Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2009, 10:24 AM

427 posts, read 1,174,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules07 View Post
Have you tried contacting Nintendo? My son's xBox got the "black screen of death" ~ he called Microsoft, they sent him an email that contained a pre-paid mailing label, he boxed it up and we dropped it off at the nearest UPS store, and literally in about 3 days the FedEx guy delivered it (repaired). Our guess is that because they want to continue to sell the games and the "live" subscriptions and all, they're happy to keep the consoles working. Ya might try it.
Certainly worth a try, thanks so much for the info!

My son is not happy with me

Old 08-26-2009, 10:25 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXtrkgrl View Post
I would like to hear reviews on Wii Fit???
It's loads of fun for a few weeks until the novelty wears off. Ours now sits collecting dust.

I recently heard of a pro baseball player who used it as part of his offseason workouts. He claims he was able to stay in shape and drop a few pounds.

Old 08-26-2009, 11:20 AM

3,770 posts, read 8,293,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlamoCpl View Post
Certainly worth a try, thanks so much for the info!

My son is not happy with me
If you bought the system from a Walmart, Target, any reputable retail store, it should have a warranty on it as long as no one has tried to open it up on their own. Def contact Nintendo directly, they should be able to help you out. Dont even mention you laid it down flat (not that should have anything to do with it) just tell them it has been freezes up for no apparent reason. How old is it btw?

The "red ring of death" was a complete Microsoft disaster. People were returning them to the retailers and MS wasnt accepting them back from the retailer.

Old 08-26-2009, 12:17 PM

3,109 posts, read 9,840,568 times
Have you noticed how Hollywood and New York have been picking on Texas lately? Great Debaters showed Texas prejudice in the 30's and just recently I saw the biograph of Ernie Davis of Syracuse. The showcase was the National Champioship game in the Cotton Bowl in 1960. It showed Texas and Dallas to be highly prejudiced. Made Texas look bad. How about a movie how in 2009, country clubs in New York are not allowing black people. We've learned from our past mistakes, some in the north still haven't learned.

Old 08-26-2009, 02:52 PM

427 posts, read 1,174,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perticusrex View Post
If you bought the system from a Walmart, Target, any reputable retail store, it should have a warranty on it as long as no one has tried to open it up on their own. Def contact Nintendo directly, they should be able to help you out. Dont even mention you laid it down flat (not that should have anything to do with it) just tell them it has been freezes up for no apparent reason. How old is it btw?
To be honest if it didn't have little rubber feet on the bottom of it, suggesting that it can be laid flat, I would never have thought to do that.

It's just over a year old so I'm not sure there's much we can do about it, but I'm certainly going to try.

Thanks.

Old 08-26-2009, 03:39 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,618,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gy2020 View Post
Have you noticed how Hollywood and New York have been picking on Texas lately? Great Debaters showed Texas prejudice in the 30's and just recently I saw the biograph of Ernie Davis of Syracuse. The showcase was the National Champioship game in the Cotton Bowl in 1960. It showed Texas and Dallas to be highly prejudiced. Made Texas look bad. How about a movie how in 2009, country clubs in New York are not allowing black people. We've learned from our past mistakes, some in the north still haven't learned.
Ok, really. Do you really think Hollywood and New York are "picking" on Texas? Simply because they created two movies that are HISTORICALLY ACCURATE about racism in Texas? Really?

And frankly, racism is alive and well everywhere. It isn't just a Texas issue - of course not - but to say that Texas is no longer racist just isn't true.

Old 08-26-2009, 04:33 PM

3,109 posts, read 9,840,568 times
Linda Grace, please note:

Davis found racism prevalent in the American South during his Cotton Bowl visit. Author Jocelyn Selim writes that at the banquet following the 1960 game, Davis was told he could only accept his award and then would be required to leave the segregated facility. Davis refused and his teammates, nearly all of them white, boycotted the banquet.[3]
A different account of the banquet is given by John Brown. He was Davis' teammate at Syracuse and on the Cleveland Browns, his roommate and a close friend. According to an article in the Houston Chronicle, all the players from the game attended the banquet. Brown recalls that the teams sat on opposite sides of the room. After everyone ate and the trophies were handed out, the three black Syracuse players, including Brown and Davis were asked to leave and were taken to another party in Dallas by local NAACP representatives. One Syracuse player, Ger Schwedes, recommended that the whole Syracuse team leave the banquet to show solidarity with their black teammates, but the suggestion was overruled by Syracuse officials. When the Chronicle asked Brown "whether the film is a truthful portrayal of his friend, Brown said... in short, no."[4]

Just goes to show the Hollywood axiom, "Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story". If you haven't seen it, it starts out showing Texas and Syracuse and then comes back to it in the story. I don't want to ruin the story but it is pretty derogatory of Texas team and the state as a whole. Typical stereo type from the elitist of east coast and west coast. I bet they hate it that everyone is moving here and abandoning their states.

If you can overlook the treatment of our state, the rest of the movie was pretty good. It's sad that Ernie Davis got leukemia and died.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernie_Davis

Old 08-26-2009, 05:46 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,618,137 times
Hey, thanks for the Wikipedia lecture! LOVE the use of a site anyone can add to as a source.

I don't think Hollywood or New York were saying Texas is currently a bad place to live. They were showing Texas as it probably was in large part in the '60s (and in the '30s in the case of the other movie).

I live in Texas. I'm not a Texan. I do love living here, but it isn't perfect, and it never has been. Texas was a slave state with all that entails. It's a fact. That racism is alive and well (again, not just in Texas but everywhere) is also a fact.

You can say all you want that Texas isn't like that anymore, but that just isn't true. OF COURSE it's better, but racism still happens.

I'm going to rent both those movies (I've seen the Debaters but want to see it again) so thanks for the recs.

Old 08-26-2009, 09:20 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,395,601 times
never confine the Wii (or any computer/game console) in a small space. They get hot and need to breathe. I have the Fit and it's fun, but it doesn't get used much at all.

Old 08-26-2009, 09:35 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,713,148 times
Back for a little while. I'm exhausted. It seems cooler today...or am I that tired?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio