inching that way. Any advice appreciated. Schools not a factor. Will be working at Port San Antonio and Fort Sam. Thanks.

Old 01-04-2015, 07:50 AM

4,437 posts, read 5,349,686 times
They are going to expand the HEB which is already larger than some of the San Antonio counter parts in the chain. They just added Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, Wingstop, Whataburger, and will be adding Wal-Mart and a few hundred garden homes. They are going to open a few more sub divisions on the eastern and southern parts of the school district. We live in the Alamo Heights area and it only takes ten more minuets to get to LV from Westover Hills due to the favorable traffic out there. ( a little further than Port SA)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio