U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-10-2009, 07:01 PM
 
Location: Texas
204 posts, read 862,678 times
Reputation: 213

Advertisements

Should any city have an MLS team?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-10-2009, 07:46 PM
 
Location: Potranco/1604
358 posts, read 720,618 times
Reputation: 205
It's funny how soccer is perceived in the U.S. Very popular for kids to play, but when they become teenagers and older, the vast majority lose interest. I think it's good exercise, but that's about it. It's rather boring to watch...I'd rather watch golf. And it's no comparison at all to hockey. Hockey is way more exciting and has fights, too. 'Course I grew up in upstate NY, where you're an outcast if you don't like hockey! Go Clinton Comets (defunct since the 70's, but they were good)!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2009, 08:36 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX via San Antonio, TX
6,114 posts, read 8,569,695 times
Reputation: 3360
Quote:
Originally Posted by DManXXXII View Post
Ok, i am new to this city, and i am guessing Mr. Garza is or was the city mayor. I think that San Antonio being the 8th or 7th most populated city in the U.S. deserves at least one more sports franchise. MLS is a growing league, getting bigger than the NHL now, and it is getting harder and more expensive to acquire a tam from this league.
There was a point in time when Ed Garza tried, unsuccessfully to woo the MLS to the city. It was one of his pet projects towards the end of his second term.

If I remember correctly, we used one of our stadiums (the Alamodome) to host a few MLS games (was it the Chivas or Chivas USA?) and it was an alright event, but nothing to spectacular. It was like exhibition games that been hype and bring in a bit of money to the economy, but it wasn't a big enough boost to be a good investment for the MLS or for the city.

You'd think that with the demographics of the city we could sustain one like DFW, but I've been to a MLS game in Dallas and it wasn't all it was cracked up to be. There were some die hard fans and then the casual, well there's nothing to do tonight so let's go to the game...kind of people. I think that's how it would be in San Antonio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2009, 09:42 PM
 
15,062 posts, read 19,586,733 times
Reputation: 12214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontifikate View Post
As much as I don't care for Hockey, MLS isn't even close to the NHL in terms of skill or popularity.
I've noticed that people's reaction towards soccer is always very positive or very negative (sometimes hateful and disrespectful)

Why compare hockey with soccer?
Should we go ahead and compare Nascar with Formula 1? football with rugby?

Any sport is boring if you don't know much about it
If narrators can make poker, cheerleading and Nascar exciting,
I don't see why they couldn't make soccer exciting.

BTW, an MLS team could easily play in the Alamo Stadium which is located right in the center of the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2009, 09:53 PM
 
199 posts, read 596,809 times
Reputation: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I've noticed that people's reaction towards soccer is always very positive or very negative (sometimes hateful and disrespectful)

Why compare hockey with soccer?
Should we go ahead and compare Nascar with Formula 1? football with rugby?

Any sport is boring if you don't know much about it
If narrators can make poker, cheerleading and Nascar exciting,
I don't see why they couldn't make soccer exciting.

BTW, an MLS team could easily play in the Alamo Stadium which is located right in the center of the city.
I'm comparing the NHL with MLS not soccer as a whole. I know those Premier leagues and La Liga in Spain and the German league are all top notch. I'm not talking about those leagues, I am only talking about the MLS in America. The MLS would get destroyed by any Euro team and even some South American leaues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2009, 07:16 AM
 
Location: San Antonio
399 posts, read 1,026,947 times
Reputation: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
You'd think that with the demographics of the city we could sustain one like DFW, but I've been to a MLS game in Dallas and it wasn't all it was cracked up to be. There were some die hard fans and then the casual, well there's nothing to do tonight so let's go to the game...kind of people. I think that's how it would be in San Antonio.
I think FC Dallas made a big mistake by putting their soccer-specific stadium way out in the suburbs and catering to the young soccer crowd only. The Houston Dynamo are a big draw currently playing at UH's Robertson stadium just outside downtown and they will be building a soccer-specific stadium on the east side of downtown. I really think a stadium needs to cater to the city as a whole and adult soccer fans, not just the soccer mom set.

I think soccer in central SA would be as successful as soccer in suburban Dallas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2009, 09:04 AM
 
15,062 posts, read 19,586,733 times
Reputation: 12214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontifikate View Post
I'm comparing the NHL with MLS not soccer as a whole.
Ok, itís that as a soccer player/fan, Iíve had to hear a lot of ÖÖ. about soccer from some people that seem to hate it with a passion.
Thanks for the explanation.

I would think a lot of people would support soccer in San Antonio, thatís just based on our demographics and proximity to a soccer loving country.
And thereís no need to build a stadium because Alamo Stadium is perfect (size, location).

Iím gonna keep an eye on the Austin Aztex (2nd division) and see how they do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2009, 09:11 AM
 
199 posts, read 596,809 times
Reputation: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Ok, itís that as a soccer player/fan, Iíve had to hear a lot of ÖÖ. about soccer from some people that seem to hate it with a passion.
Thanks for the explanation.

I would think a lot of people would support soccer in San Antonio, thatís just based on our demographics and proximity to a soccer loving country.
And thereís no need to build a stadium because Alamo Stadium is perfect (size, location).

Iím gonna keep an eye on the Austin Aztex (2nd division) and see how they do.

I just don't think soccer as a whole in the USA can succeed with first class leagues in Europe and South America that draw the best players in the world including some of our American guys like Landon Donovan. We need to bring the talent here so people can watch, it's like having the NBA with no Kobe Bryant, Tim Duncan, Lebron James or Dwayne Wade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2009, 09:38 AM
 
674 posts, read 1,615,318 times
Reputation: 381
I hadn't been following any of the NFL threads, but I read that the Alamodome was actually designed to be a football stadium. So why would it be impossible to have an NFL team?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2009, 09:47 AM
 
Location: San Antonio
6 posts, read 11,836 times
Reputation: 11
I disagree...with the large Hispanic population we have in San Antonio - Soccer is BIG! I know..I'm a parent who is busy every week with my 2 children and soccer...and forget the weekends! We spend time participating in tournaments. I agree - it's time that the nation recognizes San Antonio as a place worthy of a national sports team (in addition to the SPURS - and why not soccer (since Texas already has enough football teams)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top