Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2013, 11:41 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Forest View Post
Dave do this right now before you forget. Write your name and address and phone number on a piece of paper and put it in your wallet. That's for when you wind up in Arkansas somewhere and can't remember who you are. It'll make it easier on the people that find you....
Fred if I go missing no one is gonna be looking... Here's that photo you wanted or was that ...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 06:25 PM

847 posts, read 2,232,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post

Mud wasn't that Small World Hobby another name before that moved from downtown way back?

Is Garcia's Still open across the street?
Heard they're doing BBQ now instead of Mexican food.
Man they had great carne guisada back in the 70's.

As for Knowlton's my FIL worked there 25 years across I-10 next to Golf Crest.

I found it it's a block away south oh well so much for my memory.

I've been through St Ann's Too. The school part at least.
OK. here we go........

don't know about Small World Hobby downtown.

ate at Garcia's this mornin. excellent as always. been eatin there for 40 plus years.
the old man is alive. and kickin. doesn't come in much anymore.
his sons are runnin the show now. good people.
they are doin barBQ now. butt, no, it's still Mexican.
in fact, this mornin they were loadin up for a BBQ cookoff.

not Golf Crest - Cool Crest.

part of St Ann's was originally the Uptown Theatre. later a gym.

always a Fred Road gem.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *mud* View Post
OK. here we go........

don't know about Small World Hobby downtown.

ate at Garcia's this mornin. excellent as always. been eatin there for 40 plus years.
the old man is alive. and kickin. doesn't come in much anymore.
his sons are runnin the show now. good people.
they are doin barBQ now. butt, no, it's still Mexican.
in fact, this mornin they were loadin up for a BBQ cookoff.

not Golf Crest - Cool Crest.

part of St Ann's was originally the Uptown Theatre. later a gym.

always a Fred Road gem.

Maybe it was Dibble's that started out downtown. Anyhow someone had posted pics of the downtown location once.

Garcia's good stuff ..last time I stopped in was maybe early 80's.

Cool Crest.. yeah I knew.

I knew the Uptown Theater was there before. It was built either just before the Harlandale Theater or just after. Think it was Interstate Theater Co. Never been in the actual theater unless very young. There's the two story school behind it i think. Did some work there once. Long ago.
It's a really nice building..
Been meaning to ask you Mud. Is the actual building Mr Pianta built still there on Fred Rd? ..and was this it?

Google Maps

Great photos by the way, as always.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:14 PM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,734,315 times
Huckster. I graduated from Highlands in 1970, went the Connell and Laura Steele. I remember Culpepper and Coach Martin very well. Culpepper couldn't hurt you, but Coach Martin and Principal Sinclair could. As could math teacher Mr. Jones and science teacher Mr. Schmidt. Mr. Schmidt used to pinch the top of your shoulder if you walked by him. Hurt like hell. Both of these teachers didn't send you to the office, they just took you out in the hall and gave you the spats, as they called them. You could hear them all the way down the halls,

I've been out of here for a while, but I'm back. Got some catching up to do

Old 03-08-2013, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post

There's the two story school behind it i think. Did some work there once. Long ago.

Been meaning to ask you Mud. Is the actual building Mr Pianta built still there on Fred Rd? ..and was this it?

Google Maps

Great photos by the way, as always.
thanx for the compliment on the photos.

what kinda work at St Anns??

yessir the Goggle imaged building is still there.

that was the Pianta Studios starting about 1913.

OK. here we go again.........

before 1913, the studio was here at 509 Leal. Hannibal's Father John, on the left.....

inside the Fred Rd studio. at least 13 folks here. Hannibal in the vest, right rear.

from the San Antonio Light newspaper Nov 1926

here's the other end of that building in the Google image snapped on march 20 2011....

I have 100s of Pianta photos etc

Old 03-08-2013, 07:40 PM

2 posts, read 6,659 times
I remember the green gate club. I waitressed there one night. I was waitressing at Friskies a-go-go when my mgr who also managed the gate asked me to sub for a waitress that had laid out. It was my first time in a strip/burlesque and it was dark and funky. There were maybe 20 to 25 airmen and soldiers. I wasn't needed for long then I returned to Friskies. I remember Tommy's Inferno but never went there. There was a ***** Cat club over by the Hemisfair grounds. There was a Blues bar in the basement of one of the building downtown but I can't remember which. We also went to a place called the Rabbit Habbit over by Brackenridge park. I can't forget Randy's Rodeo. To much fun so many memories. What brought me to this forum tonight? The fire that burned down Friskies. I'm 63 so Friskies is older than me. I was 19 when I waitress there in 1969/70. Thanks for the stroll down memory lane.

Old 03-08-2013, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by betterice View Post
I remember the green gate club. I waitressed there one night. I was waitressing at Friskies a-go-go when my mgr who also managed the gate asked me to sub for a waitress that had laid out. It was my first time in a strip/burlesque and it was dark and funky. There were maybe 20 to 25 airmen and soldiers. I wasn't needed for long then I returned to Friskies. I remember Tommy's Inferno but never went there. There was a ***** Cat club over by the Hemisfair grounds. There was a Blues bar in the basement of one of the building downtown but I can't remember which. We also went to a place called the Rabbit Habbit over by Brackenridge park. I can't forget Randy's Rodeo. To much fun so many memories. What brought me to this forum tonight? The fire that burned down Friskies. I'm 63 so Friskies is older than me. I was 19 when I waitress there in 1969/70. Thanks for the stroll down memory lane.
bette, I'm 63 as well. three times old enough to buy beer.

lotsa memories of all those places.

grew up with the Green Gate Family.

the Rabbit Habit, was the definition of a dive. corner of Mulberry and N St Marys. what a rathole.

you musta misspelled the club in the shadow of the Smith Young Tower. correctly would be *Pusi Kat*.

heard the Yardbirds there and Jimi and others.

did you ever work any of these GoGo joints?? -

the Wet n Wild or the Intimate or the Peppermint

.........all gone, butt, and I do mean butt, not forgotten......

those WERE the good old DAZE.

my friend Billy pulled this sign outta the dumpster when they demolished the Peppermint.

it's now at his Roadhouse on Ranch to Market 473......

Last edited by *mud*; 03-08-2013 at 08:32 PM..

Old 03-08-2013, 08:34 PM

2 posts, read 6,659 times
It is now the home of the Diabetes Institute of Texas. So if you know where that is. I know it was on the west side and I know that it was a TB hospital and I knew it closed up but didn't know it had become the Diabetes Institute of Tx.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:11 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,391,187 times
Default I noticed your absence,

RJG, you were in my graduating class.
We are in best, odds, on the amount of punishment that could be infilcted by the school staff
at Connell Middle school. Coach Martin could not hit. Maybe he just did not choose to hit
me . Water off a ducks back.
Yes, you could hear the "Spats" echo up and down the hallways. Brute force ruled the day
at Connell Middle School back then, in the mid-sixties. Bend over , Ker-Whack!!!!!!!!!!!
Coach Martin was a real good person.
Culpepper swung a mean paddle, sadistic. Perhaps he just did not like me.
In the ninth grade , 1965, Mr. Schmidt never touched me in the hallway. I made very good grades in his class, maybe that is why not.
I do not know why or why not. He never touched me. I thought he was hilarious, though, Schmidt was. He remided me of Maxwell Smart of the I-Spy series, had the same haircut and large head and wedge haircut, and all from the same time period. Schmidt was a jokester.
What I can barely recall from his class , are good memories.
We maybe- know each other's identities, RJ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJ View Post
Huckster. I graduated from Highlands in 1970, went the Connell and Laura Steele. I remember Culpepper and Coach Martin very well. Culpepper couldn't hurt you, but Coach Martin and Principal Sinclair could. As could math teacher Mr. Jones and science teacher Mr. Schmidt. Mr. Schmidt used to pinch the top of your shoulder if you walked by him. Hurt like hell. Both of these teachers didn't send you to the office, they just took you out in the hall and gave you the spats, as they called them. You could hear them all the way down the halls,

I've been out of here for a while, but I'm back. Got some catching up to do

Old 03-08-2013, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *mud* View Post
thanx for the compliment on the photos.

what kinda work at St Anns??

yessir the Goggle imaged building is still there.

that was the Pianta Studios starting about 1913.

OK. here we go again.........

before 1913, the studio was here at 509 Leal. Hannibal's Father John, on the left.....

inside the Fred Rd studio. at least 13 folks here. Hannibal in the vest, right rear.

from the San Antonio Light newspaper Nov 1926

here's the other end of that building in the Google image snapped on march 20 2011....

I have 100s of Pianta photos etc
That's some great historical treasures you have there Mud! Probably A/C or electrical work at the School Mud. Love the stuff. Sorry for having you dig it up again Mud. It should be in a sticky thread for everyone to see! Great photographs and history. I'm glad you have them and share them. Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio