Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2013, 07:29 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,841,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Rider View Post
I'm 72 and happy to know I wasn't hallucinating the old Flame. Memory's the second thing that goes, ya know.
:-)
Your memory is pretty darn good Boss! Mine is already faring poorly. I'm scared to ask what's first but, must be hair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 06:01 PM

136 posts, read 331,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
I'm scared to ask what's first but, must be hair.
Well there may be hair involved, but the first thing to go is between your knees and your navel.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Rider View Post
Well there may be hair involved, but the first thing to go is between your knees and your navel.
Yeah my wallet went long ago...

Old 03-13-2013, 11:08 AM

61 posts, read 119,204 times
Speaking of Garcia's, great Mexican food. Back in the early 70's I lived just around the corner from there on Magnonlia St. Travel just a little south of there on South Flores and Poplar,.......MK Davis Party House,....cold cold beer and fried fish.

SA FREAK
Quote:
Originally Posted by *mud* View Post
OK. here we go........

don't know about Small World Hobby downtown.

ate at Garcia's this mornin. excellent as always. been eatin there for 40 plus years.
the old man is alive. and kickin. doesn't come in much anymore.
his sons are runnin the show now. good people.
they are doin barBQ now. butt, no, it's still Mexican.
in fact, this mornin they were loadin up for a BBQ cookoff.

not Golf Crest - Cool Crest.

part of St Ann's was originally the Uptown Theatre. later a gym.

always a Fred Road gem.
.GARCIA'S !! Man, thats my old stomppin grounds. I lived just around the corner from there back in the early 70's on Magnolia St. Great Mexican food ! Just travel a little south from there on the corner of Flores and Poplar,.......MK Davis,......cold cold beer and fried fish. Man What a place !!!

SA FREAK

Old 03-13-2013, 11:15 AM

61 posts, read 119,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
Friskies, the, Wet an Wild Club and Tommy's Inferno, the Peppermint Club, but I am not very proud of it.
Anymore.
I worked at the Fina gas station located directly next to Randy's Rodeo on Bandera Rd there at Hillcrest as a kid (17). That Randy's place was always packed with people on the weekend.
My high school chemistry teacher , whom taught me chemistry at Homes High School in 1970 , used to play music there with his band inside Randy's Rodeo dance hall on the weekends.
"George Chambers and the Country Gentlemen".
During the week he was Mr. Chambers the science teacher.
I used to pump Fina gasoline into cars outside and my 12th grade chemistry teacher would be playing country music inside Randy's.

The Wet and Wild Club, I remember that place. Mudpuddle, was that on Broadway north of downtown ?
I don't remember.
San Pedro maybe? Too many years ago ...Blanco Rd. ?
Great, snapshots , by the way.
Got to get me one of those cameras. How many megapixels is that thing ?
Speaking of Randy's,.......remember going there on Thursday nights back in the early 70's,.....free beer ( if you can believe that) for about an hour or so when the doors opened. they would have pitchers of beer lined up on the bar,.....help yourself !! They used to have a "Rent-A-Cop" at the front door to check your ID, (which was fake at the time), he would staple a colored ticket on your collar to let the bartender know you were old enough to drink.......what a deal. Cover charge I think was probably 2 or 3 bucks at the time.
SAFREAK

Old 03-13-2013, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAFREAK View Post
Speaking of Randy's,.......remember going there on Thursday nights back in the early 70's,.....free beer ( if you can believe that) for about an hour or so when the doors opened. they would have pitchers of beer lined up on the bar,.....help yourself !! They used to have a "Rent-A-Cop" at the front door to check your ID, (which was fake at the time), he would staple a colored ticket on your collar to let the bartender know you were old enough to drink.......what a deal. Cover charge I think was probably 2 or 3 bucks at the time.
SAFREAK
Free beer? I must have missed that. Yeah I spent a few nights at Randy's early 70's. Small dance floor small bar ...can't recall details like I.D checks or tagging. But likely never arrived early enough. Good times there. Good fill in between Quihi and Castoville's Westernland and Golden Stallion nights.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:31 PM

263 posts, read 480,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
Friskies, the, Wet an Wild Club and Tommy's Inferno, the Peppermint Club, but I am not very proud of it.
Anymore.
I worked at the Fina gas station located directly next to Randy's Rodeo on Bandera Rd there at Hillcrest as a kid (17). That Randy's place was always packed with people on the weekend.
My high school chemistry teacher , whom taught me chemistry at Homes High School in 1970 , used to play music there with his band inside Randy's Rodeo dance hall on the weekends.
"George Chambers and the Country Gentlemen".
During the week he was Mr. Chambers the science teacher.
I used to pump Fina gasoline into cars outside and my 12th grade chemistry teacher would be playing country music inside Randy's.

The Wet and Wild Club, I remember that place. Mudpuddle, was that on Broadway north of downtown ?
I don't remember.
San Pedro maybe? Too many years ago ...Blanco Rd. ?
Great, snapshots , by the way.
Got to get me one of those cameras. How many megapixels is that thing ?
I remember GEORGE CHAMBERS from HOLMES HIGH and yes he did perform alot at Randy's Rodeo.Us so called "long hairs" were not welcomed there.Four of us walked in one night,looked around a bit and walked out,with
5 cowboys following close behind.It wasn't like that at all the clubs you mentioned because we,the crew,oftened
were at those places,but I do recall after a long afternoon of movies at the TEXAS THEATER,we would sneak into "TOMMY'S INFERNO"just long enough to get a good long glimps of a beauty on stage.The song",Down on Main Street"by BOB SEIGER,reminds me of me when I was about 13,15yrs.old.That Mudpuddle was the infamous
Show Palace on Hidebrand at the railroad tracks.Got stuck there one night cause it flooded so bad during a storm,I was late in picking up my girlfriend who worked at Sommers Drug Store on Hiilcrest and Babcock

Last edited by albert soliz; 03-13-2013 at 08:44 PM..

Old 03-13-2013, 09:48 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,928,902 times
M K Davis, knew him well! He had the coldest beer in town. I don't remember what a schooner costs anymore but it was a lot of COLD beer for not much money. I was there every Thursday evening after work. His enchiladas were great too! I helped ol MK when he remodeled the thing back in the 70's. Did the carpentry work after I got off work. We had half of the construction materials industry over there working. He paid beer by the hour. We had a great time and he had some of the best in the industry bringing materials they just happened to have found on the way over to his place. MK was a great guy.

Old 03-14-2013, 04:10 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,296,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *mud* View Post
what's recently??

they closed shop a few months back. probably 5-6.

there was an auction, bought a few items.........
You're right, drove by there yesterday and it is now closed.

Old 03-14-2013, 04:12 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,296,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
Didn't know that GW. Was the catering place there since the 80's maybe under different name? I recall renting tables and such for a party early 80's from a place there on San Pedro. Aladdin maybe?
Superior had the big Indian I guess. Is the Indian still on w Loop 410?

Bet they had some great power tools.
It was probably a different catering place or dining hall. The current cantering place moved in a little after 2000. Sadly, one of the owners, the wife, died over a year ago. I think the husband is running it now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio