Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2012, 10:41 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
Oh Bernie, I remember when he started a campaign slandering Cisneros. He had a place on Nogalitos and then it tanked after he started talking about Henry. i wonder if he ran thinking nobody would know he was there.
Seems like I heard he got elected as something in a small town here in Texas. I used to laugh when driving past the spot on 281 near ( Foremost dairy or Pearl ) where he supposedly ran across in fear. I called it Bernardo Eureste Trail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 08:03 AM

8,578 posts, read 7,075,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
I've found a few online but most are from my grandfather.....
I hope you keep posting them. They're interesting. Thanks so much for sharing them with the rest of us.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:02 AM

2,721 posts, read 4,391,187 times
Default Fascinating picture of S.A.,

Wow! What a picture! 1900? One can get lost contemplating what was transpiring at the very time it was taken. At least I can. Why is everybody loitering about? The guy with the hat exiting the post office with a bundle? What time of year?
No winter coats , must have been winter or fall.
A light meter is how I learned photography. Through the lens metering was already out by the time I was a teenager but I coudn't afford a new camera as a kid so I had to go with a used one that came with with a hand held light meter.
I learned exposures quickly that way. I am about to update to my first digital 35mm soon. It is great the
new cameras can take video now. Amazing.
A guy pulling a hand truck? Is that a ticket booth in the front of the building entrance ? A phone booth? Too early for a phone booth, I think.
Great post trapper. Downtown has changed so much. Some smaller old cities never change but San Antonio does not sit still does it?

Old 06-19-2012, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Kinda like this

Great photos Trapper...thanks for sharing them. I'd forgotten about that santa on the roof of Joskes. Sure brings back memories.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:54 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,925,997 times
The France Building has a lot of history to it. The second venture I'm aware of was the Adams Express Company. They were a cartage company and also carried mail. A lot of the surrounding people got their mail via the Adams Express. The pic shows when the building was a photography studio and probably the first venture in the building. I don't remember the guys name but he took a lot of historical photos of San Antonio. Most likely, he is the guy that took the pics of the Union Army surrendering to the Confederacy that I have. The pic was taken from the balcony of the building. That would age this photo close to the Civil War. The building also housed the original San Antonio Express newspaper. It was a weekly paper. If you go by the building, you'll find the remains of the old water wheel they used to power the presses. There's a TON of history in San Antonio that most of the old timers aren't aware of. Shame too as it is incredibly colorful. Did you know that 506 S Main was the location of the Old Guilbeau Slave quarters? It's a parking lot now across from Heritage Plaza.

Old 06-21-2012, 01:13 PM

847 posts, read 2,232,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by webmeist View Post

Here's a very similar item to your screwdriver, only it
looks as if yours is just a lot more weathered and someone
over the years used it as a punch or chisel as well.
the well worn condition is what I like most.

as beat over as the handle is, the tip is in good shape.

still trying for more info on the screwdriver

and when HD left 623 Main

here are some pix a friend has in his archives.

he got them from Fred Neuendorff RIP owner of the Harley dealership

above and below is the same group
above is looking to the north on Main
below is looking to the south on Main

next one appears to be somewhere other than 623

below unknown location 1937

mud

Old 06-21-2012, 01:40 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,925,997 times
Obviously some of those bikes are not Harleys. Maybe the Harley dealer also sold Indians. My cousin had an old Indian like the one in your 3rd pic with an inline 4 banger. Dude would run! It was an early 30's YM but zI don't remember the exact year. The bottom pic looks like the old dance hall at Bergheim.

Old 06-21-2012, 02:48 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,391,187 times
Default Still,

I hang on to my 1972 Sportster. Those pictures are something else mudpuddle.
The Harleys look like flathead models.
No Triumphs in there, the speed twin hadn't been manufactured yet.
No Hondas in there either, I don't think I see any.

Old 06-21-2012, 02:59 PM

Super photos Mud! Yep, an Indian on the right for sure. I used to know a guy with an AJS Matchless in the 60's. 500cc one lunger if I recall. Lots of BSA's and Triumph's around back in the 60's. There was an old dirt track scrambles out at Old Pleasanton and 281 south back in the 60's. Thanks for sharing all the great photos guys!

Old 06-21-2012, 06:43 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,434,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
Seems like I heard he got elected as something in a small town here in Texas. I used to laugh when driving past the spot on 281 near ( Foremost dairy or Pearl ) where he supposedly ran across in fear. I called it Bernardo Eureste Trail.
It happened at Lyons Park on broadway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio