Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2009, 03:43 PM

12,114 posts, read 15,011,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
just press the quote button on the post you want to quote and type under it

how about this view then? If every parent drives their kids to school, they are increasing the number of vehicles on the roads. Then lets say there is a 1:5000 chance of getting in a wreck on any given day (totally made up ratio and I have no clue what it is). By adding the additional number of vehicles to the road you are increasing the odds of getting in an accident and one of those unlucky individuals could be you and your child.
A school bus is a big old giant piece of yellow steel with a lot of flashing lights. They drive slow and everyone sees them out there, that's why they rarely get in accidents and when they do, they are built to handle them much more than any smaller vehicle on the road. So not only are you cutting back on oil usage and cutting back on pollution, but you are also adding to the odds that you will be there with your child tomorrow and that's a good thing
I would be on the raod anyway if I was going to work but instead I was going to the school.! ha! take that! ha ha

Old 07-22-2009, 03:51 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,400,668 times
Russians are also an issue and they'll be on the needs to be nuked list soon enough, but the chinese are at the top of the list. They're just pure evil and one giant society of it. If you don't agree, look at what happened when the party leadership was called a bunch of thugs a while back. They definitely are, but they don't enjoy any bad press. Kinda sounds exaclty like someone else I know...

and the kids that have to walk to class are a different issue and obviously require a different solution. My kids had to do it in San Diego and it worked well, so I know it can be done. First thing that needs to happen is they need sidewalks the entire way. I never understood why a lack of sidewalks are an issue here, but then again there's that whole corruption at every level of government here between developers and "leaders". They also need to walk in a large mass. It was never just a couple of kids out alone, it was a huge train of them. You could see them from far away and you knew that you needed to be careful around them and everyone was. Plus there were plenty of police officers around waiting for anyone to break the norm. The best thing about this was you didn't have anywhere near as much traffic because you didn't have all the parents driving their kids to school. The only ones I ever saw waiting at the school in my neighborhood were people that could've definitely used the exercise. Their minivans were always tilted to one side and they were inside with the engines running and a/c cranking. This was San Diego and everyone that has been there knows that's just retarded over there, except for the couple days when the heat goes absolutely bonkers. I'm sure there is no shortage of minivan people here too and of course they have to have their a/c on in this heat. Maybe we can just levy a special tax on those people and use that to pay for all the bailouts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper1 View Post
I would be on the raod anyway if I was going to work but instead I was going to the school.! ha! take that! ha ha
wait, so you weren't working and just driving the kids to school? or you drove them on your way to school? if was the latter, then no issue there. If it was the fiirst one, then I'll quote my grandpa "if dog rabbit".

Old 07-22-2009, 04:23 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,827,850 times
Default "Yo Quiero Taco Bell" dog dead at 15.

She charmed millions without ever saying a word — and managed to make fast-food tacos adorable. Gidget, the Chihuahua best known for her Taco Bell ad campaign (and her famous overdubbed tagline, "Yo quiero Taco Bell"), died from a stroke on Tuesday night at age 15.

Adios, Chihuahua! Taco Bell dog dead at 15

Old 07-22-2009, 04:31 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,715,840 times
I'll be damned...the New York Times finally put out a decent editorial a few days ago. They said the Iraq War may not be so bad after all...

I still don’t know if this Afghan war makes sense anymore. I was dubious before I arrived, and I still am. But when you see two little Afghan girls crouched on the front steps of their new school, clutching tightly with both arms the notebooks handed to them by a U.S. admiral — as if they were their first dolls — it’s hard to say: “Let’s just walk away.” Not yet.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/19/op...dman.html?_r=1

Old 07-22-2009, 04:50 PM

905 posts, read 2,960,611 times
Quote:
I disagree...I drove my daughter to and from school for 11 years ( which is why think the traffic is higher during the school months.) I wouldn't trade all the oil in the country for the time spent with my child.

The school boundary thing is a whole other matter ( to me )
I disagree, too. I drove and am still driving my daughter to and from school and will be until she graduates. She goes to a magnet school and tried taking the bus, but the bus service provided by her home high school gets her there too late. The afternoon bus driver drove like a bat out of hell and scared her every time. Most of the time they got there late, so I don't know what the problem was. Bus riding didn't last more than a week.

My son was driven to school through this year. We had chosen 'school choice' which meant you had to drive your kiddo to school. Prior to that, they were both in private school, which had no bus service. This coming year, he will take the bus, if it is convenient to his schedule (band practices), otherwise, I'll be providing taxi service again.

One friend of mine tried letting her kids ride the bus. They had to catch the bus around 6:55 in the morning, which considering daylight savings time, was before sunrise! She wasn't about to let her kindergarten age daughter stand out on a street corner by herself (new subdivision, not many kids) in the dark and wait for a bus. Lucky for her, the boss allowed her to change her start time to accommodate her needs.

Like Camper1 said, there is no price you can put on spending that extra time in the morning and afternoon with your child/children. Now that my daughter has a learner's permit, she will be doing some extra drive time!

Last edited by catriona; 07-22-2009 at 05:10 PM..

Old 07-22-2009, 04:54 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,400,668 times
so this basically means traffic is about to start sucking again soon...

Old 07-22-2009, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catriona View Post
I disagree, too. I drove and am still driving my daughter to and from school and will be until she graduates. She goes to a magnet school and tried taking the bus, but the bus service provided by her home high school gets her there too late. The afternoon bus driver drove like a bat out of hell and scared her every time. Most of the time they got there late, so I don't know what the problem was. Bus riding didn't last more than a week.

My son was driven to school through this year. We had chosen 'school choice' which meant you had to drive your kiddo to school. Prior to that, they were both in private school, which had no bus service. This coming year, he will take the bus, if it is convenient to his schedule (band practices), otherwise, I'll be providing taxi service again.

Like Camper1 said, there is no price you can put on spending that extra time in the morning and afternoon with your child/children. Now that my daughter has a learner's permit, she will be doing some extra drive time!
Exactly! ha ha. Rd, you can not win against the moms of the world.

We also used that last year as drivers training.

Old 07-22-2009, 05:00 PM

3,111 posts, read 9,211,052 times
Quote:
Exactly! ha ha. Rd, you can not win against the moms of the world.

We also used that last year as drivers training.
Oh those driver's training days. There was NOTHING about that in the pregnancy book .

I think that is where most of my grey hairs came from.

Old 07-22-2009, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXtrkgrl View Post
Oh those driver's training days. There was NOTHING about that in the pregnancy book .

I think that is where most of my grey hairs came from.
and you get to do it again, right? ha ha

Old 07-22-2009, 05:24 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,042,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXtrkgrl View Post
There was NOTHING about that in the pregnancy book .
Yeah, I need to talk to that guy myself. Jerk. Just like thong underwear, you know the pregnancy books come from a man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio