Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2012, 08:24 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,434,187 times

Advertisements

DW great post, I remember as kid going to a dept store to buy a TV with my parents and man they told you everything you wanted to know and more. It seems now a days nobody cares about that, very sad but it the way of the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 07:15 AM

2,721 posts, read 4,391,187 times
Default Desk top computers,

I have also heard that desk top computers will be obsolete soon.
Deferring to your statement above about electronic products all being made in the same factory, I think this is very true.
I have a physical therapist who immigrated from India. Sanjay visits
India every few years or so. While on his last visit his brother offered, he explained about a month ago to me, to take him to a shop where clothing is made during one of his visits so he could buy some.
After Sanjay made his choice of trousers to purchase there the shop owner asked him which label he wanted put on them.
"Levis, Polo, whatever label you want can be put on them."
What, I said ?
"Oh Yes " Sanjay told me and then, said, anything electronic manufactured over there with the Apple logo on it has $500.00 added to its' price.
"They are all made in the same factory."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwangle View Post
When I was growing up in the sixties you had to decide what you wanted. Every TV every radio every Stereo or record player every guitar every washer was made by a different manufacturer. You also needed a store that would provide you with service and parts and repairs. Now days everything is made in the same factories with the same parts and most are not worth repairing. The technology is mostly unrepairable anyway. Buying online works because you don't have to evaluate your decision before buying. All you need is the cheapest price. I miss the old day's. I liked listening to stereos and looking at color TV's. Talking shop with the guy's that repaired them. The only place left is desk top computers and I fear their days are numbered too. Gone but not Forgotten!

Old 04-09-2012, 07:34 PM

I also have heard desk tops are starting to be phased out, lets see how long before they disappear.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:15 PM

136 posts, read 331,935 times
Default Wooworth's Lunch

"Downtown -We would eat lunch on stools at the five and dime counter, go to the movies, etc. It was fun."

Huckster, This bring back any memories? Might be too early for you; from about 1953. My favorite was the super deluxe ham sandwich with Kraft Sandwich Spread. It was an every Saturday thing to get on a bus at the corner of Highland and New Braunfels go downtown shopping.

Attached Thumbnails
Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part II-fw_woolworth_co_menu.jpg  

Old 04-13-2012, 07:17 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,047,374 times
That's such an amazing image, thanks for sharing it, Boss Rider.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:37 PM

Thanks for posting the menu, great pic.

Old 04-13-2012, 08:44 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,545,491 times
Huh? No Hamburger? No French Fries? No Onion Rings? Just good healthy Sandwiches?? Egg Salad? Where do you get one of those?

Old 04-14-2012, 01:02 AM

187 posts, read 945,974 times
Abraham Epstein Producer of 1960s ‘iconic West Side sound' dies

Producer of

Old 04-14-2012, 05:52 AM

2,721 posts, read 4,391,187 times
Boss rider, we may have crossed paths downtown s.a. some fifty years ago.
I can't even remember where we caught the bus anymore, but it was in the same
Goliad-New Braunfels area. Later on, I can remember a bus pass was 11 cents
and a transfer was two. Get across town and back for about a quarter.
Yes, you were right, a 1953 Woolworth's menu was way too early for me to have read.
Maybe I have chewed on the corner of one or possibly have tossed it on the floor- that far back.
What I do recall is the is the clutter inside of racks and racks of cheap items for sale all
through the store and the sound of the squeaks the already ancient wooden floors made
when walked on in those downtown stores.
And, how far a dollar stretched. Dad would give me a dollar, well, candy bars were
a nickel and a soda was a dime. I could get very good mileage out of that dollar
at the local Stop and Go.
The everpresent heat, cold watermelon ,the shade of mesquites, the sound of cicadas,
the drive-in movie theaters where the ticket prices at some of these was as cheap as
"$1.50 a carload".
Nowadays we sit in air-conditioned homes and watch round the clock news coverage
at the push of a button on cable t.v. I believe those times, back then, was a better
era for kids to mature in. Kids were far less wised up by twelve years old ,
that was a good thing, it seems.

Last edited by huckster; 04-14-2012 at 07:21 AM..

Old 04-14-2012, 11:06 AM

If I'm right I think the woolworth lunch counters stayed open into the late 80's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio