Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2017, 01:19 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,841,950 times

Advertisements

Haha! After going through the Reservations procedure the truth is finally revealed.....

https://new.trinity.edu/news/skyline...de-reservation

Too bad, it wasn't a bad idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2017, 01:47 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,502,455 times
More fake news!

Old 04-26-2017, 07:21 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,391,907 times
Default Now to be Forgotten in San Antonio,

Between Rancho's post where he went to Trinity U. for an elevator ride and now the new Skyride, practically nothing coming out of Trinity U. is to be believed any more it must be.
Exactly, Like the White House.

Old 05-05-2017, 11:28 AM

1,004 posts, read 1,620,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
Between Rancho's post where he went to Trinity U. for an elevator ride and now the new Skyride, practically nothing coming out of Trinity U. is to be believed any more it must be.
Exactly, Like the White House.
I enjoy playing tennis at Trinity and the campus setting is nice.

Old 05-05-2017, 03:18 PM

Default Did you?

Rancho. Did you videotape a television interview of Henry Cisneros at Trinity U ?

Old 05-05-2017, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Rancho. Did you videotape a television interview of Henry Cisneros at Trinity U ?
I interviewed Henry Cisneros when he was in office many times over the years.
I can't recall at this time if one of them was at Trinity or not.

Mr. Cisneros has an excellent command of Spanish which made it easy for me to
do the interview for the Spanish media.

I also remember him when he was my "Jeffe" at Univision (KWEX) downtown studios.
He was a very easy going guy who enjoyed talking about my VW beetle. He drove
a beetle at one time.

As a news cameraman/reporter, I also interviewed other San Antonio mayors
beginning in the 1980s when I started working for KWEX.The station was located
at 411 E. Durango. Now Cesar Chavez Blvd.
I was fortunate to talk with Mr Chavez when he came to SA.

Henry B.Gonzalez was another that I truly enjoyed interviewing.
But his son Henry Jr., tried really really hard to converse in Spanish.
I can still recall him grinning uncomfortably when he saw me coming with
my news camera. He was very easy to talk to though.

And I miss so much Henry Guerra (WOAI) and that wonderful voice of his.

Last edited by ranchodrive; 05-05-2017 at 04:51 PM..

Old 05-07-2017, 06:27 PM

Default Yes Rancho,

Henry Guerra was remarkable in his role at WOAI. Unforgettable on the S.A. airwaves. As was Bob Guthrie. Those days are gone forever. I used to listen to Bill McReynolds from 12:15 pm until 1:00 in the afternoon- everyday Mon. through Fri.- 45 minutes daily worth of daily weather cast over the radio @ WOAI. It was much more than a weather report. I never missed it.
Now WOAI is but a tin can , for propaganda. Forgettable. Things have slid downhill I think. It used to be a really good radio station.

Old 05-08-2017, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Henry Guerra was remarkable in his role at WOAI. Unforgettable on the S.A. airwaves. As was Bob Guthrie. Those days are gone forever. I used to listen to Bill McReynolds from 12:15 pm until 1:00 in the afternoon- everyday Mon. through Fri.- 45 minutes daily worth of daily weather cast over the radio @ WOAI. It was much more than a weather report. I never missed it.
Now WOAI is but a tin can , for propaganda. Forgettable. Things have slid downhill I think. It used to be a really good radio station.

I grew up listening to all those wonderful folks on radio that you mentioned.

I wonder what the young generation today will have to remember fondly
when they get to be our age.

Like the downtown San Antonio of my youth which is gone but not forgotten.

Old 05-08-2017, 08:54 AM

Default Yes Rancho,

Old San Antonio has always, been behind the rest of the country in many ways.
The- old - WOAI Radio- "The Great Voice of the Great Southwest" as they used to quote on the air-was a hold out from the old era ,from when the radio was the sole news media for country folk; like back in the early twentieth century. A Television signal couldn't reach a great deal of the expansive Texas countryside. However 50,000 watts of electricity broadcast over the airwaves could. A strong signal it was.
I could even pick up a WOAI radio signal over the airwaves in 1976 all the way into the rural areas of Michigan. Late at night. If one could hook up a good receiver (Kenwood or Pioneer) to a tall enough residential Television antennae tower. It was a very remarkable thing to tune one of the old slide dials to 1200 and hear the San Antonio broadcast all the across the country.
Those days are gone. The young people can remember the blubberings of Rush Limbaugh.

I disagree with you Rancho, because I believe that the Center of the City is now better than it was ever before. Is it more crowded down there, of course. Is it glitzier? Yes. Is that better? Some would say yes and others no. Cleaner? Shinier? Yes. The Riverwalk has become a money pit now. It is far more beautiful
than it ever used to be. This is sure. So much to do, remember it used to be void of people during the week
during the mid-sixties on an afternoon. There was not much down there back then.
There is no going back- so may as well like it, as it is. Fact, it was worse place in many ways, because the entire city was a more backwards place. Recall-San Antonio was really a backwards and backwater place for a long time. The Hilton refused to put a Hotel in San Antonio because the company refused to believe
that it would turn a profit. The cattle stockyards and the accompanying rendering plants were downtown
next to the freeway. Truly a cowtown it was because perhaps more cattle went through the downtown area than tourists
Hemisfair began the change of the city into a modern place and there is no looking back. I like it now.
For another thing there was no A\C, recall that. Holy cow were the school classrooms hot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchodrive View Post
I grew up listening to all those wonderful folks on radio that you mentioned.

I wonder what the young generation today will have to remember fondly
when they get to be our age.

Like the downtown San Antonio of my youth which is gone but not forgotten.

Old 05-08-2017, 03:43 PM

^^^^^
I miss San Antonio downtown when the big dept. stores were there as well as the movie theaters.

I’m aware of the details that you pointed out about the old San Antonio and how it used
to be before Hemisfair.
It’s not realistic to think that I want to go back to the way it was.
I was merely reflecting on some places that are gone but not forgotten.

As to whether it’s better now than it was before, I’ll leave that to others to
debate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio