Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2013, 09:58 PM

5 posts, read 15,263 times

Advertisements

Is this Piccadilly Cafeteria @ Wonderland??
Building looks like it and it says Piccadilly Cafeteria in the middle of film.

Daddy and Kids - TAMI

Also does anyone have any Frost Bros or Rhodes pics? Did the Rhodes @ Wonderland have a
restaurant ?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2013, 11:22 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,620,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cogswell View Post
Is this Piccadilly Cafeteria @ Wonderland??
Building looks like it and it says Piccadilly Cafeteria in the middle of film.

Daddy and Kids - TAMI

Also does anyone have any Frost Bros or Rhodes pics? Did the Rhodes @ Wonderland have a
restaurant ?

Thanks!
I found this on :
The Department Store Museum: Frost Bros...

downtown Houston St. opposite the Majestic theater.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:21 PM

235 posts, read 424,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinator View Post
We moved from McMullen and Roosevelt area to Rainbow Hills in '72.

I don't have too many memories of the south side but I do remember my dad taking me out to the train yards and watch the trains go by.

I haven't seen much discussion of the Lackland, Valley High, & Rainbow Hills area so I thought I post some memories here...

I do remember going to the Valley Hi Drive-In. Shopping at Valley High Mall.

Our family would do the grocery shopping every other Thursday at Handy Andy. That was also the same day we would get to eat out (usually First Mate or Burger Chef before they closed down, then Oscar's after that).

Handy Andy at Military and Hwy 90 use to be about half a mile further west in a strip center that also had a Montgomery Wards (in-between Frontier and Colt). That strip center has an indoor walk corridor and is still located there.

There was a Western Auto east of the same strip center. (May be a furniture store now)

S&H carpets was west of the Montgomery Wards.

Oscar's Fried Chicken and Mexican Food, was in a small place East of Handy Andy and then moved to the other side on Colt Dr. It then became an insurance place and may now be a car lot.

Sizzler was at Rockgate and 90.

First Mate on Military is now the Arby's.

Burger Chef was in the building between the current Jack in the Box and Wendy's. I think it may have had a fire after Burger Chef was already gone.

Taco Bell and Kentucky Fried Chicken on Rockgate.

There was a club behind the McDonalds (name escapes me at the moment) but turned into an autoparts store.

The strip center with Baskin-Robbins had a Fargo's Pizza and Bonanza was next door.

The Bill Millers on Military use to be a lumber yard.

China Rose use to be Quik Wok (It did not stay in business too long)

There was an Orange Goose daycare further up north on Military.

We had a local newspaper (Citizen-News I think) that was published at Military and Remuda.

There was a Kenny's Shoes at Military before you reached the Marbach intersection.

The strip center at Military and Marbach had a Ben Franklin's (became a flea market for awhile after the store closed), a grocery store (name escapes me, maybe Food City?), and the Westwood Twin Cinema.

Marbach Rd. had a Pizza Inn (next to the Dairy Queen), Sonic (was empty for a long time then Dominos moved in),

There was a Hungry Farmer on Marbach which is now a Tio Chino.

There use to be a convience store next to John Jay HS. I'm fairly sure it turned into Texas Driving School for awhile and then a bakery outlet (Mrs. Bairds?).

The G.W. Jr's was next to Church's and is now a Bejing Express.

The strip center at Meadow Leaf and 410 (near Marbach and 410) use to have a H.E.B. and a Cloth World. The big building next to the strip center was a Wolco, then a Builders Square, and then a warehouse for a furiture store. It's now an events center. The Action Pawn at Marbach and 410 use to be a small strip center. I think Golden Wok was there for a while and there may have been a wall collapse during a storm while it was under construction.

Across 410 from the Exxon, there was a Handy Dan. Krogers was at that intersection for awhile until they left town.

There was Mercado Mall (name changed to Westlakes-Mercado) in the 80's-90's at 410 and Marbach that had Target and Montgomery Wards. Now it's a HEB Plus and strip center. I think the old Mongomery Wards turned Bealls is the only structure that survived from the original mall. Spent lots of time at that mall, favorite places included Diamond Jim's (arcade), Radio Shack (test driving the TRS-80 computers), and Chik-Fil-A.

The first Burger King in San Antonio was located on Military (across from Arby's, the Burger King site use to be a gas station). The building is so small because the city would not let them tear down the gas station. For storage they had to put in a basement because the building was so small (I worked there from opening day in 1985 through 1986)

The west end of Marbach use to have a couple of big hills. We used to call it the roller coaster. A couple of friends in school died there in a roll over accident.

Convenience Stores in the area included a Lone Star at Horal and Hwy 90. U-tote-M at 90 and Hunt Lane (turned into a Circle K). Mr. M at Adams Hill and Hunt lane. Stop and Go at Demya and 410.

that HEB at 410 and marbach is where dog the bounty hunter got into trouble back in the late 60's or early 70's. story has it that dogs friend at the time was doing a drug deal. something went bad, and dogs friend shot a killed the drug dealer. dog was still an accomplice, and served prison time in Texas, and was released around 1978. i have no idea how much time his friend served.

[per wikipedia]...In 1976, Chapman and another gang member were buying marijuana in Texas, and Chapman was waiting in the car while the other gang member shot and killed the drug dealer. Because of Texas law at that time, Chapman was charged with first-degree murder and sentenced to five years in prison. He served eighteen months at Texas State Penitentiary in Huntsville, TX. While Duane was in prison, Duane's wife LaFonda divorced him and married his best friend. Duane did field work and served as the warden's barber. A prison guard inspired him to become a bounty hunter during an incident where Chapman tackled an inmate about to be shot for attempting to escape.[15] Because of this felony conviction, Chapman is not allowed to own a firearm.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gy2020 View Post
Back in ther 60's i worked at several of the Mr. M stores in SA. I was a relief manager. I gave the manager a day Rd. Callaghan and Blanco (relief) Olmas Park (relief). Cherry Ridge & 410 (permanent location) is now a series of law offices. Fredericksburg Road near the drive-in was another permanent locatioin.
here is where an old Mr M food store used to be located. it was on blanco road going north, just pass oblate and the catholic church, on the right side @ Atwater Street in Castle Hills....
Mr. M Food Store[on Blanco, North Of Oblate @ Atwater Drive]2013 Photo by Darryl_Glen_Pearson | Photobucket

Old 04-02-2013, 07:39 PM

ouch!...well, here is the murf burgerson west ave...before it goes into the history books...enjoy!

Murf's Burgers[west Ave.]2013 Photo by Darryl_Glen_Pearson | Photobucket

Old 04-02-2013, 11:48 PM

here is the old sambo's at IH 10 & vance jackson, right next to Starbucks...

Sambo's @ Vance Jackson And IH 10-2013 Photo by Darryl_Glen_Pearson | Photobucket

Old 04-02-2013, 11:54 PM

here is a quick note: i cannot remember if it was sambos or dennys who had the "game" scratch off cards for a free meal if you got the answer right. they would hand out game scratch tickets after your meal. there was a question with a multiple choice, and if you scratched off the correct choice, you brought the card in the next time for a free meal. anyone remember that??

Old 04-03-2013, 12:42 AM

anyone remember Andy's Pool Hall? it was on blanco road headed south, between dresden and weizmann. lotsa pool tables and the latest "pinball machines". andy was a nice guy. friendly, quiet, and he didn't take any crap. if you caused trouble in there he would flat out tell you to leave. i spent a lot of time in that place.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:00 AM

when i was a young man in my teens, i would hang with a friend of mine on gazel street. name was ronnie mcneil. his dad worked on tv sets in his garage on the corner house behind dellview plaza. and he was good at it. i remember his mom whistled like a songbird. i always thought she was some kind of professional entertainer. i played little league baseball with him at tucker field, which has been gone for quite some time. those sure were some good times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio