Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 05:47 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,362,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywithstick View Post
I saw the pictures and I didn't see the cops do anything wrong. The girls in the pictures are the ones acting indecent if anything. I actually think people are being way too prudish about this and making a huge fuss about nothing! Stories like this wouldn't even make the back page on some city's newspapers. Ohhh someone took funny pictures with cops and put them on myspace!!! Shocking!!!

nice posts Breed RD and Sapphire. I totally agree that this isn't about being prudish. It's called irresponsibility....worse yet, from a few that hold one of the MOST stressful and responsible positions as a public servant. Again...I'm sure their peers are most likely not happy about the rap it gives the good ones.

The fact that this DID make the news tells a lot about this city. The community as a whole expects better from the SAPD for this to be shocking! And because of that, we have fewer dirty cops than maybe some of the mega cities who really would think this was nothing because of a much worse crime rate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2008, 10:20 PM

385 posts, read 626,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
LOL @ putting all the blame on the slutty chicks. Because those are the types of women who get themselves raped, pregnant, and in all sorts of trouble......nope, no blame goes to the men. Whatev.

It's not a case of people being prudish. It's a picture of someone's obvious lack of judgment--that "someone" being a cop is where most people have a problem.
Woah. Seriously? Way to misconstrue my text and make up assertions about things I didn't even say! Project much?

Old 11-26-2008, 10:24 PM

385 posts, read 626,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
I'm guessing boywithstick is probably pretty young because that sounded like something a young person without much professional experience would say. Not trying to slam him, but a persons age and experience will probably influence their view of the subject. I did 20 years in the Navy and was constantly reminded that we were ambassadors wherever we went. That's why I view a police officer doing something like this as unproffesional and they might want to rethink their chosen line of work, or at least gain some professionalism, common sense, and maturity.
First of all, you don't know anything about me or my maturity level. Secondly, did you see the pics??? The cops are just standing there while the women around them take pics (notice I said women sapphire...not sluts like *you* referred to them!) It just seems like harmless fun to me. What were the cops supposed to do? Take their camera away and break it? Arrest the women?

Old 11-26-2008, 10:40 PM

Quote:
First of all, you don't know anything about me or my maturity level. Secondly, did you see the pics??? The cops are just standing there while the women around them take pics (notice I said women sapphire...not sluts like *you* referred to them!) It just seems like harmless fun to me. What were the cops supposed to do? Take their camera away and break it? Arrest the women?
BWS....hey....we all see things differently. I saw the pics on the news...not online. One picture showed one of these "ladies" bending down with the handcuffs in her teeth. And another with their jacket on. Now what responsible cop would allow things to go that far? Not to mention it was dark and these two guys must have seen a flash or six as the pics were being taken. Call a cab maybe? Do what they are trained to do and secure the situation before it got out of control. These two were flat out being irresponsible IN UNIFORM. Period. They are trained to know how to handle this kind of thing....and they didn't. And they got caught with their pants down (almost). Yep...it could have been worse....but why was it this bad at all. It definitely wasn't "nothing".

Old 11-26-2008, 10:50 PM

262 posts, read 1,042,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
LOL @ putting all the blame on the slutty chicks. Because those are the types of women who get themselves raped, pregnant, and in all sorts of trouble......nope, no blame goes to the men. Whatev.

It's not a case of people being prudish. It's a picture of someone's obvious lack of judgment--that "someone" being a cop is where most people have a problem.
LoL so if I park a brand new Mercedes in the middle of the ghetto, it's all the theif's fault right? Or maybe I should take a little responsibility as well for putting myself in that situation?

The photos were not professional, and simply show a case of bad judgment. They should be talked to, but that's it. There is nothing "shocking" about them, certainly not enough to put it on the news in my opinion. The issue is minor and should have been handled internally.

Old 11-26-2008, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguar5822 View Post
LoL so if I park a brand new Mercedes in the middle of the ghetto, it's all the theif's fault right? Or maybe I should take a little responsibility as well for putting myself in that situation?

The photos were not professional, and simply show a case of bad judgment. They should be talked to, but that's it. There is nothing "shocking" about them, certainly not enough to put it on the news in my opinion. The issue is minor and should have been handled internally.
You know Jag....I might agree with you if they hadn't been published on a public domain. Unfortunately, the internet has become a place to air everyone's dirty laundry. NO ONE is immune to it. If these pics had been sent to the station or even the newspaper for scrutiny, they may have gotten a slap on the hand. The issue is the forum in which they were placed. It's just too public for them NOT to let the community know that they are dealing with it.

If you want to park your Mercedes in a risky place and allow some bystander to post directions to it on their website, then maybe you'd be on the same playing field. Either circumstance is asking for trouble.

Old 11-26-2008, 11:38 PM

1,366 posts, read 4,486,490 times
Quote:
i'm sorry, but i have to completely disagree with you --- are the cops standing there? yes...are they innocently standing there? no...these officers knew what these women were doing, they saw the pictures being taken, they took their jackets off, they allowed their handcuffs to be placed in mouths...

it may be harmless fun to the women, as they were the ones taking the pictures, but it should not be treated as harmless fun by the officers...they should have had the sense enough to put a stop to it once they saw that the pictures were being taken to another level...

the officers were on duty, if they were off duty it is one thing, but on duty it is unacceptable...these men are public figures, representing San Antonio, and with the uniform comes responsibility, plain and simple...these men are standing out in public in uniform with locals as well as tourists walking around them...is this really the image that they should be projecting???

pictures like these can lead to many things...what if one of these ladies later tries to say that things got out of hand, off camera, they were followed by the officers and were taken advantage of??? --- then there is a lawsuit that follows...don't think that stuff like this happens??? it does...dh has plenty of stories of officers being called in for questioning because of what were supposed to be "innocent pictures"...

i'm sorry, but i think there are certain jobs that require one to have more tact...especially if that job involves wearing a uniform, badge, gun and the words "San Antonio Police Department"...

Old 11-27-2008, 12:34 AM

262 posts, read 1,042,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
You know Jag....I might agree with you if they hadn't been published on a public domain. Unfortunately, the internet has become a place to air everyone's dirty laundry. NO ONE is immune to it. If these pics had been sent to the station or even the newspaper for scrutiny, they may have gotten a slap on the hand. The issue is the forum in which they were placed. It's just too public for them NOT to let the community know that they are dealing with it.
Many people do have their myspace accounts on private allowing only their friends to access it, and the news said they couldn't even find the account where the pictures came from, so it's not like the whole city had already seen them. It's wrong to change the punishment for a public servant depending on if the public knows about the incident or not, but if they do get punished more because it was on the news, then the news should be ashamed of themselves, as well as whoever felt it was better to give the pictures to the news instead of one of the higher ups at a police station.

Old 11-27-2008, 06:08 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,021,548 times
They've been temporarily reassigned, so apparently McManus agrees that the photos were out of line.

McManus said an officer's punishment for such a violation could range from a reprimand to a three-day suspension.

So, big deal, they take their licks (as they should) and get back to work--it's not career-ending.

Also from the same article:

Police officers are held to a higher standard than others and a litany of rules bars them from engaging in conduct unbecoming to the department.

'nuff said.

Racy photos land cops in hot water (http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/Racy_photos_race_around_landing_cops_in_hot_water. html - broken link)

Old 11-27-2008, 08:55 AM

4,147 posts, read 8,000,189 times
The thought with their little brain. They should assign them desk work for a while. They don't need to be fired but disciplined.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio